advertisement

How would you vote in a General Election?

How would you vote in a General Election?

• A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

Votes: 123 65.1%
  • The Labour Party

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • The Conservative Party

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
I see the Brexit company couldn’t resist a racist comment.

“Brexit party insiders said Labour’s reliance upon a mainly Pakistani vote in inner-city wards had been the difference between the parties. “Some of these houses had 14 people in them registered to vote. It would be interesting to see what proportion voted Labour,” said one.”

Stephen

The rhetoric is becoming more inflammatory- the Brexit Party is Ukip-EDL in different coloured rosettes, with a few of the worst embarrassments jettisoned. The provisional wing of the Tory Party are now getting into a pissing contest with them because they know it’s a fight for survival. One commentator even came out and said on the BBC last night that “May will go down in history as the leader who presided over the destruction of the Conservative Party”.

Labour win Peterborough - there are no "buts" except from the Corby/Labour haters.

I am neither. So you’re wrong there.

You can disagree with someone without hating them. I would have campaigned for Corbyn in the 2020 election. He's been on the right side many times, he met with people to try and start dialogue where others would not, the 2017 manifesto was excellent.

But I disagree with him on Brexit. I do agree with the majority of the MPs and Labour members though.

Stephen

Labour win Peterborough - there are no "buts" except from the Corby/Labour haters.

As I said on the other thread I’d have held my nose and voted Labour there. In any Labour/right-wing marginal I’d vote Labour, any other marginal; no, any safe seat; no. Just basic tactical voting really.

For background I'd have voted Labour myself in that seat. However you can't tell me that you're not concerned about the 17% drop in support, or the only reason that Labour won the seat was due to the Brexit party splitting the Tory vote? If that seat was up for a GE again then all that would need to happen to ensure a hard-right MP would be for the Brexit party (or the Tories) not to put forward a candidate.

Labour clearly lost some of their support to the Brexit party and some to the LibDems - so while the fence sitting didn't cause them to lose there it could well be different in other seats as I'm not sure they can afford to lose both the core pro-Remain and pre-Brexit parts of their vote at the same time. It might be ok while the right-wing vote is split (as it was here) but that might not always be the case. Labour came very close to letting a Brexit MP in.

There's an option missing "would if I could" ;)

I've been abroad and off the electoral roll for over 15 years so can no longer vote.......I must be a trend-setting-Brexiteer :rolleyes:

Oh hang on, England, Scotland and Wales are the Three Brexiteers with possibly N. Ireland as d'Artagnan!

I don't have a music setup at the moment. Can you advise me what I should avoid if I was to consider US valve amps?

I've had a Quad 34/405. Very nice too.

Don't apologise. It's a great series of posts.

Sadly, I've not had much experience of any hi-fi valve gear. I suspect I would like it.

I've had a 405 in the studio driving PMC TB2s. That was very nice indeed.

Stephen

I was watching the ITV News at Ten last night (because it followed straight after '63 Up'). They reported the by-election as if the Brexit Party had already won it, based on exit polls presumably).

For background I'd have voted Labour myself in that seat. However you can't tell me that you're not concerned about the 17% drop in support, or the only reason that Labour won the seat was due to the Brexit party splitting the Tory vote? If that seat was up for a GE again then all that would need to happen to ensure a hard-right MP would be for the Brexit party (or the Tories) not to put forward a candidate.

Labour clearly lost some of their support to the Brexit party and some to the LibDems - so while the fence sitting didn't cause them to lose there it could well be different in other seats as I'm not sure they can afford to lose both the core pro-Remain and pre-Brexit parts of their vote at the same time. It might be ok while the right-wing vote is split (as it was here) but that might not always be the case. Labour came very close to letting a Brexit MP in.
The Tories created the environment that enabled the rise of the Brexit Party.

Labour saved the day. What matters is the fact that Labour won.

What has happened since on this forum is people who criticised Corbyn personally and Labour generally cannot bring themselves to admit they were wrong.

Those people now seek to denigrate Labour's victory with posts such as this - and this is not the only one.

What has happened since on this forum is people who criticised Corbyn personally and Labour generally cannot bring themselves to admit they were wrong.

Those people now seek to denigrate Labour's victory with posts such as this - and this is not the only one.

Huh? You don’t grasp simple math? I’m delighted Labour took the seat, but their vote share is 17% down and the political right would have battered them if it wasn’t split between Farage’s new ego-trip non-party and the Tories. I wouldn’t be feeling at all smug here, this is still very obviously a Labour Party in decline. The only growth in this seat was BP and the Lib Dems, Labour and Tory both moved very substantially backwards. In a GE you should be able to figure out what that will mean...

advertisement

Back