advertisement

I need a new mattress.

I stayed in the qbic hotel in London, they are associated with a bed manufacturer. Best nights sleep. When I bought a new mattress it was similar to the NaturalMat that Qbic use. It was a wool and natural matting with springs, best bed I have bought. Also I like to sleep on my side and found soft so much better than all the hard mattress I have had.

It does but I’m due a new mattress, I’m interested in this thread for the very reason that you started it. I often suffer really intense back pain whilst trying to sleep which is why I sometimes randomly post on here in the middle of the night. I’m interested in either the Vi Spring or the Emma.

Did you look at the Emma before I started this thread?

i'm about 3 weeks into my emma and so far, it's not too bad. it started reallly well but the jury is out on whether it is starting to develop a permanent slight sag or softness. hard to say. it's certainly better than i thought it might be. i was in a bedstore last w/end looking at a new base and tried a tempur mattress. definitely not for me. so very different from the emma in every way. it felt odd. i suspect i'll be keeping the emma and if the technology keeps improving, i'd think most mattresses will be built similarly in future.

it feels like it has loads of give when you get on it, but it only gives so far and then seems to become supportive. it is also very good at following the contours of your sleeping position, better than a trad sprung mattress i'd say, so that you are supported properly in more surface area.

only concern as i say is the possibility of a slight sag developing. hopefully i'll be able to say one way or the other before the 100 days are up.

..my last mattress was a silentnight miracoil which effectivly gave up the ghost after about 5 years and in retrospect, was not as good as the emma (so far)

I think the bed and mattress business is mostly about smoke, mirrors and profiteering.
I wish I had a tenner for every patient who told me their new mattress was no better or even worse for their back pain.
I wouldn’t look further than a Silentnight zoned one, probably from Costco.

Did you look at the Emma before I started this thread?
No but it seemed that the general consensus (from this thread) is that it’s a good mattress, £699 for a king size is in line with other quality mattresses and since they offer a generous trial period, I gather that they’re confident of very few returns. I’ve also been looking at Hypnos and Simba but haven’t gotten round to visiting any showrooms yet.

Thanks for that HH, some good info there.

No but it seemed that the general consensus (from this thread) is that it’s a good mattress, £699 for a king size is in line with other quality mattresses and since they offer a generous trial period, I gather that they’re confident of very few returns. I’ve also been looking at Hypnos and Simba but haven’t gotten round to visiting any showrooms yet.

Yes I looked at the Simba but I was undecided. If you do have a look around keep me posted will you please.

As with anything, it's horses for courses. I've stayed in a fair few premier inns when staying away with work and find their beds unremarkable, and that comes from someone who sleeps on an £80 IKEA mattress.

I had a brief try of the Emma my Dad bought and found it way too soft for me. But then we're built completely different, I must be the milkman's son because he's 5 "4 and about 10 stone and I'm 6 foot 15 stone.

I had spinal surgery a couple of years ago and it's left me with a bad back. The surgeon did warn me that this might happen and as it's much the lesser of two evils I'm not complaining. The pain in my back is getting worse but I've noticed it eases off as the day goes on so I'm wondering if my old orthopaedic mattress is past its sell by date. There is a bewildering selection of mattresses out there but I wondered whether the new breed of light foam mattresses were worth a shot. Of those I've looked at the Emma mattress sticks out. Do any of you have experience of this mattress or similar or would a more traditional mattress still be the way to go?
One way to test whether you might get on with a foam mattress would be to buy a memory foam mattress topper for your existing mattress. We did this, a couple of years ago - cost around £100 and it transformed our (already respectable) mattress as far as we are concerned. I have lower back grumbles fairly often and this has helped a lot. Also we have memory foam pillows, so don’t overlook that aspect too. We now find most hotel beds give us bad backs and necks and can’t wait to get back to our own bed after holidays and trips away.

just about to junk a tempur mattress but my mum loved it for a long while and even after at least 8 years use its still good as new [ unfortunately got soiled so hence junking it ]

Hi Andy, I tried a topper a while ago and couldn't get on with it for the same reasons. I can see I'm going to end up with a traditional type mattress.

Thanks for that HH, some good info there.

Yes I looked at the Simba but I was undecided. If you do have a look around keep me posted will you please.
I will do, it’ll be a while before I get a chance though, I’m going to see ELO on Wednesday, I’m preparing for a new product launch in mid/late November (product being a fairly complex electronic device hand built by myself), I’m off on holidays from the 19th to the 29th of this month and on the 2nd of November I’m running a charity event for childhood cancer where I’m doing sound and lighting an also preforming in a Beatles tribute... so I’m a tad busy.:D

I need a well ventilated mattress too, I’m one of those people who sleep with a fan on and use a 4.5 tog quilt all year round.

I need a well ventilated mattress too, I’m one of those people who sleep with a fan on and use a 4.5 tog quilt all year round.

In that case I'd definitely steer clear of foam, which rules out most of these boxed mattresses. I too sleep very hot and foam is just awful, it feels like being wrapped in plastic. If you're nesh then I can see the appeal, but if you're the opposite then I'd avoid them altogether or at least make sure it's on a trial.

In that case I'd definitely steer clear of foam, which rules out most of these boxed mattresses. I too sleep very hot and foam is just awful, it feels like being wrapped in plastic. If you're nesh then I can see the appeal, but if you're the opposite then I'd avoid them altogether or at least make sure it's on a trial.
Thanks for the heads up!

I've had:
Herdysleep - really good quality mattress in box. Sprung mattress with wool top. Would recommend this.
Driftsleep - like driftwood. Now gone bust I think.
Eve - foam mattress. quite comfy but lost shape after two months.
Ikea - really good and comfortable but despite a 25 year warranty the foam sides fell apart after a year.

I've had:
Herdysleep - really good quality mattress in box. Sprung mattress with wool top. Would recommend this.
Driftsleep - like driftwood. Now gone bust I think.
Eve - foam mattress. quite comfy but lost shape after two months.
Ikea - really good and comfortable but despite a 25 year warranty the foam sides fell apart after a year.
First time I’ve heard of Herdysleep... £999 for the size I’d want, but again, if you have it for 10 years, that’s £100 a year for somewhere comfortable to sleep and when you look at it like that it’s quite easily justified. I do need to have a look at those.

First time I’ve heard of Herdysleep... £999 for the size I’d want, but again, if you have it for 10 years, that’s £100 a year for somewhere comfortable to sleep and when you look at it like that it’s quite easily justified. I do need to have a look at those.

I did mine on a 100 day free trial. Certainly one of the best of the bed in a box mattresses .

advertisement

Back