advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson said some strange things on the Today programme...er today. Strange for him anyway. For all his annoyingness he is perhaps one of the first to understand the government's currency power. When the presenter (bald fellow, glasses and had a throat operation...?) asked him 'who' was going to pay the increase in corporation tax, Johnson said, well the corporations obviously!
I could imagine his donors crossing him off their Christmas card lists.
If you mean Nic Robinson he had lung cancer.

The usual populist Tory clap trap from Boris today.

Cameron in a clowns wig with an outlook so bleak for the vulnerable in society i dare to use the word Nazi party when describing the current bunch of self absorbed, self obsessed, privileged bunch of SCUM!! currently residing on the right.

I’d say any half competent opposition party would be. The way the SNP have driven both the Tories and Labour from Scotland has to stand as proof of concept. Labour’s problem is Labour IMO, not the leader. It’s just a dead, obsolete and tainted party from the last century.

I’d say any half competent opposition party would be. The way the SNP have driven both the Tories and Labour from Scotland has to stand as proof of concept. Labour’s problem is Labour IMO, not the leader. It’s just a dead, obsolete and tainted party from the last century.
Not sure that the success of the SNP in Scotland would necessarily translate into success with an essentially conservative English electorate, but yes, the Labour party is very much stuck in a mindset determined to appease and acquiesce to a conservative mindset by calling it the centre ground regardless of it’s continual shift towards populism.

Even more damaging to Labour is that it has followed the Tory trajectory to such an extent that it has abandoned traditional Labour ground on areas like public spending, and let the Tories claim it as their own.

Labour has chopped off one of it’s legs in order to hop to ground the Tories already have two feet in, lost the ground it once had a toehold in, and now has nowhere to stand.

Last edited:
Labour has chopped off one of it’s legs in order to hop to ground already securely held, lost the ground it once had a foot in, and now has nowhere to stand.

They mainly seem to be hopping up and down outside the Daily Express offices to my eyes.

There was a very perceptive 3-part series recently on BBC R4 recently about the genesis of the rise of the SNP and a wish for Scottish Independence. I recommend people listening to it. It does explain why it has lead to the transfer of votes away from other parties to the SNP. Factors apply of which people in England may be unaware. Both of the main UK parties shot themselves in the foot in spectacular fashion over some decades.

The thing that amazes me is the SNP, an actual nationalist party, come across as progressive, tolerant and genuinely left wing, whereas Labour come over as remarkably gammony and tabloid-nationalist in pretty much every way! It is so bizarre. I guess its an England/Scotland thing to some degree, they just seems places with a very different mindset. Sadly Labour all too often follows the Tories to the bottom of the barrel.

Johnson said some strange things on the Today programme...er today. Strange for him anyway. For all his annoyingness he is perhaps one of the first to understand the government's currency power. When the presenter (bald fellow, glasses and had a throat operation...?) asked him 'who' was going to pay the increase in corporation tax, Johnson said, well the corporations obviously!
I could imagine his donors crossing him off their Christmas card lists.

Except they won't, because (as I assume Nic Robinson was trying to get the demented bufoon to admit) the corporations will pass these costs on to either their employees through lower wages, their customers through higher prices, their shareholders through lower dividends, or some combination thereof. As the shareholders are the only group with the power to dismiss members of the board, or reduce their renumeration, where might one expect them to pass the bulk of these costs?

Except they won't, because (as I assume Nic Robinson was trying to get the demented bufoon to admit) the corporations will pass these costs on to either their employees through lower wages, their customers through higher prices, their shareholders through lower dividends, or some combination thereof. As the shareholders are the only group with the power to dismiss members of the board, or reduce their renumeration, where might one expect them to pass the bulk of these costs?
Of course, I don't doubt what shareholders would actually do. It's what has always made corporation tax a practically useless tax in progressive terms, unless it is thoroughly enforced.

Of course, I don't doubt what shareholders would actually do. It's what has always made corporation tax a practically useless tax in progressive terms, unless it is thoroughly enforced.
Quite, it is essentially an inefficient and regressive way to raise a stealth tax on income and sales.

Any half competent leader would be 20 points ahead by now….
You are forgetting the public obsession with Boris, he could probably kill his granny & stay in power as long as he puts a smile on it. The guy is bullet proof with the morons in society. We are living in a world where populist leadership is gaining ground & the moronic few will listen to anything as long as it's wrapped up in a ribbon.

You are forgetting the public obsession with Boris, he could probably kill his granny & stay in power as long as he puts a smile on it. The guy is bullet proof with the morons in society. We are living in a world where populist leadership is gaining ground & the moronic few will listen to anything as long as it's wrapped up in a ribbon.
Boris could only get away with killing his granny, or more likely someone else’s, because Starmer is sitting on the fence and missing so many granny killing open goals

Boris could only get away with killing his granny, or more likely someone else’s, because Starmer is sitting on the fence and missing so many granny killing open goals
People are not interested in Facts, they prefer to live in marshmallow land than Covid island. Different times, this is not 1980 anymore. People want the bullshit if it's wrapped in deceit with a topping of optimism.

“Granny killing is clearly a highly nuanced and complex issue. It would be unwise for Labour to announce any firm policy this far from an election.”…

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back