advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Picked up a copy of the Verve by Request reissue of Art Deco by Don Cherry. Put Side 1 on and thought my amp was dying - the drop in volume compared to the previous album I'd been playing was huge. Turned the volume up and the surface noise of the album increased accordingly. Took the album off and looked at the playing time - 31 minutes 56 seconds for 1 side! Side 2 is a more reasonable 23'48" and plays way louder. I'd like to hear an original from 1989 - maybe it was DMM'ed? Anyhow - this will be going back to the shop. Not recommended!

Was it originally recorded for / released on CD? I've got a CD version and it feels, in length and structure, like a CD era release.

Going forwards I imagine there will be some issues on issuing CD era recordings with their 55min+ running time on vinyl. EST got over this by leaving some racks off the vinyl editions. I suppose its either than or 3 sided 33s / 4 sided 45s

Was it originally recorded for / released on CD? I've got a CD version and it feels, in length and structure, like a CD era release.

Going forwards I imagine there will be some issues on issuing CD era recordings with their 55min+ running time on vinyl. EST got over this by leaving some racks off the vinyl editions. I suppose its either than or 3 sided 33s / 4 sided 45s
Apparently Recorded directly to two-track digital tape using a Sony 3402 (Dash) recorder, on August 27, 28, and 30, 1988 at Van Gelder Recording Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Released on CD & LP. Rather than cutting an LP to fit over 30 minutes of vinyl on one side it would make a lot more sense to drop a track or, as you say, make it a 2 LP release.

I relented and payed the £38 for Roy Haynes Out Of The Afternoon as its a great album and a tough find when it comes to an original. Chad needs every encouragement to do stuff off the beaten track like this. It is great, a superb cut with some real impact to the drums and nice presence everywhere. This Impulse range is sticking some great stuff out with this, Karma and the Alice. More please. Some Archie Shepp would be good, as would more Pharoah Sanders. I was disappointed that the Sun Ra went through the Third Man route, not Acoustic Sounds. Apparently doesn’t even come in a poly inner, let alone get a decent cover, so I’ll stick with my CD there.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was disappointed that the Sun Ra went through the Third Man route

It would have to be something very very very very special for me to invest in one of those Third Man reissues. How not to do it - garish yellow labels and all. Yuk! (Feeling smug as I have a Blue Thumb original of the Ra title).

Let’s hope Chad@AS digs Archie Shepp, although for some reason Shepp doesn’t seem to be as hip as Alice and Sanders at present. Too earth bound, perhaps. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: kjb
Oops, just bought a DOL reissue of Mingus Ah um, and wondered was there fluff on my needle, but no..........

Yick. Can you send it back? I’d be inclined to return it as counterfeit product, as it basically is. It would take quite a courageous seller to argue with you. I just bin any that come in as part of collections. Keep the inners, bin/recycle the rest. I refuse to sell them.

Picked this up from Elephant in Winchester earlier today, and typing as I listen:

really enjoying it, so recommend you folks check it out

It is indeed a classic of 60s British jazz. Have the master tapes been located at last? Has Jonny Trunk mentioned anything about how it was sourced? He usually does, and comes clean about needle-drops (for example the rare Kenny Graham plays Moondog and Michael Garrick’s very rare Moonscape - both of which are also essential).

It is indeed a classic of 60s British jazz. Have the master tapes been located at last? Has Jonny Trunk mentioned anything about how it was sourced? He usually does, and comes clean about needle-drops (for example the rare Kenny Graham plays Moondog and Michael Garrick’s very rare Moonscape - both of which are also essential).
Sadly, no info on the LP itself or his website on how this was sourced, however I would say it sounds very good indeed, to a level where i really don't care where it came from, although i would certainly be interested, if anyone knows.
I have one other trunk vinyl (the 'Hear Israel' one, with Herbie Hancock) but am now checking his website, as there are some interesting downloads available too

It would have to be something very very very very special for me to invest in one of those Third Man reissues. How not to do it - garish yellow labels and all. Yuk! (Feeling smug as I have a Blue Thumb original of the Ra title).

