advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am very much looking forward to reaquainting myself with the MDAC :)
I've been roughing it with a Musical Fidelity M6 DAC which (although pleasant enough to listen to) compresses the sound stage, especially vocals. Bass is warm but doesn't have the detail of the MDAC.

I recently connected my M-DAC via optical to my Panasonic 42EW6 television. Unfortunately, it seems that this device maybe triggers the left channel locking bug.

At first, everything works fine, but after some time (90 minutes or more), clicks and pops come out of the left speaker. The interval of the clicks is somewhere from 10 to 30 seconds.

I tried different jitter bandwidth seconds with no luck. Also I tried switching from the latest firmware to the official 0.99 firmware. The artifacts emerge with both firmwares after some time.

Might there be a solution or is the M-DAC incompatible to the television?

Andy (Sprint) – I hope you don’t mind me answering the questions from your PM here on the forum as I believe they will also help clarify the latest situation for others.

I currently have a MDAC and have been following with interest since you announced the development of the MDAC2, but to date I have not committed myself as I have not been really sure as to what the final product is going to be together with the overall cost.

It looks like you are now coming to a conclusion as to what the final product is going to be, unless there are more ideas in the wings?

Yes – the complete overview of MDAC2 design has now been fully expanded – there might be an additional Clock option I’m investigating – but apart from this possible Clock option I don’t see any further additions to the design.

It is also fairly difficult to identify what all the various options are and what benefits they may bring as there is no centralized documentation which outlines the current status and options.

It would therefore, be appreciated if you could kindly answer the following details which will hopefully clarify everything for me so that I can decide if I would like to join the list.

1. The MDAC2 will be a DIY replacement of the main pcb (now two pcb’s?) in the existing MDAC? Is that still the case and does it include a new/replacement rear panel? If a new rear panel is provided will that be a modified existing MDAC panel or just a plain non-silk screened panel?

Yes the MDAC2 will be based on 2 new PCB’s, the first the Analogue PCB, and mounted above the Digital PCB. A new rear panel with silk screen will be supplied with the “upgrade kit” – that’s why when we add you to the list upon receipt of payment you will receive an Email in return confirming payment & asking for the colour of your MDAC donor unit allowing us to provide the correct colour rear panel with the upgrade kit once is available.

The cost of the replacement pcb is currently around £400 to £500 of which the first two instalments, each of £100, would be due immediately if I join the list?

The cost of the Basic MDAC2 is split into development and material costs:-

3x £100 payment financing the development and then the last payment of “around” £200 +P&P to cover the actual PCB build cost etc. – the exact amount depends on the final build cost.

We are currently at the second stage of the project development – so the first two installments of £100 are due at this time – with the 3rd installment once I've issued the Analogue section prototype PCB files within the next Month.

3. I understand that there is now three variants of the main pcb,

a. Basic unit

b. Basic unit + DSP + Bluetooth + Analogue attenuator @ an additional £100 plus material costs

c. Basic unit + DSP + Bluetooth + Analogue attenuator + Hi Performance ADC @ an additional £200 plus material costs

Yes, there are 3 main variants (which can be ordered with a yet to be finalized package of Vishay Bulk foil resistors):-

A. The basic unit, as per the original MDAC2 project proposal – owners of Toy / Fusion upgraded units qualify for this version “At Cost”.

B. Basic unit + DSP, Bluetooth & Analogue -20dB attenuator, at an additional £100 development installment over the Basic unit + the additional material cost.

C. Basic unit + DSP, Bluetooth & Analogue -20dB attenuator + ADC with DSD support and 14MHz equivalent sampling rate for “Analogue input” mode at an additional £200 development installment over the Basic unit + the additional material cost.

4. I understand that there is also a recommended replacement internal analogue/digital power supply pcb at an extra cost of £100? What are the benefits of fitting this replacement PS pcb and would any benefits be effectively lost if an high performance external PS is developed or used?

The Digital and Analogue stages will be separated & Galvanically isolated to reduce the second order effects of digital processing and circulating Digital Ground noise etc.

With the current design of the MDAC PSU PCB, the separated Analogue and Digital sections will be connected at the PSU (and hence the Grounds will be connected at the PSU) – the idea is that at a later date we can also offer a new PSU PCB that will completely separate the Digital and Analogue PSU sections.

The final decision will be based upon sonic evaluation – we don’t have pricing, but it will cost no more then £100.

5. Is the current 30W PS considered to be adequate?

We have no plans to require a new external adaptor – calculations suggest we “Should be” ok with the current 30W adaptor.

