advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice: I may try the Bel Canto with the MDAC just out of interest - but pleased I won't need to bother with USB conversion via an additional piece of kit. I keep thinking 'This is it - now just sit back and enjoy the music!' But then find myself greedy for the next little increment.
Maybe the MDAC2 really will be my last purchase. :D

(Incidentally, on a previous topic, I tried a couple of modified XLR-to-RCA converters: hard to hear any real difference, but then the cheap hook-up wire inside them hardly inspired confidence. Tempted to re-wire them and report back, but would hate to start another slanging match.)

Hello,

While waiting for the third installment i decided to buy a shure SRH 1840 to assist my mdac. The result is out of what i've expected. I already have SRH 940, Senn 595 and 600, sony yba 3 but this one sounds so nice that i cant get out of my seat for hours !

Mirrors my experience to the T...

More people should give this model a try. It's also very comfortable.

Most likely revealing my lack of knowledge in this, however it seems as many highly regarded DAC´s recently are based on Transformer Output (whatever that is) has received highest praise. For example these DAC´s:

Aqua Saga
- - http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

Lumin A1
-- http://www.luminmusic.com/specification.html

Linn Klimax
-- http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players/klimax-ds

My question is that if I build XLR to RCA interconnections with transformers (Lundahls), expensive, yes, but do I then implement a transformer output of some kind or is it a waste of funds? Like these:

- - http://www.4tubes.com/SCHEMATICS/LU...put-transformers/XLR-to-RCA-with-LL1570X0.JPG

/Lars

Mirrors my experience to the T...

More people should give this model a try. It's also very comfortable.

I had no idea that Shure still made HQ headphones - I've always considered Shure as Low to middle of the road these days.... but nice if they are back into the Hi-end :)

Most likely revealing my lack of knowledge in this, however it seems as many highly regarded DAC´s recently are based on Transformer Output (whatever that is) has received highest praise. For example these DAC´s:

Aqua Saga
- - http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

Lumin A1
-- http://www.luminmusic.com/specification.html

Linn Klimax
-- http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players/klimax-ds

My question is that if I build XLR to RCA interconnections with transformers (Lundahls), expensive, yes, but do I then implement a transformer output of some kind or is it a waste of funds? Like these:

- - http://www.4tubes.com/SCHEMATICS/LU...put-transformers/XLR-to-RCA-with-LL1570X0.JPG

/Lars

Lars,

I'm not a big fan of transformers as they can only destroy the Bass response & Phase - but there are most likely many used in the Studio signal path...

Here in the land of Czech the "Stars" are slowly aligning :)

I've started working on the Lab roof :) so its now really taking shape :) I'm battling the lack of lab space - ATM I have test equipment spread all over the apartment - Renate complained last night that she could not use the Mirror in the Bedroom as a PLL signal analyser and Digital Scope where piled up in front of it... I told her she looks fine....

More excitingly I've got Jonas Hellborg (http://www.hellborg.com/) who has collaborated with John McLaughlin, Ustad Sultan Khan, Fazal Qureshi, Bill Laswell, Shawn Lane, Jens Johansson, Anders Johansson, Michael Shrieve, V. Selvaganesh, Mattias IA Eklundh and Buckethea and others to agree to let me record demonstration recordings directly from his 2 inch Master tapes with the MDAC2 ADC.

So the plan is to demonstrate DSD64, DSD128, PCM 44.1, 192 384 etc + 14Mhz "RAW digital mode" recordings directly from Studio Master tape, I also hope to record directly during live sessions - allowing MDAC2 owners to compare digital formats at home and settle these circular arguments we keep seeing here on PFM for themselves :)

The recordings will be made via the MDAC2 own on-board ADC - and maybe we can offer the actual MDAC2 used during the sessions for auction to support PFM or his chosen charity (I'd need to discuss this with TonyL first to see if this is OK and not too political for some reason - I've only met / spoken with Tony for a minute or 2 at a show a few years ago) :)

So the plan is to demonstrate DSD64, DSD128, PCM 44.1, 192 384 etc + 14Mhz "RAW digital mode" recordings directly from Studio Master tape, I also hope to record directly during live sessions

That would be very useful

I look forward to it

JohnW: When will we need to make our final choices on what various options we wish to have in our MDAC2s? I'm keen on the ADC and the DSP option, but at present I'm wavering over Toy versus Fusion. Or can this be decided just before you start the actual customer builds?

