advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

You helped me out with some M-DAC issues a couple of months back, for which many thanks. Now I have another problem. Mine is the standard M-DAC with the latest firmware connected via USB to my iMac. I've been running OS X Snow Leopard for some years and today upgraded to Lion as I needed to for work purposes. Sounds leaner than it used to, which isn't a major issue, but I now have what sound like drop-outs. I'm using Audirvana as my media plsyer, but the problem also occurs when playing discs in iTunes. Any advice gratefully received. Best d

John
I'd like 2 slave units please. Do I have to do anything in addition to this post? Eg send you some money?
Ian

Phil,

I have a basement full of brand new 8200MBs (Silver or Black) - I could do these for GBP800 a pair + Shipping, I'll also modify them so they sound better :)

With your VFets for the main speakers....

With the Oppo digital extraction card you would have a nice AV system :)

Thanks John. If you have a moment could you email me a running total of 2 Mdac2 slaves plus the 3 8200 amps , and the balance of what I have in credit, after mdac2 payment and full width chassis XSQ. I'd also be upgrading my centre speaker and surrounds. Plus no house move yet ...so I'm thinking it's probably a bit early for me to make this decision, but never say never :)

Sadly the time is approaching where I'll have to close the MDAC2 / MDAC2 Slave order books as I need to arrange production with a firm number of units - recently I've had a few requests, so if anyone's undecided it will be your last opportunity to join our project :(

How do you want to go about this John? Do you want us all to reply to you confirming our orders or what?

If the full width chassis is confirmed for Christmas delivery, I'd be tempted to go for 1 x xSQ L3 full width chassis with wifi and 1 x xSQ L2 MDAC2 board with wifi to upgrade my current MDAC.

Confirming like this doesn't seem ideal, given all the options available.

Cheers,
Bruce

Hi John,

I'm sure you'll find that everybody will want the XSQ version - I know I certainly do (I've always preferred FETs to bipolar transistors).

Regarding the USB vs. coax debate, I am amazed that so many people prefer CD players to computers. For me, it's absolutely no contest: I was stunned by the magnitude of the difference, and it's seriously in favour of USB. This is even true if I play the CD directly on my computer (which suggests it's about the interface, rather than the playback format).

How do you want to go about this John? Do you want us all to reply to you confirming our orders or what?

If the full width chassis is confirmed for Christmas delivery, I'd be tempted to go for 1 x xSQ L3 full width chassis with wifi and 1 x xSQ L2 MDAC2 board with wifi to upgrade my current MDAC.

Confirming like this doesn't seem ideal, given all the options available.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce,

Its not so much about final Specs. at this stage, but just to know how many PCB's I'll be arranging to manufacture.

Final Specs of each unit will be requested via Email once we request the "PCB at Cost" payments.

When I meet vendors the first question will be how many PCB's I require - I'd look pretty unproffesional if I could not confirm a firm number :D

Thanks John. If you have a moment could you email me a running total of 2 Mdac2 slaves plus the 3 8200 amps , and the balance of what I have in credit, after mdac2 payment and full width chassis XSQ. I'd also be upgrading my centre speaker and surrounds. Plus no house move yet ...so I'm thinking it's probably a bit early for me to make this decision, but never say never :)

Phil,

I'm guessing you want x3 8200MB Monoblocks (so x3 audio channels)?

Renata's added you for x2 slaves - I'll PM you.

Hi guys

You helped me out with some M-DAC issues a couple of months back, for which many thanks. Now I have another problem. Mine is the standard M-DAC with the latest firmware connected via USB to my iMac. I've been running OS X Snow Leopard for some years and today upgraded to Lion as I needed to for work purposes. Sounds leaner than it used to, which isn't a major issue, but I now have what sound like drop-outs. I'm using Audirvana as my media plsyer, but the problem also occurs when playing discs in iTunes. Any advice gratefully received. Best d

Daniel,

We had an earlier report of this issue, sadly the "Bugs" on Apples side and I very much doubt they will resolve it...

You could Try A08 software to see if this resolves the issue.

Last option would be instead to use the SPDIF output of your iMAC.

John
I'd like 2 slave units please. Do I have to do anything in addition to this post? Eg send you some money?
Ian

Ian & Bruce

Ian :) we added you to the list for x2 Slaves - it would be appreciated if you could send payment as I'm starting to purchase long leadtime parts for the the MDAC2 & VFET amps projects and the invoices quickly add up!

I'm also expecting to foot a heavy bill for the chassis prototypes the vendor seems very keen to bill for every move! still there quality is very good so I don't mind paying and am keen to keep them happy :)

There is a payment option for the MDAC2 Slave units on our webpage:-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Hi John,

If I go for a PCB (should be fully paid up) & a chassis, how much more should I pay now?

