advertisement

Kit you regretted buying

I built a system with

Arcam CD73
Naim Nait 5 Amp
Quad 11L
Silver aniversary biwire cable

Each component is great, but stick them together and it was too bright.

I'm quite surprised here... The Nait 5 amp is probably the smoothest amp Naim ever made, and the Qaud 11L are sooo warm, smooth, laid-back sounding, that I could almost fall asleep, when I auditioned them once at the end of my Nait 5i.

So, I can imagine that the system was dissapointing, but...too bright ? :confused: (must 've been the QED S.A. cable then I guess)

I bought a Kikkin 2 from Lejonklou. About two weeks later my wife delivered our son, and I missed Lejonklou's 30 day return policy by two days because my hands were a bit full. Fredrik Lejonklou refused to refund, even though I had warned him two weeks earlier that I might want to send it back. What an arsehole. I'll never buy anything from him or recommend Lejonklou again.

Totally. What I heard was the effects of the weed enhancing the music. And me believing it was getting better each time. Almost each new bit of mana would come with a "gift", not always, after a while i just kidded myself in the way jtc did. Groupthink. Mana sheep no different from other sheep.

The weed was floating about the inner circle, which were the "apostles" of the faith. Not sure how much further out it spread. Certainly not to the international customers.

he probably knew (being a sharp marketeer) that the international customers had access to product of much higher quality; that this might then cause them to question the rack's relative quality.

Hope this won't start a series of replies on how wrong-headed I am, but...

I regret buying Naim Nait XS, CD5X, and Flatcap 2X. While the initial presentation sounded exciting to me, I eventually found it too aggressive sounding for everyday listening.

Also regretted buying a Linn Mimik - another initially exciting but eventually annoying piece of equipment.

I'm surprised, read all those replys and no Linn Ninka's ? An inefficent fake sounding speaker. Of course I added the stone bases, better cables and amps. Only slightly better in the end. I was lucky enough to unload them at a fair loss. They were revatively still new to consumers and there was interest.
I have taken far worse financial beatings on other gear. But, at least it was stuff that I enjoyed listening to.

I bought this rather horrible black silk shirt, I'm 54 with not very slim body. I looked like a t**t. But seriously a had this QED A240 amp I bought in the 80's To go with my Rega P3. The thing keep blowing very time I pulled out the headphone jack. It was a shared house to I had to keep the noise down after dark. It turned out to be design flaw, after I sent it back 4 times for repair

Cambridge 740A amp made a horrible cracking sound into the speakers if you even touched the h/p jack. It also boasted blue LEDs - yuk ! And sounded constrained.

I prefer my Pioneer A400.

I also like Audio Innovations Alto (gorgeous top end). MF A1 - smooth, switch it on and sound just fades in with no clicks or clunks.

Yamaha AX-430 - black Japanese and dependably built 22 years old and still sounds sweeter tha its lowly status would suggest.

Bill Beard BB100 - all valves (18!) and chrome. Plenty of push pull sumptuous welly.

Albarry PP1 nice, inexpensive sits well with top of the range kit. Hard to find nowadays

Oh I forgot this thread is about hifi regrets....

Arcam AVR100
Arcam DV88

Arcams first foray into Home cinema/surround. Went through two AVR's and three DV88's before getting a pair that worked.

Utterly shocking reliability, coming from Arcam Alpha series it really shook my confidence in the brand.

After going through NAD, Rotel, and Marantz I now have an Arcam A22 and DV29, both second-hand. Don't think I would buy anything new off Arcam again until they've been run in for at least 5 years :)

I regret having bought several kit through the years...

To name a few:

Marantz PM80
Proceed CDP1
Cyrus 3i
Cyrus dad1
Sonus Faber Concertino Home
Nakamichi CDP-2

"without the need for foo"

Ah!

The poster has to use that belittling word......just shows he hasn't quite understood, unfortunately!

:)

Yes, foo is a belittling word. "mumbo jumbo for the gullible & foolish" says it so much better.

Chris

teac vrds 7, it just sounded lifeless and veild
marantz dv4100 seriously unreliable
apollo aria (modular) hifi rack, now don't get me wrong this was a beautifully made peice of kit but they changed the finish so when i came to buy more shelfs they didn't match

I should update my list,

All cyrus kit I have brought, it was great for the first six months then started failing constantly and lost a huge amount of value, I lost out big time with this kit.

Cambridge dacmagic, this seems to be a popular piece of kit and after reading a post from somebody saying they couldn't hear a difference between it and the rega dac (I own and love the rega dac) I brought one to see.
I tried it for three weeks and really couldn't get on with it, the rega is in another league.
I wasted my money, ok I only lost £50 but it was in a space of three weeks and for a product which frustrated me!

Biggest regret eh - well back in the 1980s to replace my trusty Sansui 222 turntable I bought a Garrard 401 in very nice condition complete with SME plinth and SME arm and a Shure V something cartridge. But the plinth was so big it simply didn't fit in my sitting room so I sold it again and got less than the £30 I paid for it - why did I do that?????

Hey:

Prima Luna Prologue 4 power amp. I know the stuff gets much love here
and on other forums but my first one purchased new broke after
a few days. The second one sent as a replacement by the dist here
in the US worked for a couple months then it died. Sent for repair
to the factory authorized tech. Bad output Tranny which he told me was not
uncommon in moment of candor. Beyond that the thing never sounded
that great IMO in my system...and yes I tube rolled ect. I use Rega r7's
speaks which are easy to drive.

Shahinian Arcs bought second had. I like the Hawks and Diapasons but
the smaller stuff all of which I've heard are a compromise at best
to my ear and still need Big Ass amps to do anything.

I bought a Kikkin 2 from Lejonklou. About two weeks later my wife delivered our son, and I missed Lejonklou's 30 day return policy by two days because my hands were a bit full. Fredrik Lejonklou refused to refund, even though I had warned him two weeks earlier that I might want to send it back. What an arsehole. I'll never buy anything from him or recommend Lejonklou again.

Why did you buy an audio component when you were expecting a child? Really, you've told the story umpteen times, expecting sympathy, but I really can't see why Lejonklou was supposed to give you a refund outside the proscribed period.

advertisement

Back