advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

TAD R1s

a snip at £91,495

R1-Gallery-front.jpg

Infinity IRS
Hartley Quad Decca HQD driven by Mark Levinson

These were both legendary when I first started in my hi Fi journey in the late 70s. Never heard either, but would love to one day.

The ones I’d like to try fit into two categories :
1 excellent (small) stand mounts
2 expensive (to me but not to everyone) floorstanders

On the first I am lucky to already own Boenicke W5. The only small standmounts I’d like to hear alongside them are top end Totems - Model One or Mani-2. Job done

On the second, and because I’ve enjoyed the smaller models, I would like to try :
Top end Totems
Top end Kudos
Top end Boenicke
B&W 801 D4 model
B&W Nautilus - just because they look stunning (IMO)

Into fantasy land I’d love to hear the biggest Focal Utopias in a large room

Hi Ryder,
Unless you have dark, unmentionable tendencies having to do with leather and whips, I can highly recommend that you never, ever, under any circumstances try the Focal Sopra 1. It is the worst sounding speaker I've ever had that displeasure of hearing. I can also confirm, having personally performed the experiment, that high-level Naim, Accuphase and McIntosh are incapable of transforming this monstrosity into something even remotely listenable. Frankly, apart from sitting there looking quite nice, they really cannot do anything right soundwise. They are unimaginably bright, screamingly so and they have literally no bass response. If you listen exclusively to 17th century clavecin, you might be able to listen for 3 minutes. The Focal Sopra 1 deserves a big miss. Your mileage of course may vary. Brgds.

I’ve not heard the Sopras but I have heard Micro Utopias, Diablos and Kantas in the Focal ranges. They aren’t for everyone but looking at the amplification you tried with Sopras I’m not surprised. I’ve not enjoyed Naim or McIntosh with any speakers (not heard Accuphase) so the clue might be in the amps……

I see lots of mentions for original snail Nautilus speakers. I’ve heard them and believe me they would disappoint. Old tech and even the older generations of the new style B&W nautilus speakers are better. They look great but that’s all.

The ones I’d like to try fit into two categories :
1 excellent (small) stand mounts
2 expensive (to me but not to everyone) floorstanders

On the first I am lucky to already own Boenicke W5. The only small standmounts I’d like to hear alongside them are top end Totems - Model One or Mani-2. Job done

On the second, and because I’ve enjoyed the smaller models, I would like to try :
Top end Totems
Top end Kudos
Top end Boenicke
B&W 801 D4 model
B&W Nautilus - just because they look stunning (IMO)

Into fantasy land I’d love to hear the biggest Focal Utopias in a large room
The top end Boenick will beat them all IMO.

I see lots of mentions for original snail Nautilus speakers. I’ve heard them and believe me they would disappoint. Old tech and even the older generations of the new style B&W nautilus speakers are better. They look great but that’s all.

I’d imagined that might be the case. I’d still like to satisfy my curiosity - just out of curiosity . It would save me thinking that I could have great sound and a statement art piece for the price of one . It isn’t lost on me that they are active and need multiple amps too.

advertisement

Back