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce, nothing ATM, but if you would like a Slave unit then an extra GBP300 (the discounted Slave MDAC2 development fee).

If your funds are tight ATM, then I can reserve you a Slave PCB so we have the PCB added to our production total - then you can send funds once they are available :)

Having a confirmed total number of PCB for production is more important then funds ATM :)

Hi John,

OK, I would like a L3 with chassis and L2 PCB. I will pay the GBP300 now.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Bruce

Hi John,

I am trying to decide on slave units. So, the cost is GBP300 for development, about GBP600-800 for PCBs, and additional GBP350 for the case and PSU. That's GBP1250-1450.

Is that about right?

Thanks John. Any chance of seeing the comparison of the standard version.

Here is the 0dB THD Balanced (Transistor version). This is an earlier measurement, I expect a 1dB to 2dB improvement with latest build, but currently the PCB is populated with the MOSFETs and I have no time to replace them with x16 transistors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/M2BL0DB.jpg

And here is the -60dB Dynamic range measurement:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC260D.jpg

At 20KHz the noisefloor is the same for both the transistor and MOS version, but at Low Frequencies you can see the noise floor sloping upwards with the MOS version.

Also is the difference between the noise floor at the two levels expected?

100% expected due to practical dynamic range limitations of Audio analysers, no audio analyser is able to display a noise floor around -165dB to -170dB with a full scale 0dB signal which is why DR measurement are made at -60dB.

If you search, I recall seeing an AES Spec. for dynamic range measurements that explains in detail.

Hi John,

I am trying to decide on slave units. So, the cost is GBP300 for development, about GBP600-800 for PCBs, and additional GBP350 for the case and PSU. That's GBP1250-1450.

Is that about right?

Yes :) presuming your only gong for x1 full width case for your Master MDAC2 and the slave unit will be housed in the MDAC chassis.

I'm expecting the full width chassis to cost GBP300 - GBP400 each (Including the HQ PSU & Display).

Also "about GBP600-800 for PCBs" is the cost for BOTH Master and Slave pcbs, so GBP300-400 each for L2 non ADC versions.

Phil,

Hi John

You have piqued my interest with the 8200s as I understand you have a number to dispose of :)

Now, IIRC you are not a fan of the design but mentioned mods can be made. What is your opinion of what can be done and the amps relative performance?

I could very well be interested in acquiring a few.

Thanks

I have a "salvaged reconditioned unit" stored with you, if I decide to go for a full width chassis, is it possible to use that as a slave unit?
I also had some resistors shipped to you, wich I guess will not be possible to use in the MDAC2, maybe it would be a good idea to turn the salvaged unit to a MDAC1 fusion unit?
What is your recomendation regarding this John?

I'll try a linear psu today, and have the parts to build a compact low current one if the 20A one improves things. As Rune says, it's all good fun.

It seems to me that there are (at least) three distinct ways of addressing the USB jitter problem: software - Windows Server 2012R2 + AO; external hardware - Regen etc.; internal hardware - as in proper USB isolation of the DAC.
The fact that Discovery finds no benefit from the Regen leaves me very impressed with the software approach - there's clearly little or nothing left for it to clean up.

Listening through 'phones last night (apologies for the cliche') I was hearing detail on a familiar album that I hadn't been aware of before. So in my current system it definitely works.

Finally, for those of us condemned to using Microsoft products, Windows 10 is almost with us, and is supposedly far more music-friendly than 7 or 8: so maybe the smart thing to do is wait for MDAC2 and try Windows 10 before splashing out on 'fixes'. I guess I'm just too impatient to take my own advice.

The forum has livened up a little in the past few days but I do feel obliged to clarify things from an earlier post.

It would be interesting to try a decent (linear) power supply with the Regen, having only tried it with the supplied unit. Widespread reports do suggest improved performance if a better one is used but, having not heard any apparent improvement so far, I'm disinclined to spend any more money. However, if there are any forum members in the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire area who might have an appropriate power supply and wish to see what a Regen can do, it would be interesting to explore the option. This might also allow a second opinion on my ears, which is another of the variables in the situation, although I'm enjoying music more since getting Quad 989's than ever before so I don't think I'm too far adrift.

I stated that I had a Win Server 2012 PC with Audiophile Optimiser. This was another one of my recent experiments. It would be wrong to assume this is an optimum specification because I didn't find it improved the sound over the prior Win 7 with all the usual OS audio optimisations. Fortunately, this was a trial so was cost-free.

I hope this helps.

Phil,

John I,ve replied to your pm.

Just need to double check and confirm final payments before committing.

And yes it would be three channels.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back