Let’s hope Chad@AS digs Archie Shepp, although for some reason Shepp doesn’t seem to be as hip as Alice and Sanders at present. Too earth bound, perhaps. Fingers crossed.
Label from Third Man "Space...."

I didn't realise the tapes were missing. Do you know what the source was for the Vocalion reissue a few years back?

I didn't realise the tapes were missing. Do you know what the source was for the Vocalion reissue a few years back?
According to Discogs:
180 gram reissue cut from the analogue tapes.

This reissue has been cut from tape by Noel Summerville at 3345 Mastering, London.

Recorded at Lansdowne Studios, London, February & March 1969.

℗ 1969 D'Silva Music & The Joe Harriott Estate.
© 2015 Vocalion Ltd.
Manufactured in France. Printed in the UK.

The Trunk LP does sound very good - maybe it was cut from the same source as the Vocalion release?

and the answer is.....apparently,
"Jonny used a high-res digital transfer from the original master tapes, as he was doing a £20 reissue rather than a £350 AAA replica from the original tapes I think that is the best we can expect, and it should sound very good."

They were assumed lost when Tony Higgins was compiling Impressed comp, but looks as though they have been discovered according to Mike’s post from Discogs (maybe TH found them). As I say, Jonny Trunk usually credits needle drops - both Moonscape and Plays Moondog sound excellent btw. No idea about the Vocalion.

Edit - this from Tony Higgins several years ago, and I remember another interview with TH where he mentions Universal/Polygram only allowing him to copy the tapes and not remove them from the vault. So maybe the digital source copy used by Trunk et al was originally made by Tony Higgins:

Tony on September 6, 2018 at 12:32 said:
Hi, I wrote the sleeve notes for both volumes of Impressed, and sourced the tapes we used for the mastering – the Lansdowne tapes were held in the old Polygram archive in Germany (incl Hum Dono which was always assumed lost). The Fontana/Argo/Decca material was from tapes held in the Decca archive in Hampstead. The image of Giles at the DJ controls was taken in the club in Old St called Cargo. I also worked on the BBC TV series Jazz Britannia, researching and writing the script. After Impressed 1 & 2, I suggested to Universal that they do a comprehensive reissue series of selected albums – Garrick, Westbrook, Tubby, Ardley, Rendell Carr, Harriott etc.
They initially agreed and so we set up the Impressed Re-pressed sub-label. The first batch was Amancio D’Silva ‘Integration; Garrick ‘Troppo’ etc, five in total. Sadly, Universal didn’t want to do LPs just CDs – and even then they skimped on the packaging and artwork. I had flagged about 30 titles to reissue. Come the second batch, they decided just to do five Tubby Hayes CDs and basically use the Japanese reissue CDs and sources, not go to the tapes – which existed. Again, cutting costs. There were no more in the series after that – there were personnel changes in Universal and the meagre support for the project that existed was gone
I did manage to compile a volume 3 but it was never released but did slip out on a blog. Roll on to about 2009, I contacted Universal with some other ideas: a comp of Japanese jazz and European jazz drawn from their own catalogue. They agreed, so I duly comped and wrote sleeve notes: 20,000 for ‘Jazz Japan’ & nearly 40,000 for ‘Jazz Europa’. I delivered the comps and notes. I then suggested why not have a trilogy? So, I convinced them to agree to a third, another British comp, ‘Jazz Britannia’. I selected the tracks and wrote 40,000 words of notes. I even got Don Rendell to write an intro piece.
Rolling on a decade, I did manage to complete a comp of Japanese jazz for BBE Records, ‘J Jazz: deep modern jazz from Japan 1969-1984’, released in Feb 2018. Vol 2 coming early in 2019. Plus a full album reissue programme: the BBE J Jazz Masterclass Series.
Finally, the fingerprints on the Impressed sleeves are mine.
@The_Jazz_Dad

That's Noel in the dead wax of a whole host of great 80s records. I didn't know he was still/recently active!
I’ve attended quite a few cuts in the past with Noel - top chap.

A quick heads up that Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity is being reissued on the Verve By Request series next month.

LTE2ODcuanBlZw.jpeg

I noticed Rough Trade currently have this reduced from £38.99 (*cough*) to a more reasonable £24.99

advertisement

Back