advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

I’ve just bought the Sonny Rollins Contemporary Records/Craft 3LP box Go West from Bezos World for £66. As it seems to be around double that price elsewhere I’ve either made a really stupid error or got a bargain.
I got mine when it came out - can't remember the price though :(. just checked the US site - $125.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Way out West on it's own comes out later this year - Craft. It was put back, now December I think.

Can anyone explain why Amazon pricing algorithms lead to such dramatic fluctuation for some records ( Blue Note) and none at all for others ( ECM)

I've had Gnu High in my wish list for a year or so and the price has remained constant to the penny. Blue Notes ( and Contemporary) fluctuate so much I now almost always wait for the price to drop before buying.

BTW ; Herbie Nichols Trios down to £25.99 today

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Amazon algorithm is a law unto itself. It has to have some basis in supply, demand, buy-in price, returns process etc, but no idea how and the results are at times clearly crazy in both directions. There is something really bizarre in how it ramps-up price on deleted CDs etc, stuff of no particular value or scarcity on the used market showing as being £100+ etc. My guess here is that Blue Note sells a lot more vinyl than ECM so economics of scale apply.

Reactions: kjb
I've just seen a list of ECMs 2024 audiophile reissues

Some things here than might tempt me - The Jewel in the Lotus especially and a copy of Bright Sized Life as I've only got it as an MP3 download.

Angel Song is a top 50 jazz record for me but not sure if it's worth a vinyl "upgrade" - the CD sounds pretty good already.

Presto have a decent special offer going on a lot of Candid releases, including some recent reissues. Too late (bastards) for me to get ‘Charles Mingus Presents’ and ‘That’s It’ as I paid full price for those last year, so I’ve gone for ‘Mingus’ (the one with the bowler - it’s his 102nd today, after all) and Max Roach’s Freedom Suite. £30 for the pair (£50+ at Bezos World), and a wee FLAC download to put me over the £35 mark to get free delivery.

I've just seen a list of ECMs 2024 audiophile reissues

Some things here than might tempt me - The Jewel in the Lotus especially and a copy of Bright Sized Life as I've only got it as an MP3 download.

Angel Song is a top 50 jazz record for me but not sure if it's worth a vinyl "upgrade" - the CD sounds pretty good already.
Only just saw this. Jewel In The Lotus reissue at last. Definite highlight of 2024!

Presto have a decent special offer going on a lot of Candid releases, including some recent reissues. Too late (bastards) for me to get ‘Charles Mingus Presents’ and ‘That’s It’ as I paid full price for those last year, so I’ve gone for ‘Mingus’ (the one with the bowler - it’s his 102nd today, after all) and Max Roach’s Freedom Suite. £30 for the pair (£50+ at Bezos World), and a wee FLAC download to put me over the £35 mark to get free delivery.
Right! I’m going back in again, this time for the Candid reissues of Otis Spann is the Blues and The World of Cecil Taylor at £15.81 each. For some unaccountable reason I’ve never owned a copy of Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, so the FLAC download at four quid puts me over the free delivery threshold.

For some unaccountable reason I’ve never owned a copy of Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, so the FLAC download at four quid puts me over the free delivery threshold.
My favourite late Mingus! I can't listen to Three or Four Shades (I tried again recently and failed) but Cumbia is great.

I feel duty bound to point out that there is, thankfully, no jazz fusion involved.

Or as Lou Donaldson (aged 97!) used to say at every gig "No fusion! No con-fusion!".

Only just saw this. Jewel In The Lotus reissue at last. Definite highlight of 2024!
I've never tried anything from this reissue series but my limited experience with other vinyl records of ECM over the last 10 years or so has been disappointing. I prefer the CD versions. In contrast, older ECM records were great and I always try to buy them if they are reasonably priced (e.g. $20 or so).

advertisement

Back