advertisement

I need a new mattress.

That's useful to know about a current cheap memory foam mattress sagging. Hospitals use memory foam and the memory foam mattress I am looking to change has lasted 20 years so rapid sagging isn't inherent to all memory foam mattresses but it does seem to be a common complaint these days. Curiously even with some sag my current deep heavy memory foam mattress still seems to do what is required for my back in the way no conventional or light memory foam mattress ever has.
Interesting
The Emma is a Best Buy on the latest Which mag
On your experience it isn't worth the bother

Our back-in-action mirrorform mattress will be 10 years old in a few weeks. There is no sign of sag and still looks like new. We also got it VAT free. These mattresses are not cheap but they do the job and last unlike our previous memory foam and the bed with 1200 pocket springs - they broke!

Cheers,

DV

Interesting
The Emma is a Best Buy on the latest Which mag
On your experience it isn't worth the bother
I think you might have mixed up your quotes. It is the OP that has reported a negative experience with Emma memory foam mattresses not me. My experience with an old Tempur memory foam mattress has been positive. It is perhaps interesting that Tempur seem to want to distance themselves from the label memory foam and refer to memory foam sagging in their marketing bumpf. The advertised price of a Emma double is £650 whereas the Tempur equivalent is £2400 which is perhaps relevant.

I would like to find a Tempur equivalent for my back for half price the price of the Tempur and twice the price of the Emma. 10 years sag free. Does it exist?

well, emma came and emma went. returned this morning. it was great at first, but began to develop a softness, a sag that eventually became uncomfortable. the foam seemed to gradually lose any recovery properties it had. a shame really as it started out so well.

Emma came here, too. By the time she started sagging, it was too late to return her. Life, eh! So, after 5 months, it looks as though it's until death us do part. Watch out for the 101 day sag.

Recently changed from Tempur to Simba, had it about a month we definitely prefer the Simba. They do smell of the manufacturing process for a few days, other than that no issues.

18 months on; how are your mattress experiences going. I think Emma's got terminal sag. She's starting to hurt my back.
We're not even a £1 per night write down yet.

IKEA for value and/or you like a new mattress every few years.
Vi-Spring if you can afford it and want to keep a mattress for 10+ years. (note: bloody heavy to turn !)

Hypnos mattress are superb we got one a few month ago. Premier Inn use them which speaks volumes. 10 out of 10 from me.

Apologies to all, I completely forgot about this thread. We finally settled on an iGel mattress. It's very comfortable though you do tend to sink into it slightly which I didn't like at first. It's very similar to the Hypnos mattress but after staying at a Premier Inn late last year I can say that I do prefer the iGel.

Look at the John Ryan by Desigh website. It gives a lot of help in choosing a mattress. Also their telephone salesmen are very good. No hard sell, just advice. The fellow I spoke to suggested ways of making my Hypnos bed more comfortable rather than buying one of theirs.

I've had a John Ryan mattress for 6 years and whilst not cheap it is very comfortable and well made. By far the best I've ever had.

Agreed on the sales help too.

We had a Tempur mattress for some years. My wife always found it too hot. We moved to Hypnos, but it started sagging within a year. The John Ryan is very good.

Had an Emma mattress, ended up with sore back and neck while using it, so availed of the returns policy - lady on phone informed me that they couldn't arrange collection from NI, so just refunded me and allowed me to keep the mattress! Which I promptly sold and got a Tempur one instead, which is much better.

I would NOT recommend a John Ryan by Design.

We purchased their 'Origin Pocket Reflex 1000' a couple of years ago.

Good for perhaps 6 months, then started sagging badly, creating two body-sized pits (two young adults, 70Kg and 58Kg)

We luckily sold it to someone who wanted it for occasional usage in the guestroom - good enough for that I suppose.

Worst £600 we've ever spent.

About a year ago I needed a new mattress.

There's no way to test before you buy IMO. You need a night at least to tell, I know that some companies offer trial periods but I bet they argue about returns and even if they don't, what a faff to sort it out!

The first decision I had to make was whether to get foam or a traditional mattress. I bought a foam mattress topper and after a week I saw that it was too hot. It was a waste of money in a way, but at least it taught me that foam is not for me.

Next I decided that the only rational thing to do was to let Which? decide, I mean at least there's a modicum of objectivity, so I found their most recommended traditional mattress and looked on line for suppliers.

And from then on things simplified, because there were companies who would deliver quickly, install in the room and take the old mattress away. They were really a pleasure to deal with and good value for money to boot.

That was a year ago and I have no regrets.

In fact, when you get a new mattress you realise how saggy your old one has become. The process of online purchase was so easy and pleasant that I resolved to repeat the procedure every 7 years, whether I felt any pains or discomfort or not.

We've had both sprung and foam over the last few years with little joy.

The first wave of cheap memory foam were great for a few months then began to loose their memory. More hot hammock than support

Went back to a Hypnos, they're local so we went to the factory and got to try them all. Not quiet cost no object but we were ready to spend what was required. The one that felt best was about £1k, thought we'd done well as some were a good deal more expensive. 18 months and it was sagging to the point it was giving my wife back problems and it was really uncomfortable. Manufacturers warranty was a waste of time. They use a string test that is designed to absolve them of any responsibility.

After that debacle it was Simba that looked to be getting consistently good reviews. Bought their top at the time £2k model with an extra sprung topper. I never found it very comfortable, Mrs was happy enough but it also began to sag after 18 months or so. Turned out all the springs in the topper had crushed and were no longer supportive. They declined the warranty initially but eventually gave in. When they did they were good about it. They replaced with their current less expensive model and refunded the difference.

The latest Simba is better, we've had it a few months now and I've found it comfortable. It does seem to be giving more now than it did when it arrived, I can see it also sagging somewhat in time. Neither of us are big. I really don't think the foam mattresses are built to last. Not very environmentally friendly...

Think we'll try a sprung mattress again if and when the Simba sags beyond comfortable. Finding the right one will be a minefield

advertisement

Back