advertisement

Lid up or down when playing vinyl ?

On an LP12 lid up sounds better than lid down, lid off sounds best.

I wouldn't contradict that, but I've never seen a blind test which proves it can be heard in a typical set-up.

If you have the turntable right near the speakers then I'm sure it's true when playing really loud.

What bothers me about lids is that they do not seem to have been designed with acoustic feedback in mind. For example, the Technics and Linn lids are quite resonant when tapped, and if the needle's on the record it is easy to hear the thudding.

A really good lid, light and stiff, could shield the record, platter and arm from airborn vibrations without behaving like a bass resonator.

It wouldn't take an hour to DIY a better-designed lid out of foam board with stiffening ribs on top. A decent industrial designer could make it cheap and not ugly using, say, moulded and skinned polystyrene. I don't know why such a cheap accessory isn't popular.

A really good lid, light and stiff, could shield the record, platter and arm from airborn vibrations without behaving like a bass resonator.

A tea-towel on the lid would do that.

Audiophile Doilies - a new business opportunity

4011-6-ECRU.jpg

I'm not sure making the lid heavier but no more stiff is the best solution.

Also I've seen an Ekos levitate off a record due to the electrostatic charge on a Sondek lid, so be careful how you remove the tea towel at the end of the record. Lids are annoying enough without having to place and remove a damper with each side.

I play lid up.... not that I think it matters, it is just convenient to not play with the lid during a record playing session.

I seem to remember some of the mags in the (80s?) got hot under the collar about the lid thing... one (IIRC) even went so far as to 'prove' that the static from the lid affected the stylus force (reduced it) if the lid was closed during playing!

I have a Sony ps-6750 with a replacement lid. The original had, I believe, an arrangement of wires or something - elven hair, perhaps - embedded in it, purportedly to reduce static.

Last edited:
Perspex cover on for me over a Roksan Radius 5. It only contacts the shelf, not the turntable, so hopefully the resonant mass doesn't have a huge effect. Can't hear a difference with it on or off to be honest, but I never really know what it is people hear differently in such comparisons.

It wouldn't take an hour to DIY a better-designed lid out of foam board with stiffening ribs on top. A decent industrial designer could make it cheap and not ugly using, say, moulded and skinned polystyrene. I don't know why such a cheap accessory isn't popular.

Probably because people can take the lid off.

Probably because people can take the lid off.

Yes, agreed, but as I said, it shouldn't be impossible to sell audiophiles a lid which shields the record and arm from airborn sound to some limited extent, and taking lids off is a chore. I do it, but a lid which was rumoured, true or not, to make the deck sound better rather than worse could tempt me to abandon the practice ;-)

Because it would be deemed ugly.

If it were an inoffensive colour, e.g. black or white, and no bigger than the standard lid, but used the internal empty space for stiffening and isolation of the platter-disc-arm system from airborn vibrations, it needn't be ugly while getting the job done, in someone's imagination. Neurotics like me might be happier keeping it on/closed while playing without imagining the horrors of feedback from the standard bass-resonator-type lid, or of reduced downforce from static. That's the advantage.

I play lid up.... not that I think it matters, it is just convenient to not play with the lid during a record playing session.

I seem to remember some of the mags in the (80s?) got hot under the collar about the lid thing... one (IIRC) even went so far as to 'prove' that the static from the lid affected the stylus force (reduced it) if the lid was closed during playing!
Some of the old Sony DDs had antistatic markings on the lid I think my old PS6750 was one.

I wouldn't contradict that, but I've never seen a blind test which proves it can be heard in a typical set-up.

Also I've seen an Ekos levitate off a record due to the electrostatic charge on a Sondek lid

So either it makes no difference, or it can physically lift the arm off the record, which is it?

Lid up on Funk Firm LSD, not enough clearance when playing warped records and concerned about breaking it when taking it on and off daily. Using LP12 with Naim ARO I removed lid due to tight clearance. Kuzma didn't have a lid or cover.

So either it makes no difference, or it can physically lift the arm off the record, which is it?

I don't know! As I said, I have seen an Ekos lift off the playing record. If you want to confirm this with an inexpensive cartridge, try rubbing the lid with something woolly while it's playing. I suspect it will not be impossible to cause levitation. I can't explain it otherwise.

I once found an open camera flight case with an inch of water under the foam. There was no sign of leaks on the ceiling. Again - a possible explanation is that condensation of humid air occurred over time in the foam and leaked down. Surprising physical phenomena which you observe with your own eyes must have an explanation. We do our best.

advertisement

Back