advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Craft Small Batch, One-Step pressing forthcoming…..

Last edited:
Craft & Verve having a busy November 10:
Craft Recordings10-Nov John ColtraneLush Life- Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP 0025218113113
Released in early 1961, Lush Life was assembled from previous unissued tracks from three recording sessions at Van Gelder Studio in Hackensack, New Jersey in 1957 and 1958.
John Coltrane’s Prestige years began when he joined the Miles Davis Quintet in 1955. During the next few years, when he was either with Davis or the Thelonious Monk Quartet, he functioned as both leader and sideman for this label. These recordings document the first part of his relatively short but highly influential time in the spotlight. Lush Life, a combination of standards and a blues, treated in the unique Coltrane manner - sound wedded to material in a completely personal way - contains three tracks without a piano. This is the first time he recorded in this manner, other than when Monk was 'strolling,' and it offers another aspect from, and of, Trane. "

Craft Recordings
10-Nov John ColtraneColtranethe - Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP 0025218102018
Released in 1957 on Prestige Records, this album was recorded by Rudy Van Gelder on May 31, 1957. It documents Coltrane's first session as a leader, and has been reissued at times under the title The First Trane!. The line-up includes Johnnie Splawn (trumpet), Sahib Shihab (baritone saxophone), Red Garland and Mal Waldron (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).

Craft Recordings
10-Nov The Miles Davis All StarsWalkin'- Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP 0025218621311
More than sixty years old, Walkin' still remains a crucial staging post in the history of jazz. Originally recorded in 1954 and initially issued on a couple of 10 albums, it features a mix of quintet and sextet material, recorded during his spell with Prestige Records and produced by Bob Weinstock. The various tracks were gathered together, along with a previously unreleased track, and issued as a 12 album in 1957. The end result is an important album in the development of bop music, a genre Miles Davis practically owned.

Craft Recordings
10-Nov Sun RaThe Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra- Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP, 180g 0088072419698
This special 60th Anniversary reissue of groundbreaking jazz artist Sun Ra’s iconic 1962 album The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra features all-analogue re-mastering by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI. The package includes Tom Wilson’s original liner notes, plus insightful new essays by jazz historian Ben Young, as well as by Irwin Chusid, who is also a journalist, radio personality, and author.

Craft Recordings
10-Nov Thelonious Monk TrioThelonious Monk the Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP 0888072351264
Thelonious Monk: the legendary jazz pianist and composer, considered one of the giants of American music. This is one of Monk’s pivotal recordings and is an essential addition to all jazz collections. The album features his earliest recordings for the Prestige label performed with Gerry Mapp and Art Blakey or Max Roach. The album contains the earliest recorded version of the jazz standards “Blue Monk” and “Bemsha Swing”.
Craft Recordings10-Nov Art FarmerPortrait Of Art Farmer 180g, black 1LP 0888072505018
Acoustic Sounds and Contemporary Records present this new reissue of iconic jazz trumpet player Art Farmer’s 1958 Contemporary Records debut, “Portrait of Art Farmer”. Featuring Hank Jones (piano), Addison Farmer (bass) and Roy Haynes (drums) with this edition pressed on 180-gram vinyl pressed at QRP with (AAA) lacquers cut from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman. It is presented in a tip-on jacket. "

Craft Recordings
10-Nov The Dave Brubeck QuartetJazz At Oberlin (Craft OJC Serise)180g LP, black vinyl, tip on jacket 0888072505070
Recorded at Oberlin College, Ohio in 1953, the Dave Brubeck Quartet’s “Jazz at Oberlin” album is one of the earliest works in the cool jazz genre. As well as Dave Brubeck (piano) the album also features Paul Desmond (alto sax), Lloyd Davis (drums) and Ron Cotty (bass). This new edition of the album is released as part of the Original Jazz Classics Series and is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI with all-analogue mastering from the original tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. It is presented in a Tip-On Jacket.

