advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

poco a poco

I'm Jim
The purpose of this new thread is to cover the growing number of individual and short runs of Jazz reissues or earlier non contemporary jazz that did not receive a release at the time of recording and are not covered already by a dedicated thread such as The Blue Note Tone Poets and Classic Series or the Verve Series etc.

Please post info of any Jazz of this type that you think might be of interest to other Jazz lovers here.

The recent releases on Candid are very interesting.

The reissues from the back catalogue contain some gems and the new material looks promising as well

New Releases – Candid Records

Terri Lynn Carrington's New Standards is already in my wish list - great players and a great concept - writing and recording a Real Book made up solely of compositions by women.

There's a sample here:

Welcome | terri-lyne (terrilynecarrington.com)

Last edited:
The recent releases on Candid are very interesting.

The reissues from the back catalogue contain some gems and the new material looks promising as well

New Releases – Candid Records

Terri Lynn Carrington's New Standards is already in my wish list - great players and a great concept - writing and recording a Real Book made up solely of compositions by women.

There's a sample here:

Welcome | terri-lyne (terrilynecarrington.com)
These Candid releases look very good. They are clear that they are cut directly from the analogue master tapes by Bernie Grundman and the prices on Amazon seem pretty good. The downside is there are too many good releases and reissues coming out now and it’s difficult to prioritise. Plus I don’t really have any space left.

Still I am definitely in for at least both the Booker Little and the Cecil Taylor. Luckily I have good of some of the others.

These Candid releases look very good. They are clear that they are cut directly from the analogue master tapes by Bernie Grundman and the prices on Amazon seem pretty good. The downside is there are too many good releases and reissues coming out now and it’s difficult to prioritise. Plus I don’t really have any space left.

Still I am definitely in for at least both the Booker Little and the Cecil Taylor. Luckily I have good of some of the others.

The Max Roach "We Insist" was very good. Like you, I may go for the Little and Taylor records but am also tempted by the Booker Ervin.

I think getting rid of one of the weaker gatefold TPs will make room for at least 3 of the Candids.:D

Did anyone here get the remaster of "Charles Mingus present Charles Mingus"? I've an old copy from Candid / Barnaby. I hadn't realised Andy Williams bought Candid and released the records under the Barnaby imprint. It's always been one of my favourite Mingus's but I don't think I need two copies unless it's a significantly improvement.

Andy Williams bought the label and named it after his dog Mr Barnaby. LJC wonders who was the better singer of the two https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/record-labels-guide/candid-records/ :)
Alan Bates - Black Lion Records then bought it from Williams. None of these early reissues on either label are thought to be from the Master Tapes, some are thought to be needle drops and most are very light weight some apparently as low as 109g. I have the Bernie Grundman Candid 180g reissue (I had forgot it was part of this series) and it is very good and better than the one on Pure Pleasure.

I hope they release the full Cecil Taylor album with Archie Shepp.

Andy Williams bought the label and named it after his dog Mr Barnaby. LJC wonders who was the better singer of the two https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/record-labels-guide/candid-records/ :)
Alan Bates - Black Lion Records then bought it from Williams. None of these early reissues on either label are thought to be from the Master Tapes, some are thought to be needle drops and most are very light weight some apparently as low as 109g. I have the Bernie Grundman Candid 180g reissue (I had forgot it was part of this series) and it is very good and better than the one on Pure Pleasure.

I hope they release the full Cecil Taylor album with Archie Shepp.

Mines a 1977 Barnaby / Candid issue via GRT/Janus with a heavy tip on sleeve and an average weight press for the time and the same "unusual" label artwork as the Don Ellis record in the LJC article.

At least at that age I can be sure it's not a digital transfer digital posing as tape! I'm almost tempted to get the new version just to compare.... almost

Looking forward to see what BG makes of mastering these, typically Cecil Taylor, Mingus and Booker Ervin. There were some great titles on Candid, but every reissue I’ve ever heard, including Barnaby, have been poor in one respect or another. Hit and miss doesn’t describe my experience - no hits. Originals I’ve heard, unfortunately not owned, have sounded excellent.

