advertisement

Main power cables

The power line is v e r y e x p e n s i v e.

Arye

Sure, try them, for free, if you hear a difference, you know if it is worth looking further, if you don't, no problem, job done, case closed. The only issue I can see here is https://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/january16/wine-011608.html be aware that our experience is altered by how much we spend ... so get a mate to mess with your head and swap the cables when you can't see and find out if you really can hear a difference ;)

@Purité Audio @chartz Ah 'cmon, Naim always believed in directional cables, and various other slightly dubious stuff, that I always took as slightly odd but no harm done. They said CD was junk, nobody ever expected them to make a CDP, they did, we all survived. They said cables just needed to be low resitance / capacitance as appropriate, nobody ever expected them to make expensive cables, they did, we all survived. Being shocked more than a decade late is a bit, um, late?

A friend of mine owns a hat company, he has them all made and branded in a factory in China.
He tried selling them for £10 inc delivery direct from the manufactures on his website. People generally were disinterested and didn’t take up the offer ...... the few that did left unfavourable reviews.

He then had the exact same hats sent to him direct and now sells them from the UK after putting them in nicer/UK focused looking packaging but sells them for £25-30. Same hat, same product but at an over 100% inflated price and he’s getting rave reviews, even from the same customers...

Going back to Russ Andrews, he not only makes outrageous claims about cables.
Check his Website and read about his modifications to Spendor BC1s.

I remember buying and receiving a upgrade mains cable others had raved about. It was my first explore of mains believers words.

Took it out the packaging said ‘ok I’ve been told you can make a difference, show me what you can do’ put it in place.

Sod all. Others saying it changes their hearing. I can see my substation from my front door.

I think wanting something is half way to getting it. I didnt want it to make a difference, just find out if it could

@Purité Audio @chartz Ah 'cmon, Naim always believed in directional cables, and various other slightly dubious stuff, that I always took as slightly odd but no harm done. They said CD was junk, nobody ever expected them to make a CDP, they did, we all survived. They said cables just needed to be low resitance / capacitance as appropriate, nobody ever expected them to make expensive cables, they did, we all survived. Being shocked more than a decade late is a bit, um, late?

No, I was always shocked. I never did like Naim stuff anyway, since the first Nait which sounded nothing special at all.
The only positive thing was the DIN sockets, proper audio connections.

First tried mains cables with a similar system
Linn LP12
Naim 32.5
HiCap
Naim 135s
(no CD player then !)

Knew mains cables were very unlikely to work and prepared to sell them back on Ebay
Staggered when I heard an improvement
Over some years and kit upgrades I worked my way through most of the Russ Andrews range onto MCRU and lastly Coherent

Mains cables worked for me on different systems

MCRU stuff is decent & they will sell you cables & plugs at reasonable costs for you to DIY some cables up. I made some for myself, more to get the lengths I wanted than to gain any SQ improvement. Can’t say I heard any improvements compared to the usual kettle leads, but at least I know they are well made & not all coiled up & overly long.

The thing is even £20K amps don't have them hardwired in. If they did anything at all, the cost to the manufacturer of including such a thing would be minimal and give them a march on the competition. Yet no one does.

Yes but we aren’t pros are we?
DINs are the next best thing to XLRs. Always hated those silly RCA plugs.

This is an argument as old as the hills, some can’t hear any difference, others hear massive changes. Same for interconnects and speaker cables. Guess it depends on how your brain is wired, or variations in environment. As others have said, try something modest to see which camp you fall in.

advertisement

Back