advertisement

I need a new mattress.

I have a dodgy back.. spine not quite straight. I sleep on my side. Both of these things led an osteopath to recommend that I buy a pocket spring mattress. The idea being to get support for your mid spine which sags between your shoulder and hip if you lie on your side. That was many years ago and I haven't had back ache from sleeping since. The current one we have is I think a 1200 or 1400 spring one. Generally the more springs the better, but cost and weight go up accordingly. It's only padded on one side so you swivel it rather than flip it...still hard work. It was from JL and might be their own make. It's due for replacement as it's probably 10 years old or more, and it has dents where my shoulder and hip lie.
If you are a side sleeper getting the right pillow is just as important and as my mattress has developed soft spots my pillow is now too thick to keep my neck straight.
Never tempted by foam ones. Friends of my wife bought an expensive memory foam one years ago and she, with bad back, liked it. He, no back problems just found it too sweaty in the summer...I tend to run a bit on the warm side. Must be Class A body type.

Had an Emma mattress, ended up with sore back and neck while using it, so availed of the returns policy - lady on phone informed me that they couldn't arrange collection from NI, so just refunded me and allowed me to keep the mattress! Which I promptly sold and got a Tempur one instead, which is much better.

So, if you live in NI and want a free mattress, the top tip is....

6 pp on mattresses! Maybe time to put it to bed? Reminds me of the definition of a mistress as something between mister and mattress. :)

Just don’t buy a memory foam mattress as all they do is absorb sweat etc. and are therefore very unhygienic! They also don’t provide you with very good back suppor. Spring mattresses are the only type I’ll buy and sleep on

Funny you should say that ,they are more or less the only mattresses available at the moment .need one for a family member moving but they said the same as you and refused memory foam

advertisement

Back