advertisement

Lib Dems - Tories in Disguise

SNP and Greens have completely repudiated the LDs' position. Lib Dems are way out on a limb, and if I had more faith in their acumen or integrity I'd say they were deliberately falling on their sword for the good of the remain alliance.

If in the end they increase the number of seats then it isn't really a bad strategy.
They can only revoke A50 if they have a majority, otherwise they'll just fall back in line with the other remain parties and go for a 2nd referendum.

If in the end they increase the number of seats then it isn't really a bad strategy.
They can only revoke A50 if they have a majority, otherwise they'll just fall back in line with the other remain parties and go for a 2nd referendum.
This assumes the strategy will not split the vote elsewhere, gifting an extra seat to the Conservatives.

It might not, but I'd love to see a proper quantitative analysis of this risk.

In the absence of such analysis, why make an already volatile situation more unpredictable?

Caroline Lucas' analysis is spot on.

This assumes the strategy will not split the vote elsewhere, gifting an extra seat to the Conservatives.

It might not, but I'd love to see a proper quantitative analysis of this risk.

In the absence of such analysis, why make an already volatile situation more unpredictable?

Caroline Lucas' analysis is spot on.

I am not defending their strategy, merely speculating on its goal.

So, only the SNP has any credibility re: Brexit? How do we get 400 SNP MPs? Is there anything stopping them standing in Birmingham?

I’m curious about all the energy from Labour pfm members around the Lib Dem position of stopping Brexit. What’s that about?

Attacking and smearing the Lib Dems is far easier than presenting a policy that people will actually vote for! Meanwhile Captain Fenceman remains neutral...

Remainers want to remain.

OK, this isn't easy, nor guaranteed, and the only possible path is via another referendum.

But first, everything must be done to stop a Tory/Brexit Party win in a GE, should it come before Brexit, because such a win would mean no referendum, and a hard Brexit.

The LDs have so far ruled out the possibility of cooperating with Labour in order to try to ensure no such success for the Tories/Brexit Party in a GE.

Why?

I’m curious about all the energy from Labour pfm members around the Lib Dem position of stopping Brexit. What’s that about?
I'm swinging between the two, but currently swung back over to Labour. Lib Dems under Swinson are like the new fascist boot boys in town. It really has surprised me. Authoritarianism pisses me off much more than left or right.

I just really hate the Lib Dems! I think I always did, but 3 years banging on about Brexit only to embark on a strategy which, if successful, will almost certainly lead to no deal is just...it's peak stunt politics isn't it? Plastic bag-worrying tossers.

The LDs have so far ruled out the possibility of cooperating with Labour in order to try to ensure no such success for the Tories/Brexit Party in a GE.

Maybe that is because this Labour party are just discredited unelectable divided untrustworthy crap? Even at this late stage in the day the incompetent Corbyn is “neutral”. Labour being the largest party at the next GE currently has better odds than an outright Tory majority FFS! That’s how out of touch and unelectable they are. Just beyond hopeless, and they actually try to deflect blame onto smaller parties for the abject three-year failure of their leadership to mount any credible opposition to the worst Conservative party in living memory! Enjoy your fail.

Maybe that is because this Labour party are just discredited unelectable divided untrustworthy crap? Even at this late stage in the day the incompetent Corbyn is “neutral”. Labour being the largest party at the next GE currently has better odds than an outright Tory majority FFS! That’s how out of touch and unelectable they are. Just beyond hopeless, and they actually try to deflect blame onto smaller parties for the abject three-year failure of their leadership to mount any credible opposition to the worst Conservative party in living memory! Enjoy your fail.

Massive projection there.

The LDs are the self-described party of remain, yet are refusing to do what's necessary to remain.

I ask again, why are they refusing to cooperate with Labour in order to stop a hard Tory Brexit?

They're worried about their MPs losing seats. So they should be. If I hadn't voted LD in 2010, I'd put my X next to them on the ballot paper this year, as I reckon a lot of Labour and Tory Remainers will.

The way Clegg, Cable and the rest of the Tory ass-sniffers - which includes Swineson - went directly against the LD manifesto in 2010 put me off them for life. There is no excuse whatsoever for their behaviour. It's amazing how even the merest taste of power corrupts.

Labour know they are going to lose seats. The EU Elections were a forerunner - the Lib Dems won more seats than Labour, who have been trying to dismiss the result ever since.

The louder Labour beat their chests and whine about the revoking of Article 50 being undemocratic, the more pathetic they sound. I was planning to vote Green, but now Caroline Lucas is against the revoking of Article 50.

It's a confusing world. Let's see what happens during the other Conferences. Labour might finally pull their collective finger out of their shitty ideological assholes about Brexit.

I guess the VONC in Johnson and his cabal is being kept until all the other options run out.

It will be amusing if the Supreme Court decides this week that Johnson acted illegally when he prorogued Parliament. It will certainly kick off and paint him an even sicklier colour of bile.

Murdoch's Scum says "The Tories are worried the Supreme Court will rule against it over the PM’s decision to suspend Parliament" and they will in effect rewrite the Constitution.

I look forward to hearing John Major later. It's instructive to watch the Tories tearing themselves apart. Labour could learn from it.

Jack

I think we need a referendum before a GE. The Tory rebels are already hinting it will go this way. Surely there would be a majority in the house for this outcome, now that it is clear that the far-right govt wants to throw the country under the bus.

Discovering this thread.

Well here in France we have M. Macron, a "Tory" in disguise too. Remember he was a banker. Many were fooled into believing he was left-wing.

advertisement

Back