advertisement

Kit you regretted buying

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
Mission PCM7000 - imported blind from overseas and almost put me off CDs for life.

Linn Nexus - could never figure out why I didn't get rhythm & timing, even with an LP12 up front.

McLaren A150b - the feeblest 75W integrated amp you couldn't give away. Easily trumped by a 5W triode.

James

My DAB tuner. It's not the tuner's fault, so no names, but the BBC.

Digital TV gets a higher quality digital radio signal.

Having had good experiences with my original Cyrus 1, I 'upgraded' to a Cyrus 8. Having failed to learn my lesson, I added PSXR and eventually SmartPower. Sold the lot, got a Glasshoue TVC / WAD6550 combo and never looked back. I still like the Cyrus 1 though.

Too many to mention. Not that any were especially bad, just that I spent far too much time and money faffing about with sideways moves instead of sticking with (perfectly adequate) budget stuff or saving enough for 'the best''.

Cyrus 2
Cambridge 840A (got refund though)
Celestion SL6 (what posessed me!)
Goldring Eroica
Icon MC34 A
Monitor Audio R352
Mission 737

A HFN inspired system, bought without demo-ing...
MF A1 + MF Solid Core Cable + MF MC2 speakers = sleep city

Linn Karma MC cartridge.

Bought 2nd hand for £170. Best sounding cartridge I've had so far. Great tracking - tip was like new.

Only lasted 3 months before my toddler son broke the cantilever - presumably trying to copy daddy.

I regret buying my 92.
Not because it's a bad piece of kit (it's actually rather good!), but because I really wanted a Nait and I got one of them a few days after and so never used the 92.
It's available in classifieds.

A HFN inspired system, bought without demo-ing...
MF A1 + MF Solid Core Cable + MF MC2 speakers = sleep city
Two people fondly remember the A1 on the other thread. Isn't that interesting? FWIW, I have mixed feelings about the Musical Fidelity A100 I owned briefly, before it self-destructed. It was a choice between it and a NAIT2. I thought the NAIT looked too quirky, and Class A must be better than Class B, right? I now know better almost 20 years later.

James

The ONE item I should never have bought was a 1985 vintage pair of Black-ash 'briks..

In 1985, Jimmy Hughes wanted to do an appreciation of 'briks and bought a pair of DMS's from Linn. he gave warnings but I bought them anyway (the article never got written as this pair sounded so bad). They screeched and quacked and I bought them anyway. I kept them for six months and passed them on, replacing them with NS1000m's, which I didn't care for overmuch either...

Phillips CD100 - the original CD back in nineteen eighty erm, that year CD was released. Almost put me off CD for life.
Celestion SL600 - dull and expensive as I then bought a couple of different amps trying to get the speakers to not sound dull distant and lifeless, nothing worked.
VTL 50 valve amp -used with the above. Absolute disaster.

LP12 with a Basik arm - should have bitten the Ittok bullet. The LP12 was little better than a Rega 3 at that stage until the Ittok was added imo.

Philips CD player - plastic, nasty unit. Might be the 150 by the sound of the last two posts. But you never see it now, it wouldn't have lasted.
Mission DAD CD player - couldn't listen for long periods.

Arcam DAB tuner - lasted about 20mins.

Primare 30 - zzzzzzzzz.

Otherwise most things have been OK.

Steve

Pioneer A400 discrete. The press at the time were drooling over it, I listened and was impressed, but in use it was always a bit boring. Replaced it with a Quad 33/303 then a 44/405. Sold it for half what I paid, and have been a devotee of quality second hand stuff ever since. Have since been burned with a few dodgy speaker buys...

Dare I say it?...

1. Avondale SPX1.
Good sound from my NAC32.5 but there was an overlay of insistent buzzing.

2. Benchmark DAC1.
Great detail but lacks body.

1. TDL Studio 1 speakers: wobbly TL bass and sibilant metal dome tweeter.
2. dpa gear: great sounding but didnt seem to last more than 5 minutes before going wrong.
3. REL stadium subwoofer. Never managed to get the damn thing integrated properly.

Thats all really.

advertisement

Back