1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Kit you regretted buying

Discussion in 'audio' started by James, Feb 9, 2008.

1. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Mission PCM7000 - imported blind from overseas and almost put me off CDs for life.

Linn Nexus - could never figure out why I didn't get rhythm & timing, even with an LP12 up front.

McLaren A150b - the feeblest 75W integrated amp you couldn't give away. Easily trumped by a 5W triode.

James

2. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

My DAB tuner. It's not the tuner's fault, so no names, but the BBC.

Digital TV gets a higher quality digital radio signal.

3. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

wakonda

4. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

Having had good experiences with my original Cyrus 1, I 'upgraded' to a Cyrus 8. Having failed to learn my lesson, I added PSXR and eventually SmartPower. Sold the lot, got a Glasshoue TVC / WAD6550 combo and never looked back. I still like the Cyrus 1 though.

5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Too many to mention. Not that any were especially bad, just that I spent far too much time and money faffing about with sideways moves instead of sticking with (perfectly adequate) budget stuff or saving enough for 'the best''.

6. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Cyrus 2
    Cambridge 840A (got refund though)
    Celestion SL6 (what posessed me!)
    Goldring Eroica
    Icon MC34 A
    Monitor Audio R352
    Mission 737

7. Rana

Rana pfm Member

A HFN inspired system, bought without demo-ing...
    MF A1 + MF Solid Core Cable + MF MC2 speakers = sleep city

8. lindsayt

lindsayt pfm Member

Linn Karma MC cartridge.

Bought 2nd hand for £170. Best sounding cartridge I've had so far. Great tracking - tip was like new.

Only lasted 3 months before my toddler son broke the cantilever - presumably trying to copy daddy.

9. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I regret buying my 92.
    Not because it's a bad piece of kit (it's actually rather good!), but because I really wanted a Nait and I got one of them a few days after and so never used the 92.
    It's available in classifieds.

10. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Two people fondly remember the A1 on the other thread. Isn't that interesting? FWIW, I have mixed feelings about the Musical Fidelity A100 I owned briefly, before it self-destructed. It was a choice between it and a NAIT2. I thought the NAIT looked too quirky, and Class A must be better than Class B, right? I now know better almost 20 years later.

James

11. DSJR

DSJR Between us and them

The ONE item I should never have bought was a 1985 vintage pair of Black-ash 'briks..

In 1985, Jimmy Hughes wanted to do an appreciation of 'briks and bought a pair of DMS's from Linn. he gave warnings but I bought them anyway (the article never got written as this pair sounded so bad). They screeched and quacked and I bought them anyway. I kept them for six months and passed them on, replacing them with NS1000m's, which I didn't care for overmuch either...

12. aybee

aybee pfm Member

Phillips CD100 - the original CD back in nineteen eighty erm, that year CD was released. Almost put me off CD for life.
    Celestion SL600 - dull and expensive as I then bought a couple of different amps trying to get the speakers to not sound dull distant and lifeless, nothing worked.
    VTL 50 valve amp -used with the above. Absolute disaster.

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Ha ha - me too (almost). Phillips CD150. Converted me to vinyl. Never looked back!

Cheers,

Nic.

14. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Me too too!! :D

Mine was with the Philips CD104... had my Planar 3 at the time so sold both and got my first LP12 :)

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

LP12 with a Basik arm - should have bitten the Ittok bullet. The LP12 was little better than a Rega 3 at that stage until the Ittok was added imo.

Philips CD player - plastic, nasty unit. Might be the 150 by the sound of the last two posts. But you never see it now, it wouldn't have lasted.
    Mission DAD CD player - couldn't listen for long periods.

Arcam DAB tuner - lasted about 20mins.

Primare 30 - zzzzzzzzz.

Otherwise most things have been OK.

Steve

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Pioneer A400 discrete. The press at the time were drooling over it, I listened and was impressed, but in use it was always a bit boring. Replaced it with a Quad 33/303 then a 44/405. Sold it for half what I paid, and have been a devotee of quality second hand stuff ever since. Have since been burned with a few dodgy speaker buys...

17. tomek

tomek pfm Member

1. Kolektor
    2. Triangle Comet
    3. AMC tube amp

18. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

Dare I say it?...

1. Avondale SPX1.
    Good sound from my NAC32.5 but there was an overlay of insistent buzzing.

2. Benchmark DAC1.
    Great detail but lacks body.

19. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

1. TDL Studio 1 speakers: wobbly TL bass and sibilant metal dome tweeter.
    2. dpa gear: great sounding but didnt seem to last more than 5 minutes before going wrong.
    3. REL stadium subwoofer. Never managed to get the damn thing integrated properly.

Thats all really.

20. prowla

prowla pfm Member

My Meridian 207 converted me to vinyl in the 80s (I replaced it with an LP12)...