advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

Hell, I just want to experience the different classes of speakers at this point not specific models. Large Tannoys or similar, Quad ESL or similar, omnidirectionals, BBC mini monitors, big horns, etc. I'm unlikely to own any of them in my lifetime but I'm curious to understand how they all differ in presentation.

I’d like to try a full range single driver speaker without crossover

Do the laws of physics can allow such a thing to exist.

A single driver capable of full range (20-30Hz to 20-30KHz?) within say +/-3dB would be required. And it would need to be efficient enough and/or capable of handling sufficient power to provide reasonable SPLs.

Any single driver spekaer I have ever read about has either had restricted band-width or restricted power-handling or audible peaks and troughs, or a combination of all three.

Hell, I just want to experience the different classes of speakers at this point not specific models. Large Tannoys or similar, Quad ESL or similar, omnidirectionals, BBC mini monitors, big horns, etc. I'm unlikely to own any of them in my lifetime but I'm curious to understand how they all differ in presentation.

That is by far the best approach to audio IMHO. There are many different approaches and nothing attains a classic status without merit. They are all worth hearing in their own context and can help steer a path as some stuff will click, other stuff won’t. Unfortunately I span several of them as I love large horns, BBC mini-monitors and panels! By saying that I’ve found a lot that doesn’t work for me (high mass, multi-small driver arrays, omnis etc), but I’d struggle with a single system/approach.

I'd like to hear the top-of-the-line Audio Note speakers. The price is baffling to me. I love my Snell J's and would be curious to hear what the difference of a good year's salary would be.

I'll agree with the above...I've never heard many of the classics: LS3/5's, Quads, Klipschorns....I've never heard a Harbeth speaker either.

A single driver capable of full range (20-30Hz to 20-30KHz?) within say +/-3dB would be required. And it would need to be efficient enough and/or capable of handling sufficient power to provide reasonable SPLs.

Any single driver spekaer I have ever read about has either had restricted band-width or restricted power-handling or audible peaks and troughs, or a combination of all three.

Full range refers the the audio/audible frequency, which for a human is 20Hz to 20kHz.

"Full-range" speakers, also know as single-drivers, are in reality wide-range or wide-band but not truly full range since they are unable to cover the whole audible band.
Their unique selling point is point-sourceness. They're often high sensitivity which makes the concept more atractive (but not the sound).
Downsides are a frequency response which tilts steeply upwards from bass to treble (making EQ almost mandatory), extreme beaming at high frequencies, a top end that is marred with breakup ripples, and intermodulationdistortion is a significant problem as is max SPL (with smaller drivers).

A single driver cannot be full-range. You end up wanting to add a tweeter first, and sometimes a sub. (I've owned two pairs)

99% it will never happen but would love to hear the Vandersteen system 7 or 9 in a very large dedicated music room with different turntables to choose from? If the lottery win ever comes this way a room like that could be a lot of fun for hosting social listening.

otherwise I’ve probably heard (B&W, horns, tannoys, Avalon, Magneplanar for example) or owned (Isobarik, Opera, Cadence, Martin Logan, RS10) all I really want to.

The Vandersteen 7 and 9 are both quite spectacular. And have heard them with a couple of different tables - a Klimax LP12 and whatever the top line Brinkmann is.

I agree with you re hearing most of the ones I'd like to, though I confess I'd be curious to hear the big Magicos and I'd love to have a pair of DBLs to try in my room (heard them extensively, but never owned a pair).

I confess I'd be curious to hear the big Magicos

Heard a pair in a very high end domestic system - quite the best non-DSP speakers I have ever heard and easily superior to B&W 802Ns (which I have owned), QUAD 988s (which I listen to frequently) and anything else that springs to mind.

The only ones out there that are true full range single drive units are the older GLL ICT designs. To be fair, they work pretty well!

Would love to hear some vintage field coil types from 1930s cinema.
Big tannoys , ie Westminster.
I’ve never heard any bbc monitors, Rogers or Harbeth, don’t know how I’ve managed that.
Mbl omni’s or jbl everest. Would like to try alternatives to boxes.

There are plenty of people who choose single drivers - diyaudio has it's own little room for them. If there is such a following then they can't be that bad. I do notice though that many are building woofer or tweeter assisted wideband speakers.

I can see the benefit of keeping any filters out of the telecoms frequency range..

As I've only just got up and I'm still in dreamland I'd like a pair of Sound Lab A1's please. Obviously a room for them would come with them.

I'd also like a pair of Voxativ Ampeggio Duo's.

I'd love to try some big Kudos speakers in my room say 808s
This is never going to happen because although my lovely dealer would happily lend me some (and I bought my kudos S20A off him) I would never borrow something I couldn't / wouldn't buy (they are too big and too expensive for me)
But I can dream!

Speakers are just so room & space dependent that there are many I am just not interested in but if I had a massive windfall & a giant house to go with it…

Can you tell me the exact models please? I don't know GLL ICT.

GLL Imagio IC100/110/115/120/130 were the first range. Then came the IC218/238TL/248TL/258TL and then finally the IC318/348TL.

The 258TLs are a pair of speakers that I should have never sold, but I did. Some things they did well, I have few speakers do better but the addition of two more woofers in a transmission line to augment the ICT driver did mean they could be a bit dull at times. If you want to hear the best balanced units, I'd look for a pair of IC120, IC238TL, IC248TL or IC348TL and all three of these models have one extra woofer in addition to the ICT driver. The 'TL' models use a transmission line - the IC120s are just ported.

To hear the ICT driver on its own, you want the IC100/218/318 (standmounters) or the IC110/115 floorstanders.

Well i did say “i would like to try”

I have Jordan Eikona. Maybe they play little bit differently, but that is only for first couple minutes. Yes, little less extensions which you notice with direct comparison to multidriver speakers and forget about them bit later. Never heard small BBC style monitors, but I do not think they play less bass. Vocals are great, and also Yello they can do loud and enjoyable.

advertisement

Back