advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes :) presuming your only gong for x1 full width case for your Master MDAC2 and the slave unit will be housed in the MDAC chassis.

I'm expecting the full width chassis to cost GBP300 - GBP400 each (Including the HQ PSU & Display).

Also "about GBP600-800 for PCBs" is the cost for BOTH Master and Slave pcbs, so GBP300-400 each for L2 non ADC versions.

Thanks for clarification, John. I will need L3 in full width chassis and L2 PCBs for one Slave. I have already paid up for L3. I will make the payment for one Slave PCBs now.

Another question, sorry if I missed it before, would it be possible to have the slave unit in its own full size chassis of some kind without the display but with PSU? I am thinking if the cost is right I can use my existing MDAC elsewhere.

Here is the 0dB THD Balanced (Transistor version). This is an earlier measurement, I expect a 1dB to 2dB improvement with latest build, but currently the PCB is populated with the MOSFETs and I have no time to replace them with x16 transistors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/M2BL0DB.jpg

And here is the -60dB Dynamic range measurement:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC260D.jpg

At 20KHz the noisefloor is the same for both the transistor and MOS version, but at Low Frequencies you can see the noise floor sloping upwards with the MOS version.

100% expected due to practical dynamic range limitations of Audio analysers, no audio analyser is able to display a noise floor around -165dB to -170dB with a full scale 0dB signal which is why DR measurement are made at -60dB.

If you search, I recall seeing an AES Spec. for dynamic range measurements that explains in detail.
Thanks John. Comparing the -60dB measurements, the difference does not look too dramatic over 6Khz. Are those tiny mains components peaking through on the transistor version?

On the 0dB measurements, am I going mad or are the distortion components on the MOSFET actually lower? -especially the third harmonic.

Hello John,

do you have some more details on the Full With Chassis appearance? Maybe some drafted front layouts or sample pictures from the vendor. Only to get a rough idea how the chassis later will look like. This would be really helpful to make a rough estimate for the WAF factor :D

And could you please confirm that it will be possible to use the Slave MDAC2 as standalone units as well.

Cheers!

It would be wrong to assume this is an optimum specification because I didn't find it improved the sound over the prior Win 7 with all the usual OS audio optimisations......I hope this helps.

Well it certainly helps me. On the one hand I'm tempted by WSR2+AO on a dedicated machine; on the other, if there's no benefit it's a lot of money wasted. (And John has hinted that he and Dominik may have something up their sleeves.)

I'd be interested in what you mean by 'all the usual OS audio optimizations': there's a lot going on inside my laptop which I'd like to freeze at will. If I can figure out how to generate the key, the Pro version of Fidelizer seems to be the next logical step, unless you know better?

I haven't tried the linear psu on the Regen yet - boxes full of parts but no spare 5.5x2.1 power plug = Sod's Law. One should arrive tomorrow, though.

Well it certainly helps me. On the one hand I'm tempted by WSR2+AO on a dedicated machine; on the other, if there's no benefit it's a lot of money wasted. (And John has hinted that he and Dominik may have something up their sleeves.)

I'd be interested in what you mean by 'all the usual OS audio optimizations': there's a lot going on inside my laptop which I'd like to freeze at will. If I can figure out how to generate the key, the Pro version of Fidelizer seems to be the next logical step, unless you know better?

I haven't tried the linear psu on the Regen yet - boxes full of parts but no spare 5.5x2.1 power plug = Sod's Law. One should arrive tomorrow, though.
If you want a dedicated media server and you think it will sound between by turning stuff off, why start with windows? Why not use Linux and avoid having pointless stuff on in the first place? Use any old pc and off you go. If the mdac 2 will work with an Rpi usb output, then you can have an entirely dedicated ultra low power music server & if you want to be really hardcore you can run Arch on it. Total cost about £30 excluding storage

Compared with that, windows optimisation is like trying to create a bicycle by sawing a car in half.

Yes :) I'm expecting the full width chassis to cost GBP300 - GBP400 each (Including the HQ PSU & Display).

My understanding of the HQ PSU was that it would only go ahead if it was shown to provide improved SQ over the std PSU? Is that still the case or has one been built and shown to provide improved SQ?

Should the HQ PSU not provide significant improvement in SQ then would there be anything to be gained by using the FWC?

What would be the position for those who go the original DIY route and fit the MDAC2 PCB into their existing MDAC's, how would they be able to add the HQ PSU if it was proved to provide improved SQ? Would they then have to purchase a FWC as well?