Enjoying my modded MDAC immensely, although work and family commitments mean that I haven't spent as much time listening as I'd have liked. Now that the weekend is nearly upon us, I hope to be able to really get to grips with what it is doing differently/better than the stock MDAC, although comparisons with my pre-Toy mods are worthless as it was before xmas last time I heard that version. Will post a mini review soon, though :)

JohnW: When will we need to make our final choices on what various options we wish to have in our MDAC2s? I'm keen on the ADC and the DSP option, but at present I'm wavering over Toy versus Fusion. Or can this be decided just before you start the actual customer builds?

Enjoying my modded MDAC immensely, although work and family commitments mean that I haven't spent as much time listening as I'd have liked. Now that the weekend is nearly upon us, I hope to be able to really get to grips with what it is doing differently/better than the stock MDAC, although comparisons with my pre-Toy mods are worthless as it was before xmas last time I heard that version. Will post a mini review soon, though :)

John,

As the Toy / Fusions components are hand mounted - they can be specified at the very last moment - even after the PCBs have been SMD'ed by the subcontractor - at this time I'm not even sure what the variation will be so don't worry ATM :)

Interested in your Feedback on the Toy unit you have :) - compared against the "Standard" MDAC is maybe even more relevant...

That would be very useful

I look forward to it

Me too - as the "reference" will be the Master tape - I'm also happy that "discerning" recording musicians are involved in the listening sessions.... they have spent a lifetime playing there own instrument - they have an intimate "contact" with instruments sound quality then anyone else - I really value there involvement in this project, the ADC has really expand the MDAC2's versatility and made this opportunity possible.

More excitingly I've got Jonas Hellborg (http://www.hellborg.com/) who has collaborated with John McLaughlin, Ustad Sultan Khan, Fazal Qureshi, Bill Laswell, Shawn Lane, Jens Johansson, Anders Johansson, Michael Shrieve, V. Selvaganesh, Mattias IA Eklundh and Buckethea and others to agree to let me record demonstration recordings directly from his 2 inch Master tapes with the MDAC2 ADC.

Woo, one of my heroes.

Since I've moved to Czech theres very little in the way of good live music - maybe Prague would be better, but I'm pretty much located in "no mans land".

I really miss the days of Hong Kong before the handover - where musicians from the hotel "house bands" (musicians mainly from Chicago, NY, & NO) would descend on there Sunday night "off" for a "free for all" Jam session at Carnegies in Wanchi - just watching musicians play with there peers was amazing... there was so much talent - sometimes during the week we would pop up to the hotel bars to have a laugh with them as they had to play in the House banb in the corner of the bar... But on Sunday night they could let loose in the Jam sessions.... Really really good, sadly after the handover they all left HK... Sadly at the time I didn't realise how lucky I was until it was over!

Paris's live music scene was OK, Rennes better in some respects - but after HK nothing was quite the same... maybe Chicago next.... :) shame the US is so dangerous compared to HK or Czech rep....

My local pub in Sheffield with a 100 'seat' venue at the back has featured in the last few months.

Nick Harper (son of Roy)
Steve Forbert.
Annabelle Chvostek (ex. Wailin Jenny's )

China Crisis (Walter Becker of Steely Dan was listed as a band member once) are coming.

:):):)

Cymbals and handclaps sound real, and the pub is leased by the Thornbridge brewery.

I cant see myself moving in the near future.....

My local pub in Sheffield with a 100 'seat' venue at the back has featured in the last few months.

Nick Harper (son of Roy)
Steve Forbert.
Annabelle Chvostek (ex. Wailin Jenny's )

China Crisis (Walter Becker of Steely Dan was listed as a band member once) are coming.

:):):)

Cymbals and handclaps sound real, and the pub is leased by the Thornbridge brewery.

I cant see myself moving in the near future.....

Now your just being Cruel :p

Did you get a chance to listen to Annabelle Chvostek?

John,

As the Toy / Fusions components are hand mounted - they can be specified at the very last moment - even after the PCBs have been SMD'ed by the subcontractor - at this time I'm not even sure what the variation will be so don't worry ATM :)

Interested in your Feedback on the Toy unit you have :) - compared against the "Standard" MDAC is maybe even more relevant...

Is there / will there be any details on the pros & cons of toy v fusion?

Is there / will there be any details on the pros & cons of toy v fusion?

"Cons" will be cost :p Once I'm able to listen I can post my findings :) But I'm sure it will be much the same results as with MDAC Toy / Fusion.

As there are "only" x4 resistors required for the Toy version it might offered as the standard versions - units with the -20dB analogue attenuator option require an extra x4 resistors (x8 in total).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back