advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support of new codecs, bugfixes, ...

Zero updates required for my SBT since I installed it two years ago. FLAC was released in 2001, MP3 and Ogg-Vorbis are older than that, and WAV is from the dawn of time.

I think you underestimate the maturity of this technology :)

Yes, the only update I've done since I've had the N-50 was to get gapless playing. I can't see what advantages further updates might bring. Though there may well be a bug I haven't yet found.

- Richard.

Off Topic Warning! (PiCorePlayer into MDAC)
As we tend to wander off the point quite a lot on this thread, I don't feel too guilty asking about connecting the Raspberry Pi based PiCorePlayer to the MDAC. I've put more in the right place (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131922) - but has anyone got this working? So far I have manic "flushing buffer (3)" and some nasty crackly noises!

As we tend to wander off the point quite a lot on this thread, I don't feel too guilty asking about connecting the Raspberry Pi based PiCorePlayer to the MDAC. I've put more in the right place (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131922) - but has anyone got this working? So far I have manic "flushing buffer (3)" and some nasty crackly noises!

I don't have any experience with Pi but I have a Wandboard with CSOS connected to the M-DAC. Works perfect!

Collecting something from Coventry wouldn't be much of a problem for me, could be as little as 10 minute drive depending where abouts.

Nick,

Thank you for the kind offer :)

The best price the seller has found so far for shipping to me in Czech Rep is like GBP95 pounds or so... If its OK I'll pay for the unit sans shipping - if you can could collect the unit for me at some stage. You can use the amplifier (if its any good to you), I only bought it as it went cheap on Ebay (GBP164) I have no real need of it... maybe once I've worked on Phils unit I'll arrange collection from you... (or collect in person when I'm next in the UK).

They are decent amplifiers certainly for GBP164!!! Basically a Quad 606/707/909 150W current dumping design :) but with larger PSU and heatsinks!

Nick,

Thank you for the kind offer :)

The best price the seller has found so far for shipping to me in Czech Rep is like GBP95 pounds or so... If its OK I'll pay for the unit sans shipping - if you can could collect the unit for me at some stage. You can use the amplifier (if its any good to you), I only bought it as it went cheap on Ebay (GBP164) I have no real need of it... maybe once I've worked on Phils unit I'll arrange collection from you... (or collect in person when I'm next in the UK).

They are decent amplifiers certainly for GBP164!!! Basically a Quad 606/707/909 150W current dumping design :) but with larger PSU and heatsinks!

That seems a bit steep whats the dimensions and weight , I,m looking at £25 to £50 plus vat from various couriers on parcel2go. Packaging tonight to get final weight and size.

Yes - I don't mind paying the shipping, however I hate the feeling to pay well over half the cost of the unit for shipping to Czech Rep. I only bid on the unit as it was cheap and in very good physical condition - As I'll most likely design new PCB's for your unit, it would be great to have a unit for myself sometime! :)

If Nick can get some use out of the unit before I can arrange shipping or collection from him then it be good :) at least Nick can have a play with it - maybe you can compare it against your modified unit (for an independent opinion) :)

John, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Feel free to drop me a PM with all the details.

I Wouldn't mind giving it a whirl, though I should be taking delivery of a Musical Fidelity M6i this week so I will be having a play with that.

I can get some shipping quotes too, £95 seems crazy high.

Not a stock quad model then? Funny you should say about comparing the amps as the original conversation with Nick was about comparing the stock MDAC versus my fusion MDAC. Just never managed to sort out any spare time , young family and weekends are impossible.
Haven't pushed the quads there seems to be plenty on tap with the input sensitivity set half way. Not all about the power, but when I bi amped my B&W 's with a previous amp , it really sweetened up the treble. Looking forward to it all :)

Searching the 'web it looks like the Raspberry Pi and the MDAC just don't get on with each other. No one seems to have found a solution, but somone has got the 8200DQ to work... I'll keep battling on, though long term, I probably won't use the Pi in my main system anyway... just want to prove it will work.

Searching the 'web it looks like the Raspberry Pi and the MDAC just don't get on with each other. No one seems to have found a solution, but somone has got the 8200DQ to work... I'll keep battling on, though long term, I probably won't use the Pi in my main system anyway... just want to prove it will work.
Let's take it to the DIY thread (or a separate thread in the audio forum), I'll help however I can. I don't have a RPi, but I know quite a few linux-related reasons for the buffer flushing message.