6. I understand that there are a couple of further options in the form of the Toy or Fusion Bulk Foil resistors?

Can you please advise what these options are and what are the likely benefits that either brings to the MDAC2? The Fusion option at £350 is clearly a very expensive add on so what does it bring for the money and why is it so expensive?

The cost of the current Fusion upgrade is the additional cost of the Fusion resistors – we make no extra money on the Fusion resistor upgrades – in fact the resistors are ordered as a kit from a 3rd party and I just install them as part of the upgrade.

The extra expense is purely the cost of the Vishay Bulk foil resistors.

With the current MDAC, the Fusion resistor upgrade option brings increased resolution & wider soundstage with a more natural “Analogue” sound.

I’m expecting the much the same improvement with the MDAC2 + Vishay Bulk foils – the good news is that fewer resistors are required for the MDAC2, so this will be a cheaper option.

I think that covers all the various options and permeations as I understand it or are there others that I should be aware of?

Possibly a Clock option – but this can be fitted to all versions at anytime in the future by the owner.

If I want to join the list how do I do that and what payment would be due immediately?

If you do decide to join the project, then the first two development installments would be due at this time :)

I recently connected my M-DAC via optical to my Panasonic 42EW6 television. Unfortunately, it seems that this device maybe triggers the left channel locking bug.

At first, everything works fine, but after some time (90 minutes or more), clicks and pops come out of the left speaker. The interval of the clicks is somewhere from 10 to 30 seconds.

I tried different jitter bandwidth seconds with no luck. Also I tried switching from the latest firmware to the official 0.99 firmware. The artifacts emerge with both firmwares after some time.

Might there be a solution or is the M-DAC incompatible to the television?

Steve, Sorry to hear about your problem,

Have you tried A08 or A10 with the Highest Jitter bandwidth setting?

If this does not resolve the problem, then sadly there's little else we can do - the design of the MDAC2 will resolve this issue.

Hi John, so buying a Lakewest MDAC2 won't require somebody to send you an MDAC to begin with, is this right?

Jack

Yes, correct - the upgrade PCB can be installed by the owner - JTC might comment as he has experience of installing a replacement board in his current MDAC unit.

We will post a YouTube video with step by step instructions... :)

Yes, correct - the upgrade PCB can be installed by the owner - JTC might comment as he has experience of installing a replacement board in his current MDAC unit.

We will post a YouTube video with step by step instructions... :)

That would be handy.

Jack

If this does not resolve the problem, then sadly there's little else we can do - the design of the MDAC2 will resolve this issue.

Yes, the jitter bandwidth setting seemed to have no effect on the issue. Oddly, switching the input channel to an unassigned input and back removed the artifacts for another 90 minutes or so.

Yes – the complete overview of MDAC2 design has now been fully expanded – there might be an additional Clock option I’m investigating – but apart from this possible Clock option I don’t see any further additions to the design.

External or internal?

Internal... I'm still in the process of optimising the Clock design - so its not certain IF there will be a Clock option....

Yes, the jitter bandwidth setting seemed to have no effect on the issue. Oddly, switching the input channel to an unassigned input and back removed the artifacts for another 90 minutes or so.

Steve,

Cycling inputs forces the ESS to reset its SPDIF circuit.... so it follows that it will clear the lock issue at least for awhile.

John,
Are the differences between toy and fusion just the number of resistors used and where their installed and not different types/material ?

That would be handy.

Jack

Jack, it's quite easy. The tricky bit is the ribbon cable, I find that re-seating it is fiddly. Otherwise, it's a matter of:

1) Loosening 10 torx screws - 4 per side and two to the side of the power input connector on the back plate;
2) Carefully sliding the board out by pulling firmly but gently from the back;
3) As the board is located in two guides, it will slide out. You'll see that the PSU board is separate - you won't need to remove that. Slide the main board out until you can get to, and detach, the ribbon cable and the thicker power cable (they both locate at the right hand side, just behind a bank of heatsinks). Note that the ribbon cable routes to the right of those heatsinks, and you'll know you have the orientation correct when the writing side of the cable faces the rear of the unit as it goes around the heatsinks.
4) Once the cables are detached, slide board all the way and remove.

To fit, reverse the process, making sure that the board is located in the groove guides. Slide gently in until you can reach the ribbon connector with the ribbon end. Re-attach both cables, power cable first (it's easy) and, the ribbon cable, making sure that you have it routed properly. Work it back into its slot (matron!), then carefully continue sliding the board back into place. Re-do the torx screws, and you're (almost) done.