Craft Recordings
10-Nov

Wes Montgomery
The Complete Full House Recordings 2CD
3x 180g LP, black vinyl 0888072530287
Released to celebrate influential jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery’s centennial, The Complete Full House Recordings brings together all the recordings from the Full House sessions with two previously unreleased performances. Featuring Johnny Griffin, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb this collection has new liner notes by journalist Bill Milkowski and is pressed on 180-gram vinyl with mastering from the original analogue tapes by Joe Tarantino and lacquers cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.
Verve10-Nov THe RH Factor (Roy Hargrove)Hard Groove - Verve by Request2LP 0602455798589
With this reissue, Verve By Request celebrates the 20th anniversary of this landmark, genre-busting album, conceived, led, and produced by trumpeter Roy Hargrove, who considered it a tribute to his childhood love of hip hop. Featuring a 10-piece band, special guests include D’Angelo, Q-Tip, Erykah Badu and Anthony Hamilton. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.
Verve10-Nov John ScofieldA Go Go - Verve by Request1LP 0602455798855
Guitar legend John Scofield fuses with trip-hop jazz trio Medeski, Martin & Wood on this influential and much-loved album, originally released on New Year’s Day in 1998. The quartet gets funky on “Chank” and the organ-drenched “Hottentot” and nods to Scofield’s fusion roots on album highlight “Jeep on 35”. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.
Verve10-Nov Don CherryArt Deco - Verve by Request1LP 0602455861184
Don Cherry reunites with his bandmates Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins from the original Ornette Coleman Quartet along with ‘Teaxs tenor’ saxophonist James Clay on this stellar session from 1989. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.
Verve10-Nov Harold LandThe Peace-Maker - Verve by Request1LP 0602455861207
Released on the Cadet label in 1968, The Peace-Maker was the first of ten collaborations between the great tenor saxophonist Harold Land and vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson. With a group including pianist Joe Sample, the session results in a lively, lyrical, and high-quality session. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.

Craft & Verve having a busy November 10:
Craft Recordings10-NovJohn ColtraneLush Life- Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP0025218113113
Released in early 1961, Lush Life was assembled from previous unissued tracks from three recording sessions at Van Gelder Studio in Hackensack, New Jersey in 1957 and 1958.
John Coltrane’s Prestige years began when he joined the Miles Davis Quintet in 1955. During the next few years, when he was either with Davis or the Thelonious Monk Quartet, he functioned as both leader and sideman for this label. These recordings document the first part of his relatively short but highly influential time in the spotlight. Lush Life, a combination of standards and a blues, treated in the unique Coltrane manner - sound wedded to material in a completely personal way - contains three tracks without a piano. This is the first time he recorded in this manner, other than when Monk was 'strolling,' and it offers another aspect from, and of, Trane. "

Craft Recordings
10-NovJohn ColtraneColtranethe - Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP0025218102018
Released in 1957 on Prestige Records, this album was recorded by Rudy Van Gelder on May 31, 1957. It documents Coltrane's first session as a leader, and has been reissued at times under the title The First Trane!. The line-up includes Johnnie Splawn (trumpet), Sahib Shihab (baritone saxophone), Red Garland and Mal Waldron (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).

Craft Recordings
10-NovThe Miles Davis All StarsWalkin'- Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP0025218621311
More than sixty years old, Walkin' still remains a crucial staging post in the history of jazz. Originally recorded in 1954 and initially issued on a couple of 10 albums, it features a mix of quintet and sextet material, recorded during his spell with Prestige Records and produced by Bob Weinstock. The various tracks were gathered together, along with a previously unreleased track, and issued as a 12 album in 1957. The end result is an important album in the development of bop music, a genre Miles Davis practically owned.

Craft Recordings
10-NovSun RaThe Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra- Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP, 180g0088072419698
This special 60th Anniversary reissue of groundbreaking jazz artist Sun Ra’s iconic 1962 album The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra features all-analogue re-mastering by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI. The package includes Tom Wilson’s original liner notes, plus insightful new essays by jazz historian Ben Young, as well as by Irwin Chusid, who is also a journalist, radio personality, and author.

Craft Recordings
10-NovThelonious Monk TrioThelonious Monk the Craft Jazz Essentials indies campaignBlack LP0888072351264
Thelonious Monk: the legendary jazz pianist and composer, considered one of the giants of American music. This is one of Monk’s pivotal recordings and is an essential addition to all jazz collections. The album features his earliest recordings for the Prestige label performed with Gerry Mapp and Art Blakey or Max Roach. The album contains the earliest recorded version of the jazz standards “Blue Monk” and “Bemsha Swing”.
Craft Recordings10-NovArt FarmerPortrait Of Art Farmer180g, black 1LP0888072505018
Acoustic Sounds and Contemporary Records present this new reissue of iconic jazz trumpet player Art Farmer’s 1958 Contemporary Records debut, “Portrait of Art Farmer”. Featuring Hank Jones (piano), Addison Farmer (bass) and Roy Haynes (drums) with this edition pressed on 180-gram vinyl pressed at QRP with (AAA) lacquers cut from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman. It is presented in a tip-on jacket. "

Craft Recordings
10-NovThe Dave Brubeck QuartetJazz At Oberlin (Craft OJC Serise)180g LP, black vinyl, tip on jacket0888072505070
Recorded at Oberlin College, Ohio in 1953, the Dave Brubeck Quartet’s “Jazz at Oberlin” album is one of the earliest works in the cool jazz genre. As well as Dave Brubeck (piano) the album also features Paul Desmond (alto sax), Lloyd Davis (drums) and Ron Cotty (bass). This new edition of the album is released as part of the Original Jazz Classics Series and is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI with all-analogue mastering from the original tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. It is presented in a Tip-On Jacket.