Sorry if I am coming into this a bit late.

From what I have read on the Lakewest web site, this is a project that is in progress. You are purchasing an upgrade for existing MDAC(1) unit, but there is an option for EU residents to possibly purchase a DOA unit and have it upgraded.

I live in Canada, and it seems that trying to purchase any MDAC is a quest of futility as places that once sold it no longer do, and dealing with the local importer is more painful that hitting your head against a wall.

I would really like to get a VERY GOOD DAC. From what I have read here, John is the person to go to for what will be one if not the best.

I don't need it right now, and am perfectly willing to wait for the development to take it's time. After this upgrade is released, what are the plans for MDAC2? Are you planning to sell a finished box version yourself, or is it going to be resold through Audiolab as it's right now a retrofit for the MDAC they sell? As I am located in North America, what are the options that I have to get the new MDAC2?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I might as well ask now and see what my real options are.

Thanks.

Let's take it to the DIY thread (or a separate thread in the audio forum), I'll help however I can. I don't have a RPi, but I know quite a few linux-related reasons for the buffer flushing message.

Great, thanks.... there is a thread in DIY, which is the palce for this query, it's just that no-one in that thread has an MDAC that I know of (which is unusual around here!)

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131922

I don't need it right now, and am perfectly willing to wait for the development to take it's time. After this upgrade is released, what are the plans for MDAC2? Are you planning to sell a finished box version yourself, or is it going to be resold through Audiolab as it's right now a retrofit for the MDAC they sell? As I am located in North America, what are the options that I have to get the new MDAC2?
While you don't get an "official answer", let' s see if I can help.
:)
Try to get an used MDAC on ebay.
Then go for the installments, pre-payments, for the current developping stages, when they're over you will have a new board (and the backside of the DAC) :) ...with detailed instructions on how to replace it. Sending the board overseas might bring a problem with customs, I don't know.

There's another alternative, you try to go for a salvaged unit here in Europe, JohnW can try to get one for you, and when your turn comes up for the upgrade, you can plan a holiday trip to Europe, John will even book a hotel for you if needed (check some pages back on this thread).
With John, we get a full 5 star support service.
:)

AFAIK , there are still no plans at the moment for a new case for this MDAC2 project. It will use the rest of the case, PSU and hardware.
I guess this is an exclusive Lakewest project, there are no other parties involved.

Michael

Hi! I've owned the MDAC for over a year and been using successfully the coax an optical inputs.

However, yesterday I tried using the USB input but couldn't get it working. The problem is that when I select USB input from the MDAC my computer crashes and reboots automatically, then crashes again before I even log in. The computer gets stuck in this loop until i turn off the MDAC or select another input .

The first time I connected the MDAC to my computer via USB it installed the drivers and everything seemed fine. I followed the instructions in the MDAC manual and changed all the settings as adviced.

I'm running windows 7.

Any help or solutions would be much appreciated.

Hi John and Dominick,
I was wondering if you can tell me whether the MDAC's master clock signal can be configured to output 16,9344MHz.?
I have ordered a Shiga MkII cd transport with the group buy on diyaudio nad I just discovered that it can be slaved to a dac's master clock provided this outputs 16,9344MHz, it would be great to be able to clock lock it to my MDAC!

Hi! I've owned the MDAC for over a year and been using successfully the coax an optical inputs.

However, yesterday I tried using the USB input but couldn't get it working. The problem is that when I select USB input from the MDAC my computer crashes and reboots automatically, then crashes again before I even log in. The computer gets stuck in this loop until i turn off the MDAC or select another input .

The first time I connected the MDAC to my computer via USB it installed the drivers and everything seemed fine. I followed the instructions in the MDAC manual and changed all the settings as adviced.

I'm running windows 7.

Any help or solutions would be much appreciated.

MatiasN,

It sounds like your Windows machine has a corrupted Driver USB or HID - have you installed any Audio Drivers for XMOS Based USB DAC's? - we have seen the XMOS drivers taking over the Windows audio system and almost impossible to remove.

What version of software is installed on your MDAC, if its one of the "ODD" intermediate releases then there might be a bug we are unaware of - however I don't believe that the "Slave" DAC should result in Windows7 crashing -there must be some issue on the Windows machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back