advertisement

I need a new mattress.

The Savoir is now about 12 years old and perfect. One of the best things I’ve ever bought, a lifetime investment.

We bought an insanely expensive Vi-Spring.
Had it around 6 months now and it is wonderful

Which model? They seem to range from not very cheap to almost crazy price (I say almost as I’ve checked out Savoir)

did you get soft, medium or firm?

We bought a highly rated foam hybrid mattress 3 years ago and it Now sags. I agree with the earlier post that trying them out is hopeless - if they start to sag after a year or two....

I have osteoarthritis in the spine so a good mattress is paramount to me still being able function. I bought an Eve last year and it's really very good. Onething to consider no matter the cost, different mattresses suit different sleeping styles . Some are specifically made for front and back sleepers others are much better if you sleep on your side. That is key when choosing one, check out if they are appropriate for your sleeping style first. The one i was considering first and foremos,t had brilliant reviews and then I checked out Youtube and a couple of people who know their onions agreed however, only if you are a back or front sleeper, as a side sleeper there were better options for me.

The latest Simba is better, we've had it a few months now and I've found it comfortable. It does seem to be giving more now than it did when it arrived, I can see it also sagging somewhat in time. Neither of us are big. I really don't think the foam mattresses are built to last. Not very environmentally friendly...
The Tempur foam mattress I still haven't replaced lasted over 20 years before starting to sag a modest but noticeable amount. Even with sag my back is still OK unlike with traditional mattresses. Unsurprisingly when I rang for a direct replacement they no longer make the model. This thread and browsing the web strongly suggests cheap memory foam mattresses are likely to sag fairly quickly but this isn't necessarily the case for expensive ones. Whether Tempur mattresses are built today to the same standard they were in the 90s I don't know. It isn't clear to me how best to replace the mattress which makes threads like this useful.

Looks fantastic but can't believe a mattress is worth that much?

Depends how you define ‘worth’. Looking on their website, a No 4 King Size mattress is £4,750. You spend about a quarter to a third of your life in bed. If that gives you a fabulously comfortable sleep every night for 20+ years, I’d say it’s worth every penny and more. Look at how much people spend on cars, holidays (well, used to), even HiFi! You could buy a Naim Supercap instead, I know which one is ‘worth’ it!

Appreciate that and in truth thought they were 2-3x that price from the website I looked at but my lifestyle up until Pandemic was 200 days p.a. away on business in hotels so I don't really miss my own bed. Have stayed at the Savoy a few times tho so I get the experience... enjoy

Used to do similar (well, maybe 100 nights away). In fairness, that’s the starting point but wouldn’t hesitate if I was in the market for V Spring etc. For me, it was a case of priorities. I had neurosurgery on my spinal cord 17 years ago. I just couldn’t get a good sleep until I discovered a Savoir Bed at a hotel I once stayed.

Which model? They seem to range from not very cheap to almost crazy price (I say almost as I’ve checked out Savoir)

did you get soft, medium or firm?

We bought a highly rated foam hybrid mattress 3 years ago and it Now sags. I agree with the earlier post that trying them out is hopeless - if they start to sag after a year or two....
Our existing Vi-Spring was around 20 years old and I was still happy with it, but the boss has back problems and I thought it could help.

We tried out the whole range in the shop, And So to Bed, I was happy with most of them. The boss was set on the Tiara Superb and it has proved to be a good fix for her back.
Thought we would stay with Firm but were persuaded to medium, especially as there was a 90 day return if not happy.
We both found the most expensive model was not as comfortable, just as well. The 3 or 4 below that I felt were much the same in feel in the shop

I have a Millbrooks mattress and divan, which are 24 years old, and while the mattress could probably do with being replaced, it's held up pretty well.

IIRC (and that's a big if), it was crica. £700-800 back in the day?

Last edited:
I have a Millbrooks mattress and divan, which are 24 years old, and while it could probably do with being replaced, it's held up pretty well.

IIRC (and that's a big if), it was crica. £700/800 back in that day?
We have a Millbrook bed (medium springs); fantastic beds i prefer these pocket springs, from memory there are 2000 pocket spring in the mattress. We should turn it more often than we do.

Depends how you define ‘worth’. Looking on their website, a No 4 King Size mattress is £4,750. You spend about a quarter to a third of your life in bed. If that gives you a fabulously comfortable sleep every night for 20+ years, I’d say it’s worth every penny and more. Look at how much people spend on cars, holidays (well, used to), even HiFi! You could buy a Naim Supercap instead, I know which one is ‘worth’ it!
Always have a good quality bed and a good quality pair of boots because you are normally in one or the other.

. We should turn it more often than we do.

Yes this is important and it’s worth checking the weight of the mattress before you buy. Heavier mattresses are much harder to flip and turn. And I don’t think there’s necessarily a connection between weight and durability or quality.

a friend of mine bought a very expensive mattress from some company on Wigmore Street who make beds for The Dorchester’s more exclusive suites. It’s so heavy they have to get a couple of workmen in to turn it. For me that would be a deal breaker!

Yes this is important and it’s worth checking the weight of the mattress before you buy. Heavier mattresses are much harder to flip and turn. And I don’t think there’s necessarily a connection between weight and durability or quality.

a friend of mine bought a very expensive mattress from some company on Wigmore Street who make beds for The Dorchester’s more exclusive suites. It’s so heavy they have to get a couple of workmen in to turn it. For me that would be a deal breaker!

I can’t remember what mattresses we have but they are heavy, very heavy. It’s a struggle turning them. Certainly not a one person job. I don’t doubt though the durability and/or quality. Very comfortable.

As an aside I did years ago try memory form and absolutely hated it.

yes we specifically bought a mattress for a relative that specified you did not have to turn over , just turn from top to bottom

We have Dunlopillo mattresses on our beds ( two single electric adjustable beds linked together ). The advantage is my wife likes a firmer mattress and I have a medium. You turn them end for end. I can just manage to turn the single size on my own couldn't do anything larger. My wife's back prevents her helping. At least it is only twice a year we need to turn them.

The impossible test for 99% of us is to have different beds to sleep in before deciding which one to buy.
Bit like testing out hifi for a few weeks before purchase

advertisement

Back