advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

Posted in books thread.

My copy is on its way from Presto postage free:

Forgot to add - reverse of album covers also printed, a nice touch.

Last edited:
8xLP (!) reissue of A Love Supreme.

I’m amazed there is enough ALS to fill that much vinyl. From memory there is ALS, a couple of session takes, and a couple of live versions. What else is there?

That's an absurd release, pointless except for academics. ALS was put together as a suite by Trane. I just don't see the point of listening to the alternate or breakdown takes. Live performances are another matter. The sextet tracks may be interesting.

For the asking price, I'd rather buy an original press of ALS.

Nowadays I have little time or money for such releases - I hardly ever listen to all the extra stuff. I am only interested in the final album (with a few exceptions e.g. Miles electric stuff where different bits were spliced together by the producer to make the final product).

That's an absurd release, pointless except for academics. ALS was put together as a suite by Trane. I just don't see the point of listening to the alternate or breakdown takes. Live performances are another matter. The sextet tracks may be interesting.

For the asking price, I'd rather buy an original press of ALS.

Nowadays I have little time or money for such releases - I hardly ever listen to all the extra stuff. I am only interested in the final album (with a few exceptions e.g. Miles electric stuff where different bits were spliced together by the producer to make the final product).
Yep the Miles stuff really is the exception - In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson, On the Corner - the box sets are as essential as the original releases IMO. Can't think of anything else in any genre where that's the case.

I just bought Joe Henderson - Power To The People which has just been reissued for the first time in decades by Craft as part of the Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf Series. Can recommend but not at the Amazon LOL price that I linked to. I paid considerably less at my local record shop. It's a really great sounding recording and the music hits the spot for me. Pitchfork Review here.

ODUtMTMxMC5qcGVn.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Great record and I was really excited when I heard about the repress. But I’ve resolved not to spend £35+ on bog-standard reissues. Universal in particular are taking the piss.

I wonder if that will impact the used price of Pablo, which is consistently rock bottom IME. They tend to be an easy find and can still be seen lurking in £1 bins with a little luck. This may well point a spotlight on them. I find them a mixed bag, usually well post-artist prime, but there are certainly some good ones. I like the Joe Pass Virtuoso series, I’ve got a couple, and Coltrane’s Afro Blue is obviously essential too (I actually found a cheap copy of the Alto Analogue audiophile issue there!). I’ve got a few more, including the Fitzgerald/Pass Take Love Easy he‘s doing, and also a few Peterson, Basie and Ellington on early Japanese CD, mostly plucked from £1 bins. I’ve certainly got the Farmers Market one on a very nice early Japanese CD.

I’ve just bought the Sonny Rollins Contemporary Records/Craft 3LP box Go West from Bezos World for £66. As it seems to be around double that price elsewhere I’ve either made a really stupid error or got a bargain.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve just bought the Sonny Rollins Contemporary Records/Craft 3LP box Go West from Bezos World for £66. As it seems to be around double that price elsewhere I’ve either made a really stupid error or got a bargain.
Good spot!

Cheapest US Discogs sellers (with no shipping to UK obviously) are offering it for $55. Amazon US is $82. Which does rather beg the question why Rough Trade are charging £160...

advertisement

Back