advertisement

How would you vote in a General Election?

How would you vote in a General Election?

• A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

Votes: 123 65.1%
  • The Labour Party

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • The Conservative Party

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
9% and in 5th place at the EU election in Scotland suggests the Labour party may have a major problem, Cav. That is a really shocking result for the once dominant party up here.
That might well be true in Scotland. I doubt Scotland is representative of anywhere else.

Fine. What I don't get is why people then vote in a manner that helps enable a tory govt and therefore a tory hard brexit.

If there is a GE before Brexit (exceptionally unlikely now given the state of both the Tories and Labour) then we'd clearly be far better off with a progressive coalition or confidence and supply deal than a Corbyn majority. This way we get forces who really believe in the EU holding the government to account rather than trusting Corbyn, Hoey, Mann etc or by considerable influence, McCluskey. It is achievable by voting tactically by understanding the math in your seat, and looks to be the most likely outcome anyhow regardless. If one lives anywhere other than a Tory/Lab marginal one should think carefully about how best to vote, i.e. don't waste a vote on fence-sitting Corbyn if the Lib Dems, SNP, PC or Greens stand a good chance in that seat.

That might well be true in Scotland. I doubt Scotland is representative of anywhere else.
I strongly suspect Scotland is exclusively representative of Scotland, Cav. :) What is relevant is this used to be strong Labour territory and forgive me for saying so but the rest of the UK mainland seems to be emulating Scotland.

I strongly suspect Scotland is exclusively representative of Scotland, Cav. :) What is relevant is this used to be strong Labour territory and forgive me for saying so but the rest of the UK mainland seems to be emulating Scotland.
Is it? Evidence would be welcome.

If there is a GE before Brexit (exceptionally unlikely now given the state of both the Tories and Labour) then we'd clearly be far better off with a progressive coalition or confidence and supply deal than a Corbyn majority. This way we get forces who really believe in the EU holding the government to account rather than trusting Corbyn, Hoey, Mann etc or by considerable influence, McCluskey. It is achievable by voting tactically by understanding the math in your seat, and looks to be the most likely outcome anyhow regardless. If one lives anywhere other than a Tory/Lab marginal one should think carefully about how best to vote, i.e. don't waste a vote on fence-sitting Corbyn if the Lib Dems, SNP, PC or Greens stand a good chance in that seat.
Your political opinion of Labour seems Thatcherite.

Is it? Evidence would be welcome.
The EU result was not good was it?

_107143345_vote_share_update-nc.png

If he cowps on him he’s deed.

I love the way you Scotchmen still use your ancient tribal tongue to make sounds to each other. I guess you'll soon invent a proper language and then the world will begin to understand what you are all saying. Until that happens I have to confess "a havnae a scoob whit ye are awe rattlin' oan aboot.

So you think EU elections are conclusive of anything? Seriously? I suggest you wager your mortgage on that.
Disregard at your peril, I think. Seriously, doesn't it set off any alarm bells?

(...don't have a mortgage as I is po' remainer trash)

Disregard at your peril, I think. Seriously, doesn't it set off any alarm bells?

Not only will the turn-out in a general election be much greater, people will vote differently in a GE than EU elections.

Labour Brexit supporters - which means Labour supporters in general, just look at the manifesto - live in a land of denial.

(a) They argue Labour Brexit won't do any serious harm to the UK, despite the fact that the Brexit fiasco has already done a massive amount of damage to the nation.

(b) Elections like the European and local ones don't mean anything. The only one that matters is Labour won Peterborough, albeit with 17% less support than before.

(c) Antisemitism is a conspiracy to smear Corbyn, hatched between Tory politicians, the Israeli Embassy, the newspapers, the BBC and Sky. The antisemitism alleged by Labour's Margaret Hodge doesn't count. She is very rich and has come up with examples of antisemitism, because she doesn't want to pay the tax increases Corbyn has in mind for her economic group.

(d) Labour don't like nuclear weapons, but will replace Trident with them. Nia Griffith MP, the Labour Party's Shadow Defence Secretary, argues in a new interview published today that Trident replacement is now a 'settled policy' for her party. https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/defence/house/house-magazine/99697/nia-griffith-“-next-labour-government-will-maintain-our

Labour is full of lies and contradictions.

Jack

I seem to remember it being said that without seats in Scotland, it was unlikely Labour would ever again win an outright majority in a UK general election.

I seem to remember it being said that without seats in Scotland, it was unlikely Labour would ever again win an outright majority in a UK general election.

They're down 40 to 50 seats from what used to be common in Scotland, which is a fair amount to make up from elsewhere.

Labour made a grim miscalculation over Brexit and prior to that Scotland - by taking its vote for granted. The irony was that it was a Labour government that gave Scotland its parliament back - though Thatcher actually paved the way for it. That’s why the thought of a Thatcher +++ government dragging us out of Europe is repellent. The only consolation is that the Tories are being eaten alive by Brexit.

Labour Brexit supporters - which means Labour supporters in general, just look at the manifesto - live in a land of denial.

(a) They argue Labour Brexit won't do any serious harm to the UK, despite the fact that the Brexit fiasco has already done a massive amount of damage to the nation.

(b) Elections like the European and local ones don't mean anything. The only one that matters is Labour won Peterborough, albeit with 17% less support than before.

(c) Antisemitism is a conspiracy to smear Corbyn, hatched between Tory politicians, the Israeli Embassy, the newspapers, the BBC and Sky. The antisemitism alleged by Labour's Margaret Hodge doesn't count. She is very rich and has come up with examples of antisemitism, because she doesn't want to pay the tax increases Corbyn has in mind for her economic group.

(d) Labour don't like nuclear weapons, but will replace Trident with them. Nia Griffith MP, the Labour Party's Shadow Defence Secretary, argues in a new interview published today that Trident replacement is now a 'settled policy' for her party. https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/defence/house/house-magazine/99697/nia-griffith-“-next-labour-government-will-maintain-our

Labour is full of lies and contradictions.

Jack
How often have you been told that what you say is full of lies? Don't try to deny it.

You don't bother to answer any point, but just go in for a slur. Nothing has changed there then.

Jack
Well, it looks like a bit of a woodpile to me.

You said: Labour Brexit supporters - which means Labour supporters in general

"Labour supporters in general" suggests a majority of Labour supporters. From what I've read it's more like 30% of Labour supporters in favour of brexit.

If, as you say, "Labour supporters in general" want brexit, given it's estimated as many as 70% of tory supporters also want brexit, when added to the other brexit supporters that would be quite a large majority of the UK electorate now in favour of brexit. Yet you claim the majority are now in favour of remain. This suggests your latest post is just another slur against Labour. Nothing has changed there then.

I hope that's addressed one of your so-called points, Jack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48039984

advertisement

Back