advertisement

Kit you regretted buying

Only kit I've regretted buying was a Marantz PM94. It sounded fantastic when it was running, hooked up to my Townshend Rock/Koetsu, driving a pair of Snell Type J/IIs.

But the amp blew up on me 6 times. It's still sitting in its original box in a corner of the house, waiting for my will power to weaken and to have just one more go at fixing it.

Won't happen ...

I regret nothing, over 40 years of buying hi fi. Why? Because you learn every time; of course you still make mistakes, but hopefully they are different ones. You can't engage in this hobby without a few risks, that is part of the fun.
Item I most disliked/sold most swiftly? A Chord 1200 amp. It could strip wallpaper from 90 feet.

I regret nothing, over 40 years of buying hi fi. Why? Because you learn every time; of course you still make mistakes, but hopefully they are different ones. You can't engage in this hobby without a few risks, that is part of the fun.
Item I most disliked/sold most swiftly? A Chord 1200 amp. It could strip wallpaper from 90 feet.

I like this notion, after all I'm over the moon with my system now!

It was a bit dissheartening though to lay out near £4k on a cd player for it to only be usable for a few months before loosing 60% of it's value, I did find products that I was happy with in the end :).

Monitor Audio RS6. First experiment in trying to get a more full-range sound after using Kans for ages. The problem was the treble, which I found harsh and nasty after a while. Sold them for more than I paid on eBay, something I still feel slightly guilty about (put a high Buy it now price and someone paid it).

Tim

Moving up the Naim ladder with NAC282 HICAP, 250-2. Should have spent more time listening to a wider range of material when demoing. Also a mistake going the opposite way and removing all the boxes and replacing with an integrated KAV400, not that it was a bad amp - just a poor decision, I couldn't do without the best that the Naim kit provided (just didn't want the worst bits as well!). Losing £2000 on a Unidisk (came a close second to my all time favorite loss of £4000 on a car I only paid £6500 10 months previous!)

My only regret: Naim 01 tuner.
Lovely device, but with much angst & sadness I took two years to learn the local FM signal isn't up to standard.

My only regret: Naim 01 tuner.
Lovely device, but with much angst & sadness I took two years to learn the local FM signal isn't up to standard.

I thought you are an ex BBC teckie, so you should be well up on all things technical.

Let me offer you some commercial advice, sell the NAT01 and you should make a profit. The things are still fetching silly money.

Naim 72 both times I purchased. I read the raves, bought one and thought it was defective, tried another one with the same results. Even went so far as to buy some Avondale boards, slight improvement but still not worth it's reputation. Before you ask, tried with a recapped 140 and a 180. Speakers were Dynaudio Focus 140s tied together with NACA A5. Bought a MBL 7006 and have been happy ever since.

advertisement

Back