advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

Always facied something from Wilson Audio. The Alexia 2 are at the sweet spot between "reasonably normal" and "How much?". But they still retail at £65k, so not in this life time.

Klipsch KPT
eyJpZCI6InltYWdlX2ltYWdlLzAwMC8wMzMvNDg3LmpwZyIsInN0b3JhZ2UiOiJzdG9yZSJ9

Yes frugalhorns are aplenty second hand and even better is the pearl sibelius which some rave about . I believe a dealer called ? Art of sound has them on demo

you should have jumped on my Wharfedale Super 10's in the charity thread - as it is, I'm giving them to someone tomorrow. Gold editions too! I had people offering £100 a driver if I'd get rid of the cabinets when they were on ebay...

Electrostats (Quad ESL or Magnepan). I'm tempted to buy a pair of so-called electrostatic headphones just to hear what the fuzz is all about, but am afraid those will not give nearly the same experience.

Duevel Planets or other omnis. A few years ago a second-hand hifi shop near me had a pair for sale, should have picked them up. For a new pair they are too much to simply try; I'm afraid they couldn't be placed permanently in any room of mine.

In the 1970s I ran Cambridge R50s which rivalled my later ESLs but emphasised 401 rumble, so they had to go.

I see that Falcon are selling their IMF 200 TL speakers with the same drivers minus the supertweeter. This sounds too good to be true but at 34kg they are too heavy for these old bones. I loved the B139 action underneath the LS3/5 midrange!

Listened to the B&O BeoLab 90s (think Casper the Ghost trapped in carbonite) which are on demo in Harrods a couple of days ago.

The listening space is very poor as it is open and there is a lot of ambient noise from other devies and people. But the depth and quality of the bass was noticeable. Treble and imaging however seemed mutually exclusive as the salesman played with the DSP settings. Might be worth further investigation...

In the 1970s I ran Cambridge R50s which rivalled my later ESLs but emphasised 401 rumble, so they had to go.

Herb - I ran R50s through the 80s and 90s with great enjoyment.

Bless ‘em, 401 rumble (and 301 in my case) didn’t need much emphasising!

I went to a show in London at a time of open reel tape decks everywhere - very early '70s. What I remember were the ESLs and R50s, I got them both later. I also got a person to person lecture about how much better belt drive turntables were compared to my GL75, This was from the Ariston boss, before Linn LP12s were heard of.

I inherited the R50s my dad bought new in 1972. In the 90s I replaced the tweeters and fitted new crossovers and that got them singing nicely again. By the late 90s I fancied a change and snapped up a pair of Isobariks. Wouldn’t call it an upgrade, just a different presentation. I gave the R50s to a deserving pal.

A couple of months back he brought them over and we tried them out on the end of my Naim 552/500. I was astonished how good they were and would be very content to run a pair.

I inherited the R50s my dad bought new in 1972. In the 90s I replaced the tweeters and fitted new crossovers and that got them singing nicely again. By the late 90s I fancied a change and snapped up a pair of Isobariks. Wouldn’t call it an upgrade, just a different presentation. I gave the R50s to a deserving pal.

A couple of months back he brought them over and we tried them out on the end of my Naim 552/500. I was astonished how good they were and would be very content to run a pair.
Not many speakers will sound bad when driven by a 500..........

I have heard and loved Yamaha NS1000 many times, but supposedly the follow-on model, the NS2000 was even better, though I have never seen or heard one in the flesh. I don't suppose there are a lot of pairs about.

With all you point source lovers out there I'm rather surprised no one has mentioned Manger. Well worth a listen.

Listened to the B&O BeoLab 90s (think Casper the Ghost trapped in carbonite) which are on demo in Harrods a couple of days ago.

The listening space is very poor as it is open and there is a lot of ambient noise from other devies and people. But the depth and quality of the bass was noticeable. Treble and imaging however seemed mutually exclusive as the salesman played with the DSP settings. Might be worth further investigation...

The Harrods B&O guys are a nice bunch, but they seem desperate to demo all the DSP-equipped B&O speakers in 'Wide' mode. As someone else said and, as far as I'm concerned, summed it up perfectly "the only good thing about Wide mode is it makes you appreciate how much better the speakers sound in Normal mode"

I'd like to hear a lot of these iconic speakers (ESL 57's, tannoy Westminsters, big horns, enormous dalek Wilsons etc.) but I like listening to music in the living room and even with an unlimited budget, I wouldn't want an enormous living room, or a living room completely dominated by huge speakers, so as a result, my nomination for "Loudspeaker I'd most like to try" is relatively modest...

Franco Serblin Accordo:
gL2qmUROKP8ekFuwFZR2YDHz56Bd0fS4dfhYjQt8zBueEdo5yYWGR0_rpQ5BN3dasG5HmBrtHu90MtACOO4epvWUkeeDhTk6mLRd-WVph4gKqcfxfS6CN7jj3j2a02NrJVJw1yQy3Z2prKVNTpepAmPtVpbK8w

I'd like to hear a lot of these iconic speakers (ESL 57's, tannoy Westminsters, big horns, enormous dalek Wilsons etc.) but I like listening to music in the living room and even with an unlimited budget, I wouldn't want an enormous living room, or a living room completely dominated by huge speakers, so as a result, my nomination for "Loudspeaker I'd most like to try" is relatively modest...

Franco Serblin Accordo:
gL2qmUROKP8ekFuwFZR2YDHz56Bd0fS4dfhYjQt8zBueEdo5yYWGR0_rpQ5BN3dasG5HmBrtHu90MtACOO4epvWUkeeDhTk6mLRd-WVph4gKqcfxfS6CN7jj3j2a02NrJVJw1yQy3Z2prKVNTpepAmPtVpbK8w

I couldn't have put it better myself, the Accordo or preferably the Accordo Essence will most likely be my next speakers and hopefully last, that's if they fare as well as the FS designed SF speakers .

advertisement

Back