advertisement

Lid up or down when playing vinyl ?

Several aeons ago when I had vinyl I generally kept the lid shut. This was somewhat fraught as my Thorens TD150B deck had a narrow ledge that the lid pivoted on to open and close it, rather than proper hinges, and there was always the risk that the lid would slide off mid-manoevre with damage to the LP a likely outcome. Especially after the consumption of certain, ahem, substances.

Several aeons ago when I had vinyl I generally kept the lid shut. This was somewhat fraught as my Thorens TD150B deck had a narrow ledge that the lid pivoted on to open and close it, rather than proper hinges, and there was always the risk that the lid would slide off mid-manoevre with damage to the LP a likely outcome. Especially after the consumption of certain, ahem, substances.
Just as well, the old TX11 dustcover used to chew up the plinth too.

s-l1600.jpg

Up or down, no difference to me. One of the audiophile myths this.

It's not a myth, quite obviously. Attaching a big resonant mass to a device that is all about capturing tiny vibrations is not a good idea.

Of course people need to use lids for reasons and safeguarding things, protection from dust, etc. But having one on your deck while playing is really not ideal. Down is probably better because it will damp some of the vibration.

Lid off, mainly because playing records is enough of a faff without having to put the lid back on. (It's a lift-off, no hinges lid. Otherwise, I'd probably leave it on. And up).

Any of the three options, depending on mood.

Rega make a nice lid to protect the TT so it's always on, just if I'm going to play a few singles I usually take it off for convenience

Down is probably better because it will damp some of the vibration.

mmm… my mind tells me that the lid down makes the turntable act more like a box, attracting more vibration, and potentially 4 points of contact with the turntable rather than just the 2 hinges - assuming that the lid will rest on the deck when down, not all do.

(no lids here)

Which month, exactly?

:)

I am considering (was considering) getting a lid made for the palmer and contacted some bloke who does this stuff for hiFi. He wanted near 500 squids to make same from acrylic so it's no lid right now,
but would be OFF if I had one.

God only knows, thankfully I wasn't there but some of the eyesores as still present today!

The price of acrylic is through the roof at the moment.

It's not a myth, quite obviously. Attaching a big resonant mass to a device that is all about capturing tiny vibrations is not a good idea.

Of course people need to use lids for reasons and safeguarding things, protection from dust, etc. But having one on your deck while playing is really not ideal. Down is probably better because it will damp some of the vibration.

Thanks Tim that makes perfect sense.
LP12 user and if I am having a good session have the lid off but weather I could tell the improvement with lid on and down in a blind listening - God knows

No lid on my lenco during play, although do put on a spare planar 3 one to stop dust or curious cats when its off a few days...

advertisement

Back