advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adamdea
I had never heard of Arch until you mentioned it. I am currently running Volumio on my Pi2. Does Arch offer any advantages, particularly in SQ?
Arch is not music playing software it is a version of linux. Basically it's about the most stripped down hardcore version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux

The short answer is that it offers the advantage of ultimate purity and user unfriendliness. If server-tweaks did make a difference to SQ, it would be the thing to use.

Triode, the celebrated (but sadly AFAIK currently incommunicado) LMS plugin writer decided to create a way of running LMS on arch. This was apparently to avoid licensing problems, not because he thought it would sound better than Debian or whatever. I think the point was that he wanted to avoid using any processes which might require licensing

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?101624-Announce-Squeeze-on-Arch-developer-version

I'm not sure whether there is a Pi2 version. I spent some time installing it on my cubox-i but had a quite a few problems with it breaking whenever I updated LMS. That said other people got it working and quite a few people seem to use it on a variety of machines especially wandboards and pis. There was never enough of a cubox-i community using it to make it really viable for casual users like me.

The basic point is simply that if one really wants a stripped down operating system then its daft to start off with windows and then buy something which turns off a few of its processes: the logical thing is to start with a really stripped down OS and add only what is necessary, which is of course what you do with linux, to a greater or lesser extent depending on what flavour you are using. It's also a great thing to use for a server which you want to be ultra stable and reliable. Case in point- I recentyl resurrected my 8 year old PC in my office, which was pretty useless at running windows when I retired it 5 years ago. It runs very happily on the latest version of Debian. I use it for two things- playing music in my office using LMS and RDPing into my main computer. I have it set up with a standing desk which I use whever the fancy (or back pain) takes me. I can seemlessly move onto that machine while in the middle of drafting a document and the cursor is winking at exactly the same spot in the document. Total cost=zero. It has been running for a few months since I last switched it off and has never crashed.

This point about both efficiency and reliability was made forcefully in the squeezebox forums when server OS tweaks were suggested. There were alot of very experienced and knowledgeable linux users on that forum; unsurprisingly as they were basically the ones who adopted streaming first.

Anyway you can rest assured that if you are using volumio on a pi you are already using an efficient solution. I reckon you should choose software based on features and UI. That said I quite enjoy playing around with things like pis. It's like DIY without the solder burns.

The full width, slot loading MDAC2 ought to make your Primare CD player surplus to requirements (unless you want a spare).

Thanks moosemeat,I'm just getting everything perfectly clear in my head as we are now beginning to approach "make your mind up time".
I think that the only real attraction for me in the wide chassis is the enhanced psu. . . I like the idea of that,otherwise I'd be happy to carry on with the present set up as I run my MDAC outside it's chassis.

Adamdea
I had never heard of Arch until you mentioned it. I am currently running Volumio on my Pi2. Does Arch offer any advantages, particularly in SQ?

Hi iansr

If you re only looking for streaming music and wish to give Arch a try, have a look there (an Arch version of volumio, in a way).
It is very lightweight, fast on boot and rock solid (as far as I m concerned). It has all the functionality needed (if you use it, be aware that experience with airplay seem to vary from one setup to another, but it can be fixed). I stream high res flac from a NAS wirelessly (NOT using the cubox on-board module) without any issue at all.
Setting up the systems requires editing few files, but nothing impossible.
The same way as for volumio, you can load different kernel profiles/try your own settings and decide which sounds best to you, and you can control it from webUI or phone/tablet app.
Just try it!

Thanks moosemeat,I'm just getting everything perfectly clear in my head as we are now beginning to approach "make your mind up time".
I think that the only real attraction for me in the wide chassis is the enhanced psu. . . I like the idea of that,otherwise I'd be happy to carry on with the present set up as I run my MDAC outside it's chassis.

I totally agree with Brian (except the bit about running without its chassis - not sure about that). There doesn’t seem to be anything in the wide chassis for me except the HQ power supply. I love my MDAC. I only use it for CDs from my Meridian 200 transport, and would not want a slot loader. They may be OK for once only ripping but I wouldn’t trust them for playing a CD time after time over many years. Will the HQPS be significantly better than an MCRU or others? I put off buying one because I thought JohnW was developing his own. I would prefer to buy one from him if possible. John – could you provide a HQPS to fit in a case by us? I'm really looking forward to MDAC2 , probably with L2 XSQ and any ‘Fusion’ upgrades.

Thanks everyone.
Martin

It would be interesting to try a decent (linear) power supply with the Regen,

Having now done back-to-back listening with the bench psu, I can confirm that there is a definite if more subtle improvement: more detail and definition, most noticeable initially in the percussion but over time it becomes apparent throughout. So a baby psu gets added to my job list.
(And roll on MDAC2! :) )

However, I wouldn't describe it as a leap forward but as more of the same. Given that you didn't hear a benefit to start with, adding a commercial psu may not make sense unless you can pick one up second-hand.

Hi John

I understand you are not a fan of the design, you mentioned mods can be made. What is your opinion of what can be done and how will it improve the performance?

I might be interested in acquiring 4 MBs

Many Thanks

JohnW just another question on the slave units:
how many slaves will fit inside the mdac2 big chassis? Just one or two? Will the power supply be enough to power the 3 boards without compromising the stereo quality?

Still making decisions...
Have a safe trip!

Regards,
Ricardo

how many slaves will fit inside the mdac2 big chassis? Just one or two? Will the power supply be enough to power the 3 boards without compromising the stereo quality?

Have a safe trip!

Regards,
Ricardo

Now that's not a bad idea if it can fit !

Mind you, these can be put out of sight so might be a waste to hide the chassis

Have a safe trip!

Regards,
Ricardo
I think that John has answered this question before and the answer was that there is not room for more than one board. Remember the psu also take up space.

...if the full width chassis is a little bit higher than MDAC1 chassis, Mr John could slot one board just above the other, then 2 x MDAC2 boards above each other!? ;-)

It would be nice to have a Slave for BiAmping, so one could cut the bass or mids frequencies to optimise Amplifier energies at Crossover points because 90% of speaker designs are BiAmp

Don't forget the digital board which will be mounted upside down above the mainboard. I don't think that a normal height (about MDAC height) full width chassis can support more than one MDAC2 board.

Personally I prefer the modularity of one dac per chassis.

No problems running Windows 10 Pro x64, J. River MC 20 and MDAC (wasapi)

Just upgraded to W10 from 8.1 32 bit. Nothing coming through the M-dac. On the computer side, playback devices is showing connection with m-dac, meters bouncing merrily, but no output from m-dac. ??

You have to reconfigure the output device. IIRC the volume is set to 0 after the upgrade. Also deactivate all windows plugins, set default format to 24/44.1 and enable both exclusive access options.

You have to reconfigure the output device. IIRC the volume is set to 0 after the upgrade. Also deactivate all windows plugins, set default format to 24/44.1 and enable both exclusive access options.

Thanks. Still nothing. Interesting to know if other Windows 10 users are having difficulty. Everything works fine with my W8.1 computer.

No problems with my workstation and 2nd MDAC either. Maybe a problem with the 32bit version?

Can you give us some system specs? Do you know which mainboard/chipset you're using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back