advertisement

Main power cables

A few years back I spent days and days messing about with mains cables, trying different ones, making up incredibly complicated and bulky things with weird braiding and isolation, thinking I could hear a difference. The fact that I completely lost interest may indicate that I was not really hearing any difference at all. I cannot scientifically assert that there is no difference, but if there is, it is so very, very small that it makes no difference to how you enjoy music.

Shana' Tova'

Shana tova and gmar hatima tova Paul.

Arye

I recently had a big success with Shunyata cables, and had a home trial first. Very much depends on your equipment.
This started my interest
https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/shunyata-research-delta-nr-and-ef-power-cords/

Shana tova - my cousin and her friends from the Tel Aviv swimming club on a recent invasion of France by sea
48834390063_4f989c22b1.jpg

It seems to me that you are here in the pfm are not encouraging me to go for mains...

Arye
To be accurate, Ayre, the usual suspects are telling you not to go for mains. This thread could easily write itself.

I've perceived significant and meaningful benefits from better mains block and mains leads (do the block first, and choose one which pays attention to earthing). See for yourself. Whatsnext has seen for himself, and gets nothing from it. I have, and I get plenty of benefit. Both of us are probably right, in our own context, so only you can really answer this question for yourself.

To be accurate, Ayre, the usual suspects are telling you not to go for mains. This thread could easily write itself.

I've perceived significant and meaningful benefits from better mains block and mains leads (do the block first, and choose one which pays attention to earthing). See for yourself. Whatsnext has seen for himself, and gets nothing from it. I have, and I get plenty of benefit. Both of us are probably right, in our own context, so only you can really answer this question for yourself.

I did most of my cable tweaking 15 years ago and came to the conclusion then that the power cabling and distribution were the key elements. I've heard nothing since to change my mind.

It's perhaps better to use a cable of reasonable length, 2m is probably ideal.

If you proceed, I'd recommend rewiring the system with a set of identical power cables, then live with them for at least a week. At which point, revert to your original cables and see if you miss the fancy ones.

Quick A/Bs on single items of equipment will typically tell you nothing meaningful IMO.

Good luck with your experiments.

I'd be happy if there were a cable that could stop the mild 'pop' everytime the bathroom light is switched on :D But thats just the poor/old wiring of the house.

I'd be happy if there were a cable that could stop the mild 'pop' everytime the bathroom light is switched on :D But thats just the poor/old wiring of the house.
Is the light switch also wired to an extractor fan? If so you may be getting RFI. In my case I get a loud bang through the MC phono stage when the cloakroom light is switched off as the extractor is just the other side of the wall oh and the fan is switched off!

Must fit a suppressor one day.

Cheers,

DV

Your sockets must be on the same circuit as your bathroom lighting, not uncommon in old houses. I lived in an old farmhouse cottage with similar wiring, one socket in each room, 4 wire fuses in the box, one circuit for lights, one for sockets, one for the oven and one for the immersion heater. I took a set of tails from the mains feed, into a small distribution box, fitted with a modern circuit breaker, and then run a new mains ring and seperate Earth for the system. I used MK unswitched sockets.
On the subject of mains cables I prefer to make my own so I can terminate them at just the right length, I can use a nice soft, flexible cable that's easy to position, and I also can choose on outer sheath & heat shrink to my liking. Just really to make everything neat and tidy.

Isn`t that a Ferengi thing?

I'm not sure what that is? Google returned Star Trek people. Anyway, I guess there's no way around it. If you created a forum with a "What's the best shit to buy?" sub forum next to a strictly gear review sub forum there's not enough differentiation to keep the two separate. Which I suppose is why you have a general music forum.

Musical instrument forums are actually worse. They usually run about 80% gear, 20% playing the instrument. I assume because it's a helluva lot easier to chase and catch gear than skill.

Try Grahams hydra for naim.Nice upgrade and all the cables that you need.You will have star earth network for all naims in your house and sound improvement is not about cable quality,but star earth which is naims inernaly design too ...Power suplys in naims are good and you will hear small or no diferecies in power cables.

They get to figure it out!

PS Really, I am totally bored of this stuff, it is just the same endless loop, plus puts any cable manufacturers etc, who are clearly a part of this hobby, off from advertising on this website. I’d far prefer non believers to just have the maturity to leave the threads alone and allow folk to make up their own minds. It just gets so tedious so quickly!

Was this the 19 page thread I was reading about 10 minutes ago??

I do hope this site is not going down the road of “let’s not offend the advertisers” which Tony’s post above would seem to imply.......

Last edited:

advertisement

Back