advertisement

How would you vote in a General Election?

How would you vote in a General Election?

• A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

Votes: 123 65.1%
  • The Labour Party

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • The Conservative Party

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
If Scots want to remain in the EU at any cost then you have to go for independence from the UK and join the EU. I hope you get a decent deal but don't forget, you'll be dealing with the same intransigence encounterd by May's bunch, so be careful what you wish for.

And the Spanish will still more than likely do everything to block The Scottish independence move as they as bricking it over Catalan independence desires. Look how for the Spanish went to crush the last Catalan referendum/s.

And the Spanish will still more than likely do everything to block The Scottish independence move as they as bricking it over Catalan independence desires. Look how for the Spanish went to crush the last Catalan referendum/s.
If only I had ten pesetas for every time I’ve heard that old castaña.

I disagree with that first paragraph, particularly the suggestion Labour should come out strongly in favour of staying in the EU. There has been a referendum across the UK and the result was to leave.

If Scots want to remain in the EU at any cost then you have to go for independence from the UK and join the EU. I hope you get a decent deal but don't forget, you'll be dealing with the same intransigence encounterd by May's bunch, so be careful what you wish for.

Well, what do you know? This was announced 30 mins ago. "Richard Leonard, who announced his backing for a clearer stance on Brexit following “an incredibly bad result” in the European election, pledged to “wholeheartedly campaign for a Remain victory”. This is pending a second ref on the EU which Labour up here have now endorsed. Better late than never?

Joe said:

Actually, that is no longer the case as they have now agreed that if independence is the democratic wish of the people then they have no objection.

Well, what do you know? This was announced 30 mins ago. "Richard Leonard, who announced his backing for a clearer stance on Brexit following “an incredibly bad result” in the European election, pledged to “wholeheartedly campaign for a Remain victory”. This is pending a second ref on the EU which Labour up here have now endorsed. Better late than never?

I've been expecting Scottish Labour to do something like this, because following the current Westminster Labour party line has them heading for a wipeout in Scotland. Left to their own devices and Scottish Labour are probably about as in favour of remaining in the EU as the SNP are.

I've been expecting Scottish Labour to do something like this, because following the current Westminster Labour party line has them heading for a wipeout in Scotland. Left to their own devices and Scottish Labour are probably about as in favour of remaining in the EU as the SNP are.
Will Len lean on Leonard?

I agree, obstructing the democratic wish of the Scottish people to remain in the EU has proven to be an existential threat to Labour in Scotland. It’s the only thing now I can see that will save them from extinction up here.

I don't expect this to sway the hard core SNP supporters but will it sway those who "voted tory as a safe bet?"

Anyway, I don't demand a party does everything I want 100% of the time, so despite being against a second referendum Labour is still the party to vote for because it is the only party that can replace the UK tory government and stop a tory hard brexit. A Labour recovery in Scotland and a move away from breaking up the UK would be a good thing if it happens. I'm just doubtful it will.

I don't expect this to sway the hard core SNP supporters but will it sway those who "voted tory as a safe bet?"

Anyway, I don't demand a party does everything I want 100% of the time, so despite being against a second referendum Labour is still the party to vote for because it is the only party that can replace the UK tory government and stop a tory hard brexit. A Labour recovery in Scotland and a move away from breaking up the UK would be a good thing if it happens. I'm just doubtful it will.
At the last GE, a small swing away from the SNP allowed the Tories 12 (where they had 1) more seats where Labour only gained 6 (where they had 1) That's a pretty significant 12 seats in Westminster terms n'est ce pas?
I suspect the Tory vote will falter again as the rural/fishing areas that voted for them were sold a crock of shite about post-Brexit funding policy/fishing rights.

But we knew that...

At the last GE, a small swing away from the SNP allowed the Tories 12 (where they had 1) more seats where Labour only gained 6 (where they had 1) That's a pretty significant 12 seats in Westminster terms n'est ce pas?
I suspect the Tory vote will falter again as the rural/fishing areas that voted for them were sold a crock of shite about post-Brexit funding policy/fishing rights.

But we knew that...
Some clearly didn't.

Obviously I hope such a swing away from the SNP and tories does happen.

Although I disagree with a UK second referendum on the EU, if that is the price to pay for a GE and Labour replacing the tories in government I would grab it in an instant.

Obviously I hope such a swing away from the SNP and tories does happen.

Although I disagree with a UK second referendum on the EU, if that is the price to pay for a GE and Labour replacing the tories in government I would grab it in an instant.
Brian, that swing away from SNP enabled a Tory majority! Scotland generally will always oppose a Tory government, the remedial work is required elsewhere*.

*Not being complacent as the Tories are never totally out of the picture, they're usually 2nd place ouside of the urban areas.

Brian, that swing away from SNP enabled a Tory majority! Scotland generally will always oppose a Tory government, the remedial work is required elsewhere*.

*Not being complacent as the Tories are never totally out of the picture, they're usually 2nd place ouside of the urban areas.
I would like to see a swing away from the SNP and away from the tories (to Labour).

I would like to see a swing away from the SNP and away from the tories (to Labour).
Then they will have to really up their game. Brexit is seen as austerity plus and both need put to bed. Labour are perceived as not being interested in resolving the former.

Then they will have to really up their game. Brexit is seen as austerity plus and both need put to bed. Labour are perceived as not being interested in resolving the former.
Fine. What I don't get is why people then vote in a manner that helps enable a tory govt and therefore a tory hard brexit.

Indeed, a long history of battering the sitting government and empowering the main opposition party! Errr, oops!

Yes, I think Corbyn is a slimy duplicitous prick obviously in the pocket of dinosaurs such as McCluskey etc rather than either the party membership or wider electorate and the modern Labour Party is a national embarrassment due to his unwillingness to deal with racism, but I can do basic math and understand statistics too. I grasp *exactly* what -17% means!
QED.

advertisement

Back