Craft Recordings
10-Nov

Wes Montgomery
The Complete Full House Recordings2CD
3x 180g LP, black vinyl0888072530287
Released to celebrate influential jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery’s centennial, The Complete Full House Recordings brings together all the recordings from the Full House sessions with two previously unreleased performances. Featuring Johnny Griffin, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb this collection has new liner notes by journalist Bill Milkowski and is pressed on 180-gram vinyl with mastering from the original analogue tapes by Joe Tarantino and lacquers cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.
Verve10-NovTHe RH Factor (Roy Hargrove)Hard Groove - Verve by Request2LP0602455798589
With this reissue, Verve By Request celebrates the 20th anniversary of this landmark, genre-busting album, conceived, led, and produced by trumpeter Roy Hargrove, who considered it a tribute to his childhood love of hip hop. Featuring a 10-piece band, special guests include D’Angelo, Q-Tip, Erykah Badu and Anthony Hamilton. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.
Verve10-NovJohn ScofieldA Go Go - Verve by Request1LP0602455798855
Guitar legend John Scofield fuses with trip-hop jazz trio Medeski, Martin & Wood on this influential and much-loved album, originally released on New Year’s Day in 1998. The quartet gets funky on “Chank” and the organ-drenched “Hottentot” and nods to Scofield’s fusion roots on album highlight “Jeep on 35”. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.
Verve10-NovDon CherryArt Deco - Verve by Request1LP0602455861184
Don Cherry reunites with his bandmates Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins from the original Ornette Coleman Quartet along with ‘Teaxs tenor’ saxophonist James Clay on this stellar session from 1989. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.
Verve10-NovHarold LandThe Peace-Maker - Verve by Request1LP0602455861207
Released on the Cadet label in 1968, The Peace-Maker was the first of ten collaborations between the great tenor saxophonist Harold Land and vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson. With a group including pianist Joe Sample, the session results in a lively, lyrical, and high-quality session. This Verve By Request title is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Third Man in Detroit.

My local indie shop owner knows a sucker when he sees one and emailed the list of Craft Jazz Essentials releases from the above to me on Thursday, along with another batch coming out on the 24th Nov. I went for the Monk from this one and Steamin’ with the Miles Quintet from the second.

One thing I don’t get - I’ve already got the Sun Ra, with all the information listed here (Craft, 60th anniversary, Kevin Gray, 180gm, RTI etc. etc.) on the hype sticker - only I bought it twelve months ago. It this a repress?

Its a week for bad news driven by corporate greed:

first we hear about Bandcamp, and now i get message by my local bricks & mortar dealer that the label are not making the Nina Simone box widely available to retailers, but instead are expecting us to order from their online store - short term greed and is just biting the hand that feeds them

I shall not be making an order
Probably sensible. My experience of ordering from the Universal store(s) has been terrible. Pre-orders not shipped for weeks after the release date because they don't have stock, poor packaging, weeks of emails to get a return authorised, weeks of emails to get a refund for the return....

My local indie shop owner knows a sucker when he sees one and emailed the list of Craft Jazz Essentials releases from the above to me on Thursday, along with another batch coming out on the 24th Nov. I went for the Monk from this one and Steamin’ with the Miles Quintet from the second.

One thing I don’t get - I’ve already got the Sun Ra, with all the information listed here (Craft, 60th anniversary, Kevin Gray, 180gm, RTI etc. etc.) on the hype sticker - only I bought it twelve months ago. It this a repress?
I've got the Ra as well - I was quite surprised to see it on the list

Is it maybe a mono variant? That said I’ve got the last raft issue and can’t remember if that was mono or stereo! I think it’s stereo! They certainly did both for the Art Pepper.

Mike,
Amazon dropped it to just over £46 on 28th September when I ordered and I got it earlier on 5th October. It is a strange river.
It is now on Amazon at £49.

I eventually ordered mine on 18/10/23 and it arrived 23/10/23. Pretty quick for a US import.

Very good it is ,too. Glad I didn't equivocate for too long on this one!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
London Jazz Collector has now posted a review of Blackstone Legacy : https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...ackstone-legacy-1970-contemporary-craft-2023/
Less than enthusiastic, but then he never is of anything that strays engender a little into the ‘free jazz, Avant Garde’.

I rather liked his description of Bitches Brew which really tells you all you need to know about where he's coming from.

"Critics draw parallels with Miles Bitches Brew, also recorded in 1970, dominated by electric piano, accompanied by John McLaughlin’s frenetic tuneless guitar and Wayne Shorter’s grunts. "

I rather liked his description of Bitches Brew which really tells you all you need to know about where he's coming from.

