advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that I'm the one who may have jumped the queue. So if there isn't a salvaged unit for you, you are welcome to my unit.
Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the offer, but as there is still plenty of time before we actually 'need' a unit, I can wait.
I was just wondering about procedure and availability of salvaged units.

Cheers,
Johan

availability of salvaged units depends on supplies from Audiolab and there is no guarantee that there will be enough salvaged units for all who wants one.
Leon

Makes sense to me.

How many people want salvaged units ?
How many salvaged units can Audiolab supply ?

Who knows the answer to the above two questions ? No one.

I managed to pick up a fully working second hand M-dac for the price of a salvaged unit.. Keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to negotiate..

Means my DC Soverign+ MDac wont need to be sacrificed

I managed to pick up a fully working second hand M-dac for the price of a salvaged unit.. Keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to negotiate..

Means my DC Soverign+ MDac wont need to be sacrificed

I've got myself two second hand units. They cost me litte more than the salvaged units.

Another question from a newbie funder of the MDAC2 project.

About the passive AV bypass, what exactly does it do and does it come standard with the base MDAC2? And are there plans to do things like the Toy or Fusion models?

Well done MDAC! :)
Mine is still original and I agree it's a great sounding machine!
:)

I just don't understand this comment:

"As digital music has surged in popularity, the role of the DAC has once again become important, helping you to get the best from your digital source, whether that be a laptop, computer or hi-fi separate."

Did DACs lost any importance or popularity in any period of time since they came around?
I'm using DACs since the nineties (in fact before the nineties with this amplifier:
http://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/amp/su-v90d-e.html )
...and I'm seing their popularity increase over the time since then.
First on a very slow pace and in the last decade much, much faster with iTunes and digital audio being the first source for music (and of course, with the changes in the market with the new generations of music buyers).

Michael

Another question from a newbie funder of the MDAC2 project.

About the passive AV bypass, what exactly does it do and does it come standard with the base MDAC2? And are there plans to do things like the Toy or Fusion models?

First - thank you for joining the project :)

In systems without a Pre-amplifier, the MDAC2 will be connected directly to the Power-amplifiers. The AV bypass allows you to connect an AV system (or any analogue source) - when the MDAC2 is powered-off, or selected via the front panel the AV single is routed to the Power-amplifiers.

AV bypass is fitted as standard on MDAC2.

So, plenty of salvaged units available?
Just pay for one and you're in?

Sorry to be confused.

Johan
That's the idea, I believe.

If the opportunity ceases, you get your money back - John is a nice guy and even if he wasn't - it's paypal (which gladly spits on sellers and refunds buyers).

I wonder whether the USB connection on that carries audio or is intended only to stream from a connected hard disk.....?? If it allows USB audio, and can work well, it could be an interesting alternative to the discontinued SBT.... though the lack of album artwork is a shame - it'd be great if it had a bigger display that could show the artwork....

I doubt the USB can be used to carry audio, it is marked as an input so it's probably for PC and HDD connection

Besides the similar look to the M-DAC, I'm not sure what the M-NET brings compared to, say, a SBT. It seems it is lacking most of the features which we'd want (USB async output, open system/customisation/apps, user interface -colours, album art, etc.-).

I also noticed no mention of things such as gapless playback or HD support

So, plenty of salvaged units available?
Just pay for one and you're in?

Sorry to be confused.

Johan

Johan,

You can place an order for your salvaged unit - once you have placed your order it will take a week or two to confirm we have secured it.

I just saw a price of $869,99 (Australia) for the M-NET. That are about 600€. For those who look for a low budget solution (far below 100€): I use a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC. The media player in OpenELEC is XBMC which offers much more features than the M-NET, e.g. video streaming. The television is used as display und the TV-remote as remote control (OpenELEC supports HDMI-CEC). An Android tablet with YATSE serves as an alternative remote control.
Just my 2ct.

Fridi

PS.: Who added the link in "Android tablet" ??? I do not want my postings to be altered!!! I do not use a Kindle! I am horrified!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back