advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think is a very good idea indeed and there could be a lot of mileage in it. I have three PIs now and experimented in some of the hi fi solutions, getting a good clock-locked interface with MDAC/2 would be amazing. But, isn't just ASYNC USB good enough? That's zero hardware development, we just need to get one of the PI hi fi distros working with the MDAC/2.
I s'pose maybe. I'm not sure what the issue is with getting the pi usb out to work with the M-dac? I've never looked into this before.

Originally posted by John W:

What about using the Async USB connection with your SBT with the "triode" patch?

But no problem to clocklock the MDAC to any source - I know someone has a modified TEAC CD transport clock locked to the MDAC
Today 10:02 AM
Partly I'm thinking that this is a solution for people who don;t have a touch, or (like me) want more devices and want to be free of the day the touch goes pop
PLus if you wanted say DSD 128, I think you need more than PCM 24 x 192 don't you? I'm not sure a Touch will allow this even on EDO, but I may be behind the times

I'm not sure as between an I2S connection and USB generally, but I always thought that the usb 5v connection was a bit of a turnoff. Perhaps the galvanic isolation is Ok, but why worry about it? [am I right in thinking this was to be stpped up in the M-Dac2?]
Wasn't the M-trans idea going to be 2 x toslink.

It seems to me that the Pi plus some music playing software stands the chance of becoming the so-far-elusive universal streaming device for dacs. Out of the box though it doesn't have a S/PDIF out.

At the moment I am running my touch via toslink to the M-dac. I have not yet tried the usb connection using EDO. Is this ok or does one need a hub?

I s'pose maybe. I'm not sure what the issue is with getting the pi usb out to work with the M-dac? I've never looked into this before.

Partly I'm thinking that this is a solution for people who don;t have a touch, or (like me) want more devices and want to be free of the day the touch goes pop
PLus if you wanted say DSD 128, I think you need more than PCM 24 x 192 don't you? I'm not sure a Touch will allow this even on EDO, but I may be behind the times

I'm not sure as between an I2S connection and USB generally, but I always thought that the usb 5v connection was a bit of a turnoff. Perhaps the galvanic isolation is Ok, but why worry about it? [am I right in thinking this was to be stpped up in the M-Dac2?]
Wasn't the M-trans idea going to be 2 x toslink.

It seems to me that the Pi plus some music playing software stands the chance of becoming the so-far-elusive universal streaming device for dacs. Out of the box though it doesn't have a S/PDIF out.

At the moment I am running my touch via toslink to the M-dac. I have not yet tried the usb connection using EDO. Is this ok or does one need a hub?

Optical obviously gives the best isolation - which is useful when complex digital devices are connected to the MDAC (with the potential of a high level RF noise injection).

The Dual optical link was indeed intended for the MTRN :)

Fab! Really excited! Two initial payments on there way via PayPal & will gratefully accept your willingness to delay the next payment.
Cheers John.

Thank you :)

Renata will Email you with confirmation when she returns :)

I don't think it's a case of simply linking to the i2s on the pi. I think there's a difference between i2s and spdif/word clock protocols and so some additional interfacing would be required.

I've got a feeling (not checking up to justify it at the moment) that the pi doesn't do async usb

The pi isn't a direct touch replacement :-( it doesn't have a screen

I'm using a joggler with squeeze play os at the moment

I don't think it's a case of simply linking to the i2s on the pi. I think there's a difference between i2s and spdif/word clock protocols and so some additional interfacing would be required.
I did wonder about that, maybe John or dominic can confirm whether the M-dac can take an I2s input
The pi isn't a direct touch replacement :-( it doesn't have a screen

I'm using a joggler with squeeze play os at the moment
I guess it depends whether one needs a touch screen. I would have thought that most folks use a smartphone or tablet to control these days, but it can be handy to have a way of inputting directly

Optimal transient XD
I'm going to have to try to keep an open mind on that. I suppose the good thing about it is that it applies a nice downward sloping response a bit like the B&K house curve from 5 Khz to 20 Khz.

I'm rather hoping that with the M-dac 2 you will be implementing at least as an option I nice orthodox linear phase windowed sinc filter (sort of souped up Optimum Spectrum) for people like me who can't help themselves.

I guess it depends whether one needs a touch screen. I would have thought that most folks use a smartphone or tablet to control these days, but it can be handy to have a way of inputting directly

Personally I really like both the "now playing" aspect of a display, and not having to explain which of the 97 remote controls to use

Personally I really like both the "now playing" aspect of a display, and not having to explain which of the 97 remote controls to use
Oh yes, I prefer kids to use the touch that way. And when I'm simply wanting to turn off the music, it can be easier to press the button on the screen rather than fish out my iphone, open ipeng, navigate to the right page and press the button.

This is particularly true of the alarm clock function in my bedroom.

I'm going to have to try to keep an open mind on that. I suppose the good thing about it is that it applies a nice downward sloping response a bit like the B&K house curve from 5 Khz to 20 Khz.

I'm rather hoping that with the M-dac 2 you will be implementing at least as an option I nice orthodox linear phase windowed sinc filter (sort of souped up Optimum Spectrum) for people like me who can't help themselves.

So does Optimal Transient XD similarly roll off the treble? If yes does anyone have a graph/some more detail pls?

This makes sense to me. the whole wake up phone, switch to app to then complete the operation I want got old quite quickly.

I find I use the MDAC remote as much, if not more than anything else.

Maybe I need to repurpose my old iPad as a permanent display or something.

So does Optimal Transient XD similarly roll off the treble? If yes does anyone have a graph/some more detail pls?

I should admit that I was being a bit flippant and that the roll off is not the same as that house curve (the house "curve" is more like a straight line whereas the OT really is a curve). The OT might well be quite similar to a NOS dac.

All OT filters have the same response

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.p...iews/642-audiolab-q-dac-filters-.html?start=1

[As I understand it the M-dac and Q-dac filters are the same.]

See also Paul Miller's measurement of the M-dac.
http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2012/reports/yb12/audiolab_mdac.html

Thanks Adam.

Interesting that HiFi world prefer the same filter as John. Not sure my hi freq hearing is up to the same level of discrimination as Noel K

Paul Miller link requires a login. Are the results different from HiFi World?

Thanks Adam.

Interesting that HiFi world prefer the same filter as John. Not sure my hi freq hearing is up to the same level of discrimination as Noel K

Paul Miller link requires a login. Are the results different from HiFi World?

Ah yes- my computer must have stored the login because it just goes straight through on the link.
No the FR is about the same, but it shows the lack of stop band attenuation. Pretty nos like.

No sound quality comments on that link just measurements but some on the original review. Pm commented that he thought OT should be used for 16/44 (for technical not subjective reasons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back