Though, if you are connecting a different board that might have a different firmware, you will need to ensure that both the front panel and firmware are set to the same version - if not, it will work but certain things will have a tendency to crash the MDAC as I discovered (with front panel at A10 and board at 0.90).

Hope this helps; I took some pics of the boards (both stock and ToyL2+) which I may post if anyone wants a look. Didn't do a video though, but in all honestly it's not difficult.

Have you tried the software versions mentioned?

John,
Are the differences between toy and fusion just the number of resistors used and where their installed and not different types/material ?

Yes - just the number of Bulk Foil resistors required, the Current "Toy" upgrade uses x4, while the Fusion upgrade uses x28.

Andy (Sprint) – I hope you don’t mind me answering the questions from your PM here on the forum as I believe they will also help clarify the latest situation for others.

Yes the MDAC2 will be based on 2 new PCB’s, the first the Analogue PCB, and mounted above the Digital PCB. A new rear panel with silk screen will be supplied with the “upgrade kit” – that’s why when we add you to the list upon receipt of payment you will receive an Email in return confirming payment & asking for the colour of your MDAC donor unit allowing us to provide the correct colour rear panel with the upgrade kit once is available.

The cost of the Basic MDAC2 is split into development and material costs:-

3x £100 payment financing the development and then the last payment of “around” £200 +P&P to cover the actual PCB build cost etc. – the exact amount depends on the final build cost.

We are currently at the second stage of the project development – so the first two installments of £100 are due at this time – with the 3rd installment once I've issued the Analogue section prototype PCB files within the next Month.

Yes, there are 3 main variants (which can be ordered with a yet to be finalized package of Vishay Bulk foil resistors):-

A. The basic unit, as per the original MDAC2 project proposal – owners of Toy / Fusion upgraded units qualify for this version “At Cost”.

B. Basic unit + DSP, Bluetooth & Analogue -20dB attenuator, at an additional £100 development installment over the Basic unit + the additional material cost.

C. Basic unit + DSP, Bluetooth & Analogue -20dB attenuator + ADC with DSD support and 14MHz equivalent sampling rate for “Analogue input” mode at an additional £200 development installment over the Basic unit + the additional material cost.

The Digital and Analogue stages will be separated & Galvanically isolated to reduce the second order effects of digital processing and circulating Digital Ground noise etc.

With the current design of the MDAC PSU PCB, the separated Analogue and Digital sections will be connected at the PSU (and hence the Grounds will be connected at the PSU) – the idea is that at a later date we can also offer a new PSU PCB that will completely separate the Digital and Analogue PSU sections.

The final decision will be based upon sonic evaluation – we don’t have pricing, but it will cost no more then £100.

We have no plans to require a new external adaptor – calculations suggest we “Should be” ok with the current 30W adaptor.

The cost of the current Fusion upgrade is the additional cost of the Fusion resistors – we make no extra money on the Fusion resistor upgrades – in fact the resistors are ordered as a kit from a 3rd party and I just install them as part of the upgrade.

The extra expense is purely the cost of the Vishay Bulk foil resistors.

With the current MDAC, the Fusion resistor upgrade option brings increased resolution & wider soundstage with a more natural “Analogue” sound.

I’m expecting the much the same improvement with the MDAC2 + Vishay Bulk foils – the good news is that fewer resistors are required for the MDAC2, so this will be a cheaper option.

Possibly a Clock option – but this can be fitted to all versions at anytime in the future by the owner.

If you do decide to join the project, then the first two development installments would be due at this time :)

Thanks for the replies John. No problem posting it on the forum which will hopefully help others as well.

I have added my name to the list. Do I now make the first installment and await an e-mail conformation and then make the 2nd installment. When/where do I confirm that I require a Black rear panel?

Andy,

We work from our own internal list but I added you to the MDAC2 Wiki:-

http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page#Pledges_to_support_with_monthly_installments

Here is the link for our crude MDAC2 page - if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can select "Combined 1st & 2nd installments" in the payment options - you will then be directed to the PayPal website.

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Thank you for your support of the MDAC2 project :)

Hi John

Payment has been made. Perhaps you could confirm at some stage that I am now fully on the list (internal?) and that you have received the payment.

Its a good question, we have opened tooling with extrusion vendors in China for the chassis - the Amplifier has a relativity simple box construction without buttons and display windows which reduces the complexity and eases QC issues - buttons (and there operational feel) are always trouble.

If there are no buttons how will it switch on and off? Will it have a stand-by mode and automatically sense a signal?

- Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back