Looking forward to see what BG makes of mastering these, typically Cecil Taylor, Mingus and Booker Ervin. There were some great titles on Candid, but every reissue I’ve ever heard, including Barnaby, have been poor in one respect or another. Hit and miss doesn’t describe my experience - no hits. Originals I’ve heard, unfortunately not owned, have sounded excellent.
I was worried at first as European releases were first stated as going to be pressed in the Czech Republic and that would have meant CZ and there has been complaints in the past, not only about their pressing quality, but they also used their own and not the US mastering. In comparison to US pressings they sounded much worst. It seems now they will be pressed in the US as listed on Amazon UK and according to Hoffman this will now be at RTI.

They do look interesting, I’ll likely take a punt on the Ervin and Taylor (I’ve got the Mingus as a 70s Japanese pressing). I’ve got the RSD Roach which is great.

I think I have decent copies of most of the titles I'm interested in bit will probably grab the Booker Ervin (assuming they don't adopt daft pricing for the UK!)

But should this be on the Thread For New Jazz? Maybe we need a Classic Jazz Reissues thread :)

I’ll link to these as the Amazon preorder prices seem really good and I may as well get some monetisation to help pay for mine!

Mingus Presents Mingus

World Of Cecil Taylor

Booker Ervin That’s It!

Clicking any and ordering anything helps!

PS I’ve gone for all three as looking at Discogs I’ve only got the Mingus on an admittedly nice Japanese CD, not vinyl. Its Mingus, it needs to be a record.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ll start this thread off with these interesting new issues of ORT recordings from 1968 - 71 from Wallen Bink
https://wallenbink.com/
“Working with the best available mastering sources – mastering all analogue where possible – with support from Grammy award winning mastering engineers at Abbey Road Studios, we strive to meet the highest standards in audio quality.”

These Eric Kleinschuster recordings are all double LP’s and feature sessions with leading American Jazz musicians.
WB0014 Clifford Jordan and Charles Tolliver. https://wallenbink.com/index.php/sh...recordings/erich-kleinschuster-6tet-orf-wb014

WB0015 Joe Henderson https://wallenbink.com/index.php/sh...recordings/erich-kleinschuster-6tet-orf-wb015

WB0016 Slide Hampton and Joe Farmer https://wallenbink.com/index.php/sh...recordings/erich-kleinschuster-6tet-orf-wb016

I have steamed some of each and they sound good both musically and for sound quality. Limited editions, but available from other stores as well as direct from Wallen Bink.

<moderating>

I’ve edited this new thread and moved the content relating to the Candid stuff etc into it. I had to do a bit of creative stuff with time stamps due to the limited scope of the forum software so it appears to have been created in the past, but one has to work with the tools one has to hand!

Music on Vinyl release a mixed bag of titles and genre, including some jazz.

The label is US and you can subscribe to email alerts - releases seem freely available via Amazon UK even as very limited releases. The 2? 3? 4? that I have are excellent.

MOV is based in the Netherlands not the US

MOV & RI We are the only pressing plant in the world which has all it takes to manufacture vinyl under one roof. The factory building is 6500 m2 and houses our own recording studio and cutting and mastering rooms, galvanics, DMM production, sleeve folding and gluing machines, vinyl pressing, packaging and a print shop: one address for your complete high-end vinyl production.
Music on Vinyl & Record Industry is situated in the Waarderpolder, an industrial area in Haarlem, very near to Amsterdam and Schiphol Airport.

In 1968 the pressing plant opened its own cutting room and in 1969 CBS (Columbia) took over full ownership.
In the seventies, demand for vinyl grew rapidly and CBS pressed more than 50 million records every year. Over 35 million copies of Michael Jackson's album "Thriller" were pressed in Haarlem in the eighties. The plant's main focus was pressing the CBS catalogue. CBS merged with Sony Music in 1988, and the plant became Sony's main vinyl production facility for Europe.
In June 1998 Ton and Mieke Vermeulen took over the plant and re-named it Record Industry.

Please post info of any Jazz of this type that you think might be of interest to other Jazz lovers here.

Is this a vinyl only thread, or does it cover all formats? There are some brilliant digital only jazz reissues out at present. If it is vinyl only, could that be included in the thread title?

Is this a vinyl only thread, or does it cover all formats? There are some brilliant digital only jazz reissues out at present. If it is vinyl only, could that be included in the thread title?
Graham, although I mainly prefer, play and post about vinyl it was not my my intention to exclude any format. By leaving it open it does leave the opportunity for those who only use or prefer other formats to post about quality reissues of these. Hopefully everyone will avoid posting about poor quality copyright avoidance labels here.

advertisement

Back