advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an outsider on this. Like a few blokes I can imagine I'm not alone in not realising just what the "MDAC first listen" thread was all about.

I joined PFM and only renewed my interest in hifi after this project was muted.
I'd not a clue what the MDAC thread was about and never even read it as I had my own MDAC and was over the moon with it.

However, John is kindly now doing some work on my DAC and the penny dropped as to what is evolving after speaking to him.
Hence I've now been catching up on the thread over the last few days.

I think it's great what John and the backers of this project are trying to achieve, it's bloody great when a group of blokes do things like this, I've experienced it before in the car club I'm a member of.

I also see some chaps are not 100% happy for varying reasons as the programme evolves, that is life and with things like this is normal and not something anyone should take flack for.....it's only a hobby.

I've an idea to put to John. I personally like what's happening, I trust John and know he's a good bloke. To ease any financial constraints that may sap time of development and to also maybe help out with any monies needed to be paid back to people for the chassis ,how about opening up the pre. order books once more to guys like me who knew nothing about this until a couple of weeks ago.

i.e. a new thread inviting backers in no uncertain terms. Deal would be you make a one off payment to put you on par with what the other guys that have paid via the instalments.......is it 400e/£?

I'd probably be in and I'm sure a good few more may be in too. Maybe that would give John the financial boost to really attack this and be confident that a cracking product was put together and supplied in double quick time.

Only a thought.

Hi Kenny,

The the development installment for the FUSION L2 version is GBP400 - with the PCB sold "At Cost" of GBP300 to GBP400 + the FWC (Full Width Chassis) at about GBP250.

We will try to minimize the cost of the "At Cost" PCB + FWC.

Will any of this room optimisation and equalisation etc which miniDSP brings to the party be of any use to some one like me who simply plays CDs and is only interested in the best possible SQ from two channel stereo?
Also, would the cd slot have any SQ advantages over my Primare CD player which was a very expensive (£1600 top of the range in 2002 )which I use as a transport.Thanks

Brian,

The DSP's are used for "House keeping" functions on the MDAC2 design (Advance Clock Control, Digital filterin and a couple of other features I have planned).

The "Basic functions" require little DSP power, so the reserved DSP power can be used for other applications such as Room correction etc. if your require - its nice to have the future flexibility.

The LandWind is a bad joke aimed at destroying decades of Land Rover IP and development. The WTO should act. I just hope the Fusion Dac is not copied before it's delivered. How quickly the Chinese copied John's heatsink design was amazing and worrying!

Tim,

In fact it would have been "Me" copying the original design!!! - as the Chinese vendor offered the design to me, I have no idea they had just copied another customers design until I visited the HK HiFi show!

So VAT(25%)+import tax + handling fee(16£) are all likely to be added to the price of the fwc MDAC2 because it will be produced in and shipped from the HK rather than in the Czeck Republic?
Or did I misunderstand anything?
Kind regards
Peter

Peter,

Tax and Vat always have to be paid - I would pay Vat and Duty on the components / units when I import or purchase components.

HK is VAT free so we would not be burdened with VAT when we purchase components etc for manufacture, but Import Duty and VAT would need to be paid once shipped to the overseas Customer - Theirs no way to avoid paying TAX's, this is a fact of life.

The units are sold at cost, which reduces the taxable amount. As we will not be paying TAX on the components etc. during manufacture and the units are sold at cost - the next TAX cost is the same if we manufacture in HK or Europe.

If I purchase components in Europe I pay Tax (and they are crazy expensive in the first instance), if I ship to Europe I pay tax, as we sell at cost the net difference is basically zero (cheaper in fact as "like for like" components are vastly cheaper in Asia).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back