I'm enjoying music more since getting Quad 989's than ever before

Good to hear another Quad ESL fan on board.

I'm currently working on some upgrades for mine.

New capacitors, more open 'safety' grill, more open socks and steel bracing frame as per the current 2912 model.

My understanding of the HQ PSU was that it would only go ahead if it was shown to provide improved SQ over the std PSU? Is that still the case or has one been built and shown to provide improved SQ?

Should the HQ PSU not provide significant improvement in SQ then would there be anything to be gained by using the FWC?

What would be the position for those who go the original DIY route and fit the MDAC2 PCB into their existing MDAC's, how would they be able to add the HQ PSU if it was proved to provide improved SQ? Would they then have to purchase a FWC as well?

You can already buy a Linear PSU for the MDAC an example is the one from McRU it will cost you £360.

So the £400 target price John suggested sounds like a bargain if it is possible.

I will definitely go for the FWC it is an opportunity not to be missed!

I'm just about to packup the laptop for the trip to HK, so I'll try and reply once I'm in the airport lounge in Paris tomorrow evening - otherwise I land in HK on the evening of the 29th however the apartment has no internet so I'm not sure when I'll be back online...

But I'll keep posting updates when possible :)

Very sad to leave Renata and our little gang of pups (Bobby, Paris, Ella & Annie) - after my horrid experience at IAG, its rather tainted my view of China - even though thankfully I'll be spending as much time as possible in HK...It has to be done!!!

Lets just hope MDAC2 and the VFET amps are worth it :)

I'm just about to packup the laptop for the trip to HK, so I'll try and reply once I'm in the airport lounge in Paris tomorrow evening - otherwise I land in HK on the evening of the 29th however the apartment has no internet so I'm not sure when I'll be back online...

But I'll keep posting updates when possible :)

Very sad to leave Renata and our little gang of pups (Bobby, Paris, Ella & Annie) - after my horrid experience at IAG, its rather tainted my view of China - even though thankfully I'll be spending as much time as possible in HK...It has to be done!!!

Lets just hope MDAC2 and the VFET amps are worth it :)

Bon voyage, hope it doesn't prove too daunting and provides instead some unexpected happy moments.

I

John,
I like to go for a full width chassis whith cd slot for MDAC2 when it becomes available. It will fit the VFETs :cool:. My understanding is that you can repair the salvaged MDAC1 pcb, you have organised for me, for a later reswap when the chassis is no longer needed? If so, my order is well placed and you have another customer for a full width mdac2 chassis. Have a nice and smooth trip to Hong Kong!!

Best,
Jan-Peter

Hi John,

I hope the trip goes well. I'm still monitoring the forum on an almost daily basis but staying 'quiet'. The excitement is mounting. Congratulations on the excellent progress on the analogue board.

As you'll be needing numbers for the pending casework I'd just like to flag my interest in the 'MDAC2 Wide' with the CD slot loader.

Best wishes to you and Renata.

Roger.

A trip to HK sounds so glamorous but I expect the reality is different to the seasoned traveller...

I would also like to express an interest in the full width chassis with CD slot loader.

Enjoy your trip as much as possible and we'll all look forward to hearing how you get on.

Nick

Hi John,

Your PM box is full so thought I might as well post here.

I have sat back for a few days since I told you I needed to pull out of the MDAC 2 experience and have continued to read the forum pages with the same excitement. In fact it has lead me to slightly rearrange my plans regarding MDAC2. I am going to sell my MDAC and the Audiolab CDT but continue to pay for an MDAC2 L2 full width unit with CD transport if that is ok with you? I will be in no rush as to when I receive the completed unit. Indeed I may well ask you to hold onto it should things turn nasty with the courts (fingers crossed they won't). I don't see why I should dip out when we have done nothing wrong.

Have a great time in Hong Kong. Appreciate you are on business but it is a great place to be.

Best wishes

Trevor

Tried this in a separate thread but no replies. Anyone?

I have an Audiolab MDAC but am considering a 8200DQ for its analog inputs. Is the sound quality of the two the same? How does the DQ handle volume control? Is it analog for the analog inputs and digital for the digital inputs?

Tried this in a separate thread but no replies. Anyone?

I have an Audiolab MDAC but am considering a 8200DQ for its analog inputs. Is the sound quality of the two the same? How does the DQ handle volume control? Is it analog for the analog inputs and digital for the digital inputs?

The MDAC is a later revision of the design and should provide better SQ.

You can set the volume control on the DQ to analog or digital on a global level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back