advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer V

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are not interested in Facts, they prefer to live in marshmallow land than Covid island. Different times, this is not 1980 anymore. People want the bullshit if it's wrapped in deceit with a topping of optimism.
The question is, do you accommodate the granny killing bullshit to gain electoral viability? Or do you challenge it because it’s, er, bullshit?

The question is, do you accommodate the granny killing bullshit to gain electoral viability? Or do you challenge it because it’s, er, bullshit?
It's challenged on a daily basis, but no one is listening, people don't want to listen. On the day of the £20 cut to benefits the Tories were having a karaoke party. All documented, all there for people to see. Won't make a jot, no matter what the opposition claim. We are fast becoming a right wing populist country.

Until the country hits rock bottom, like any addict, only then will people open their eyes & move onwards & upwards & this country is heading in this direction under Boris's rule. He's a chaotic sociopath.

The deputy mayor of Camden, the borough in which Keir Starmer’s parliamentary seat lies, has defected to the Green party, citing Starmer’s lack of ‘coherent vision’ and the fact that Labour no longer aligns with her “core values of social justice, equality, and environmentalism”, according to the Camden New Journal.

The deputy mayor of Camden, the borough in which Keir Starmer’s parliamentary seat lies, has defected to the Green party, citing Starmer’s lack of ‘coherent vision’ and the fact that Labour no longer aligns with her “core values of social justice, equality, and environmentalism”, according to the Camden New Journal.

Good on her, that'll have Conservative Central Office scared.

There was a very perceptive 3-part series recently on BBC R4 recently about the genesis of the rise of the SNP and a wish for Scottish Independence

I've tried finding this and came up against Kirtsy Wark's 4 part series about Scottish writers - please provide a link.

Regards

Richard

It’s incredible that so many voters (and sections of the media) in part of the U.K. are prepared to collude with Boris Johnson, then again Jimmy Savile was viewed as a national treasure for decades, quite probably by many of the same people.

It’s incredible that so many voters (and sections of the media) in part of the U.K. are prepared to collude with Boris Johnson, then again Jimmy Savile was viewed as a national treasure for decades, quite probably by many of the same people.
Yes, I am quite fearful for our political future when I compare the hysteria, hatred and lies generated against Corbyn who was a bit scruffy and not very bright, and the adulation, sympathy and forgiveness shown Johnson who has killed thousands, impoverished thousands, is a supporter of racism and division and lies as a matter or course.

Boris' voters are fairly well insulated from the current crises: it will be a while before most are directly affected in anything like a critical way. So the Labour strategy of doing nothing and waiting for the Tories to simply mess up is...a fairly long term one, at best.

Flurry of very grim polls yesterday but the one that stood out is that only around 50% of 2019 *Labour* voters now think that Starmer would make a better PM than Johnson. It's quite an achievement given the kid glove treatment Starmer has so far received from the media, and a reminder that when centrist types talk about electability they really just mean someone who they, personally, would look up to as their manager/daddy: it has nothing to do with actual elections.

Boris' voters are fairly well insulated from the current crises: it will be a while before most are directly affected in anything like a critical way.

I’m not so sure. The ‘red wall’ certainly looks to be flipping back now, even faced with Starmer’s ideology vacuum people are finally starting to grasp Brexit only ever meant extreme poverty, hardship and division. Obviously Labour failed to make this case in the first place, but they are the only alternative many recognise regardless how awful their track record. Johnson will be losing votes from wealthier seats too, but to the LDs and Greens. I don’t think Labour stand a hope in hell of winning a majority, but that is down to them being idea-free careerist shit, not the Tories being any better. At this point I’d bet on the next election hanging, though the odds aren’t good enough to make it worth wasting money on at this stage.

people are finally starting to grasp Brexit only ever meant extreme poverty, hardship and division.

I hope you’re right, but when I talk to people around here that might be quick to be angry about poverty and shortages, but they are still unwilling to make the connection to Brexit and even, in a farming community struggling under the shortage of labour, unwilling to recognise their dependence on cheap foreign workers. It’s very odd, but there it is.

Are people in the Red Wall starting to talk about recognising Brexit as a mistake?

Are people in the Red Wall starting to talk about recognising Brexit as a mistake?

I’ve certainly seen stats that imply most if not all the ‘red wall’ has now flipped away from the Tories, thankfully including Haywood & Middleton which is a neighbouring seat. That was one of several that wouldn’t have gone if Farage/Banks hadn’t bought the Labour racist/nationalist vote to let the Tories in though (i.e. the seat fell by far less than the Farage vote).

As ever we are working with an incomplete dataset given people like Farage, Galloway etc can really have a huge impact on Labour without being legitimate parties with memberships, manifestos etc, but based on the existing market (Tory, Lab, LD, Green) it looks very much like these seats are now back with Labour.

The Brexit symptoms of rising food prices, obvious shortages, vastly increased energy prices, unemployment, poverty etc will hit hardest in these areas too. Really hard. The problem is Johnson is a well schooled Trump-clone popularist and I’m sure will go into the election with a range of totally uncosted popularist policies (minimum wage rises, duplicitous promises regarding funding the NHS along with anti-immigration rhetoric that is popular here). Like Farage he understands his marks well. He’ll make it very hard for Labour, especially if Labour continue with a strategy of deliberate nothingness.

I’ve certainly seen stats that imply most if not all the ‘red wall’ has now flipped away from the Tories, thankfully including Haywood & Middleton which is a neighbouring seat. That was one of several that wouldn’t have gone if Farage/Banks hadn’t bought the Labour racist/nationalist vote to let the Tories in though (i.e. the seat fell by far less than the Farage vote).

As ever we are working with an incomplete dataset given people like Farage, Galloway etc can really have a huge impact on Labour without being legitimate parties with memberships, manifestos etc, but based on the existing market (Tory, Lab, LD, Green) it looks very much like these seats are now back with Labour.

The Brexit symptoms of rising food prices, obvious shortages, vastly increased energy prices, unemployment, poverty etc will hit hardest in these areas too. Really hard. The problem is Johnson is a well schooled Trump-clone popularist and I’m sure will go into the election with a range of totally uncosted popularist policies (minimum wage rises, duplicitous promises regarding funding the NHS along with anti-immigration rhetoric that is popular here). Like Farage he understands his marks well. He’ll make it very hard for Labour, especially if Labour continue with a strategy of deliberate nothingness.
Yes, I suppose the red wall attitude to Brexit will determine Labour’s position. My fear is that people might turn away from Johnson, but only to someone who promises more of same fundamental issues that benights us.

In other words without some realisation that it’s photocathode that needs to change, not the personality, real change will be a sham

Good Evening All (again),

This question is entirely off topic but why do organisations put time limits on the availability of things they post on catch up sites???? Seems kind of counter-intuitive to me.

Regards

Richard

The BBC standard has been for iPlayer items to be available for a month/4weeks. However they have been changing this so more and more programmes have become available as full series for long periods.

A snag is that many of their programmes are now bought in from 'production companies' so 'rights issues' become a factor. Which for the BBC means "costs more" if they want availability to endure.

Similarly, what was their studio operations is now treated essentially like a distinct 'company' that has to make money in competition with other commercial companies who make programmes the BBC might then buy in. Which also impacts the above.

Thus they have to pick and choose. I'm sure they'd love to extend this, but their UK income is, in practice, throttled and manipulated by UK Government. Hence the way they make some TV programmes aimed at the USA, etc, to bring in dosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back