advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

I’d like to try a full range single driver speaker without crossover, are they any good.
Yes frugalhorns are aplenty second hand and even better is the pearl sibelius which some rave about . I believe a dealer called ? Art of sound has them on demo

I was wondering if there's anybody here who aspires to own loudspeakers that probably won't make it to the room (in this lifetime) as you have settled down with the speaker(s) of your dreams. Your endgame speakers so to speak.

For me, these are few loudspeakers I wish to try/own, only in my dreams;

Proac D2R / D20R
Kudos Titan 505/606
Dynaudio Heritage Special
ATC SCM19
B&W 805 D4
Focal Sopra N1

Hi Ryder,
Unless you have dark, unmentionable tendencies having to do with leather and whips, I can highly recommend that you never, ever, under any circumstances try the Focal Sopra 1. It is the worst sounding speaker I've ever had that displeasure of hearing. I can also confirm, having personally performed the experiment, that high-level Naim, Accuphase and McIntosh are incapable of transforming this monstrosity into something even remotely listenable. Frankly, apart from sitting there looking quite nice, they really cannot do anything right soundwise. They are unimaginably bright, screamingly so and they have literally no bass response. If you listen exclusively to 17th century clavecin, you might be able to listen for 3 minutes. The Focal Sopra 1 deserves a big miss. Your mileage of course may vary. Brgds.

The ATC SCM40A active system will be good for my room. However if I owned one of my choice houses from my imaginary portfolio I would go for the highend ATC Active systems with appropriate matching components for the system, as to which size will depend how large my music room will be (it will be largish at least), maybe engage a professional to get the room acoustics matching the system.

Bowers and Wilkins Nautilus
or
PMC BB6 XBD-A
I can remember hearing a pair of the PMC’s at Home Media in Maidstone, the volume was right up and they sounded impressive, if I remember it was wish you were here playing, when I stepped round the front of the speakers I was blown away by the sound they were producing, epic.

neither are likely unless I have a significant win on the G G’s or PB’s etc.

I know that I’d like a system with Class A amplification and speakers with 12 inch or bigger woofers. Unfortunately they wouldn’t fit the current domestic arrangements but I’ll be looking at that for my retirement system in a new house hopefully. I’ve heard and liked JBLs but would also like to hear Tannoy Legacy stuff and Klipsh Cornwalls.

If we end up living in our current house forever I’d like to try active ATCs, fancy the 20 Pros but that may be a step too far for Mrs BB, most likely active 40s.

Cheers BB

Cabasse Sphere quadriaxial with 21inch Woofer
LA-SPHERE-CAC-PLZ-1.jpg

Oo! Very Commander Straker.

@Tom60300 Interesting, the frequency response don't show what you described. Don't get me wrong I'm not doubting your impressions, I could only imagine that the room have had a bad influence too. Most rooms nowadays are way to bright even the ones from the dealers. https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/minisite/presse/test_sopra1_stereoplay.pdf

Hello,
I have 8 GIK panels installed as an optimization project and my room, 4x8m, was never really problematic. The Sopras are literally "museum pieces" only, meant to be looked at and not heard. I have measured countless times with Dirac and and REW and my impressions are more like the actual reality. Frankly, I would feel guilty even giving these speakers away for free. They are really that bad. (To be fair: listening exclusively to 17th century chamber music may work, but that's it.) Brgds.

Klipsch La Scala AL5
DeVore Orangutan O/96
Harbeth Monitor 40.3 XD
Tannoy Canterbury GR or SE
Vienna Acoustics The Music
Odeon Carnegie

Verity Audio - Parsifal Ovation
supported with FM Acoustic pre/power combo all together with Vertere RG-1 turntable.
I can go str8 to hell with those setup :D

I've got a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c's which I never dreamed of owning a pair.
I really would like to try the original B&W Nautilus speakers after winning the lottery big time.
Or the larger Magico series, like the Q7's.
Of course the larger room in my new house would benefit a larger speaker system.
Although owning an active speaker I can't imagine going back to a passive system.
A large ATC active speaker would be nice to try against my 8c's. Like the SCM300ASLT's.

I've been lucky. I thought TJL 3W's would be an "end run" speaker for me. Snell Reference A5 towers are probably going to be my last speakers now.

I would like a full Snell Reference A5 setup - but with the factory subwoofers having 18" drivers and being designed to fill 9000 cubic metre listening environments, they're that little bit too damn big. I had to compromise... You'd have to throw in a small mansion for those.

I would like a set of B&W Nautilus speakers - and a system to match. A room to match would not go amiss either!

advertisement

Back