"Critics draw parallels with Miles Bitches Brew, also recorded in 1970, dominated by electric piano, accompanied by John McLaughlin’s frenetic tuneless guitar and Wayne Shorter’s grunts. "
We await with interest his review of Borbetomagus.

Interesting what he says about the cut:

My only reservation is the Grundman cut is far too quiet, a trend on many modern reissues. Increasing the playback volume raises the noise floor, narrows the signal-to-noise ratio. In this case innocent playback at my usual volume setting resulted in a rather bland presentation, lacking in excitement, you would be forgiven for being unimpressed.

I agree too much modern vinyl is like this, especially in the world of rock/pop etc. It is often a real shock swapping from a recent album to a ‘70s or ‘80s classic as they just leap out of the speakers in comparison. This actually makes me pleased I held off on this one, my Japanese copy kicks! It has some remarkable presence and attack to it.

PS With rock/pop stuff I suspect a lot of it is length, they are just trying to cut too much on a side in this digital era. Typical length modern albums cut over four sides tend to fair much better as they can be cut so much louder. To my mind if an album plays for much more than 40 minutes it would benefit from being a double, or at least a three-side cut.

My copy of Blackstone Legacy arrived today from Amazon US. I was relieved to find both records were flat and silent throughout.

Some speculation on Discogs that the release may have been pulled for the time being due to the crediting error on the hype stickers. Kevin Gray is credited when it was Bernie Grundman who remastered this one.

Last edited:
The Wes Montgomery - Full House has been put back to 1st Dec I believe. Suits me, I've pre-ordered the CD so I can pay next month, this is a hectic few weeks coming up!

Been a good week for reissues- Blackstone legacy arrived earlier and today the 75 anniversary 45rpm of Mingus- Blues & Roots arrived

Starting to get into Blackstone - not an immediate hit for me but is definitely growing - it certainly has an element of Bitches Brew about it, but in comparison sounds less focused- but then it took me ages to get into Bitches Brew

The Mingus is just great - lovely quiet pressing, amazing playing, great tunes and lovely packaging - only thing I would say is that the stereo is very left<>right - not much going on between the speakers - this is probably one that would have been better in Mono. They are certainly not cheap (read: overpriced) so its not one where i would consider getting all the jazz-based reissues, but certainly worth it if you have any favourites coming up

i also got the Herbie Nichols tone-poet - and as usual if found the sound overly bright. I am going to do a full TT setup soon, hopefully over the weekend, to see if I can tame it a little, but its most obvious on T-P's - its just something i am a little sensitive to, i guess.....

Last edited:
Full House is an improvement on the old OJC release in terms of clarity, detail and dynamics. My 2xCD arrived yesterday, but I think the LP is delayed as above

Picked up a copy of the Verve by Request reissue of Art Deco by Don Cherry. Put Side 1 on and thought my amp was dying - the drop in volume compared to the previous album I'd been playing was huge. Turned the volume up and the surface noise of the album increased accordingly. Took the album off and looked at the playing time - 31 minutes 56 seconds for 1 side! Side 2 is a more reasonable 23'48" and plays way louder. I'd like to hear an original from 1989 - maybe it was DMM'ed? Anyhow - this will be going back to the shop. Not recommended!

Picked up a copy of the Verve by Request reissue of Art Deco by Don Cherry. Put Side 1 on and thought my amp was dying - the drop in volume compared to the previous album I'd been playing was huge. Turned the volume up and the surface noise of the album increased accordingly. Took the album off and looked at the playing time - 31 minutes 56 seconds for 1 side! Side 2 is a more reasonable 23'48" and plays way louder. I'd like to hear an original from 1989 - maybe it was DMM'ed? Anyhow - this will be going back to the shop. Not recommended!

By contrast, I just finished listening to Harold Land Quintet - The Peace-Maker which was released yesterday on the Verve By Request series and it sounds excellent. Nice quiet, flat pressing by Third Man Records.

By contrast, I just finished listening to Harold Land Quintet - The Peace-Maker which was released yesterday on the Verve By Request series and it sounds excellent. Nice quiet, flat pressing by Third Man Records.
I bought that as well - like you say great sounding, nice quiet pressing. The issue with Art Deco is squeezing over 30 minutes of music onto 1 side of vinyl - not recommended no matter how good the mastering/ pressing quality.

I bought that as well - like you say great sounding, nice quiet pressing. The issue with Art Deco is squeezing over 30 minutes of music onto 1 side of vinyl - not recommended no matter how good the mastering/ pressing quality.
Yes always going to be a problem.

I have a 50s Cadet pressing of An Hour With The Ramsey Lewis Trio. Sounds terrible!

advertisement

Back