advertisement

I need a new mattress.

So does it come boxed despite being a sprung mattress?

You can get some sprung mattresses packed like that, a couple of the ikea ones are flat packed, it's the really thick pocket spring jobs that you won't get in a box.

They squash them flat and then vacuum pack them like the foam ones, you just cut the bag and it rolls out and re-inflates itself.

I've just got a Casper. Like it so far, but a bit concerned re heat and longevity. My ex and I tried an Eve in the early days when they were one of the only players in the '100 day trial' market. Didn't like it, or the fact it was obviously secondhand... :(

We then bought an expensive sprung mattress (can't remember what) which had a built-in topper, big mistake as could not be turned, only rotated. That went in the spare room and we eventually settled on a John Ryan Fusion latex mattress which was ace. Still is, and I'd have another if the Casper doesn't work out. It was exceptionally comfy and relatively cool. For any hot sleepers, I recommend a wool duvet..excellent at regulating temps.

A lot of useful info there fellas, thanks. I’ve had another look at the Simba mattress but I’m still concerned about the foam. The John Ryan latex mattress sounds interesting.

Linnfo, all the best and good luck with your new venture.

I don't think I can afford a Savoir but that Oxford mattress looks good and won't break the bank. Euan, do you find your Oxford 9000 preferable to your old Hypnos?

Yes I do but with caveats.

It is a warm bed for sure. I have spent all of the summer/autumn under a bed sheet. No need for a duvet. Mrs on the other hand still has the duvet on her side. Secondly, it does require a bit of turning for the first year.

We bought the wool mattress topper and wool pillows to go with it.

Euan

Interested to know why you say this. We bought one and have no complaints.

The king size pocket sprung mattress we bought from them started sagging pretty severely around the 5-month mark (so just after the warranty period). The sagging was so severe after 1 year that it was uncomfortable for me to get out of bed or move around.

For context, both my partner are I in our 30s, are not overweight, have no past history of back pain. Currently we are using a humble Ikea pocket sprung set up composed of two single mattresses in a large double sized frame. 6 months in, we have noticed no sagging, and the mattresses are just are responsive and comfortable as when we bought them.

Last edited:
My new oak bedframe & Hypnos mattress have just been delivered. Sadly for the chaps from John Lewis I live on the 4th floor & there is no lift*...... , there was much grunting & groaning. Very efficient, took the old mattress & divan away & bolted the new frame together in short time.

*I did warn them in advance, and tipped them a tenner each

Emma King size here, and no issue - very good night's sleep. They often have offers of £200 or so discount, so root around on your favourite search engine. Don't go for the pillows though, unless you have effing large pillowcases. I had to send those back, but the mattress is a keeper.

The ViSpring ones are superb, but pricey. You can get a good Hypnos through the Premier Inn website, although it's a special build for them. I've always slept well at Premier Inn, but those mattresses have to survive a daily bonking, so they should last

For any hot sleepers, I recommend a wool duvet..excellent at regulating temps.

Agree to a point, I have a merino wool duvet which is excellent but it's still warm. Granted I do sleep warm and my place holds heat like nobodies business but I only had a bed sheet up until recently and even with my bedroom window wide open all night I am still kicking off the duvet. It will be deepest winter before I need the duvet proper.

Best sleep related item I've ever spent money on is a buckwheat husk filled pillow, it's amazing.

I had spinal surgery a couple of years ago and it's left me with a bad back. The surgeon did warn me that this might happen and as it's much the lesser of two evils I'm not complaining. The pain in my back is getting worse but I've noticed it eases off as the day goes on so I'm wondering if my old orthopaedic mattress is past its sell by date. There is a bewildering selection of mattresses out there but I wondered whether the new breed of light foam mattresses were worth a shot. Of those I've looked at the Emma mattress sticks out. Do any of you have experience of this mattress or similar or would a more traditional mattress still be the way to go?
As someone that has had a poor back since my teens I was unaware of the importance of mattresses until a stay in hospital where I discovered to my surprise it was possible to lie on my back without it locking out. What works for my back is deep foam mattresses that one sinks into and which provide a relatively uniform support for the back. They can be warm but for me this is relatively unimportant compared to the ease they bring for my back. What is required for your back may of course be different.

I have slept on some light memory foam mattresses and they were better than conventional mattresses but back aches in the morning progressively returned. The current mattress is an old Tempur which needs replacing. I would like to replace it with the same but they are expensive and there are a few poor reviews around claiming sagging after a short period of use hence my interest in your thread.

Re heat, foam is warmer than springs, my Back in Action bed came with a summer and winter zip off topper which does seem to work, and they do 100 days return too.

I just bought the Tuft and Needle Mint and my GF and I, similar weights to you and yours, have enjoyed it a lot so far. The Mint has something like 30% or more cooling beads than the original Tuft and Needle does. However, its only been a week so I can't be the one that gives you a long term review on it. So thats a good kind of lest costly bed. But I've heard everybody on here and one person I know in real life speak wonders of the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora.

It doesn't seem to have come up much in this thread, but the Which? report on mattresses includes reference to the sleeper's weight and whether they sleep on their back, front or side. As an overweight side sleeper I noticed that quite a few weren't really suitable for me. :oops:

well, emma came and emma went. returned this morning. it was great at first, but began to develop a softness, a sag that eventually became uncomfortable. the foam seemed to gradually lose any recovery properties it had. a shame really as it started out so well. i'm having an otty delivered in a couple of days. it's a hybrid and includes springs. if that has to be returned i think i'll go back to trad. pocket sprung and a local shop to try first.

well, emma came and emma went. returned this morning. it was great at first, but began to develop a softness, a sag that eventually became uncomfortable. the foam seemed to gradually lose any recovery properties it had. a shame really as it started out so well.

That's useful to know about a current cheap memory foam mattress sagging. Hospitals use memory foam and the memory foam mattress I am looking to change has lasted 20 years so rapid sagging isn't inherent to all memory foam mattresses but it does seem to be a common complaint these days. Curiously even with some sag my current deep heavy memory foam mattress still seems to do what is required for my back in the way no conventional or light memory foam mattress ever has.

advertisement

Back