advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

I have a 10 panel solar system with a 3.5 KW sorage battery £9.5K
most days as long as I have 2 to 3 hours of sun I get a 100% re charge , Anything else goes into the grid and I get paid for this , The recharge lasts all day and evening with lights TV hifi etc. On a good sunny day I use the washing machine and dish washer and still end up with 100% charge.

Our Calor bulk LPG contract is up for renewal soon. Under the current contract, we've been charged 42.0p per litre, plus VAT.

Have any fishes received an order of bulk LPG recently, and if so what was the price?
It's one of those impossible to find prices unless you're willing to register with competitors, and then be hassled by them.

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but I can't help feeling that some of these payments could have been better targeted on people who really needed them.
Just as the annual heating allowance for older people could be. And PIP, and council tax discounts, and… it’s probably cheaper this way.

Only have the heating on for 1 hour between 7 and 8 pm just to take the chill off when it is propper cold , Keep active up and about during the day , I also invested in the super heavy thermal jumper and blanket that I use in the evenings , Blanket doubled up and put over my legs , Works for me . I'm not being held to ransom for some gas.

Well done! My feelings exactly too, the energy providers shareholders might be getting record dividends, but I haven't contributed one iota.I paid them more last winter than this. Now that its warming up I feel satisfied that I've beaten them and I won't be needing their extortionate gas :)

In fact I know now its no great hardship getting through a winter without running the heating so longer term I don't see the need to waste my money on gas. I wonder if as a nation we abstained what would happen to the gas costs?

In fact I know now it’s no great hardship getting through a winter without running the heating so longer term I don't see the need to waste my money on gas. I wonder if as a nation we abstained what would happen to the gas costs?

Logically, I suppose, that industry would close, and that’d be that. But, most normal people prefer to heat their homes, so another industry would benefit.

My aim, given the choice, would be to die with my bank account slightly in debit. That’d be a win. I like to be comfortable at home, and so does my wife. Under £600 for 14 months of LPG, plus about £100 of firewood has been fine so far, I’m not willing to risk poor health just so I can falsely claim to have beaten the system.

A cold house can cause problems with damp, rust and maybe mold. Also some pipework when it's freezing out. It's also not healthy to be cold, you can get away with a cold environment for a while of course, but long-term there are risks.

That said, we turned down the thermostat 1.5C this year and have been under blankets most of the winter, to save money and to stick it to Putin.

Last edited:
A cold house can cause problems with damp, rust and maybe mold. Also some pipework when it's freezing out. It's also not healthy to be cold, you can get away with a cold environment for a while of course, but long-term there are risks.

To anyone wondering if there is any medical/scientific evidence that says your health suffers if your house too cold read this, I did:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...97/Min_temp_threshold_for_homes_in_winter.pdf

Public Health England did a literature survey of all such studies and summarised into this document. I'd summarise even further: if you have no pre-existing heart or respiratory issues then just stick a coat on and your health will be fine.

As for mould, my house has a small ventilation fan that prevents all damp related issues. Relative humidity sits around 50%. The system is called positive inlet ventilation. Its only results in a 45W heat loss, which is nothing.

To anyone wondering if there is any medical/scientific evidence that says your health suffers if your house too cold read this, I did:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...97/Min_temp_threshold_for_homes_in_winter.pdf

Public Health England did a literature survey of all such studies and summarised into this document. I'd summarise even further: if you have no pre-existing heart or respiratory issues then just stick a coat on and your health will be fine.

As for mould, my house has a small ventilation fan that prevents all damp related issues. Relative humidity sits around 50%. The system is called positive inlet ventilation. Its only results in a 45W heat loss, which is nothing.
I think this is consistent with what I wrote.

"On the basis of the evidence and discussions with experts and implementers presented in
this review; the following recommendations on indoor temperature thresholds are
proposed:
Heating homes to at least 18°C (65F) in winter poses minimal risk to the health of a
sedentary person, wearing suitable clothing.
Daytime recommendations
 The 18°C (65F) threshold is particularly important for people over 65yrs or with pre-
existing medical conditions. Having temperatures slightly above this threshold may be
beneficial for health.
 The 18°C (65F) threshold also applies to healthy people (1 – 64)*. If they are wearing
appropriate clothing and are active, they may wish to heat their homes to slightly less than
18°C (65F)"

Well British Gas sent me good news today so they think, prices per unit have dropped :rolleyes: BUT the standing charge has not :mad:

Standing charges
Your standing charge is a daily rate, which pays for getting the energy from the generators into your home.

Aetvmmed1J9sG17nRmrD3uACetJ0LWFkCRUJ7sFY-5fTMN3dm_QUgbwLWF6sUSR5GZsY-HhM9L019Of0WPMV1vYWKiKMKOHFCJI_QMRNZOixyDPPQJHKpSsQhJSvUi-kdSciwxOhlBp7o3J8yeVT=s0-d-e1-ft

Gas:

34.340p per day

kzWU6CHrdba_AQ__p4or73zommZVBdXxsf3CVNy9ufFhpLEHo-symgqKNwsQI7fSPfmp2BrGRppEv345k5A26VJnjoClBL-kKKnKXngVUawab3EXvu8bo3dvLhzfaypubHHWIWLmXKFI3_cfbhhyKQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Electricity:

68.836p per day

I am paying £1.03 per day no matter what I consume. It is as if the standing charges are staying high in order to pay off the bills that have been brought on to rescue failed suppliers o_O

I am paying £1.03 per day no matter what I consume. It is as if the standing charges are staying high in order to pay off the bills that have been brought on to rescue failed suppliers o_O

We'll all be paying that many times over!

Well British Gas sent me good news today so they think, prices per unit have dropped :rolleyes: BUT the standing charge has not :mad:

Standing charges
Your standing charge is a daily rate, which pays for getting the energy from the generators into your home.

Aetvmmed1J9sG17nRmrD3uACetJ0LWFkCRUJ7sFY-5fTMN3dm_QUgbwLWF6sUSR5GZsY-HhM9L019Of0WPMV1vYWKiKMKOHFCJI_QMRNZOixyDPPQJHKpSsQhJSvUi-kdSciwxOhlBp7o3J8yeVT=s0-d-e1-ft

Gas:

34.340p per day

kzWU6CHrdba_AQ__p4or73zommZVBdXxsf3CVNy9ufFhpLEHo-symgqKNwsQI7fSPfmp2BrGRppEv345k5A26VJnjoClBL-kKKnKXngVUawab3EXvu8bo3dvLhzfaypubHHWIWLmXKFI3_cfbhhyKQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Electricity:

68.836p per day

Yes, had the same email. Based on my usage it’s a projected overall annual bill reduction of circa 18%.

I think those who incur debts should repay the debts. In this case, those in our successive governments who privatised energy companies, and those in the energy companies who profited hugely by that.

Standing charges

Gas:

34.340p per day

Electricity:

68.836p per day

Eek. Just checked our electric standing charge with Octopus (moved to them automatically a few weeks ago from failed Bulb) and we pay 40.11p per day.

Eek. Just checked our electric standing charge with Octopus (moved to them automatically a few weeks ago from failed Bulb) and we pay 40.11p per day.

Hmm, time to look into this further.

I do know that it depends on what part of the country you are.

We are on the British Gas SVR so not sure what is going on here in comparison to other companies.

Are we being charged more because of this payment method I wonder : Quarterly Cash/Cheque ?

Yes we are it seems. I refuse to sign up to a direct debit payment so I get penalised for it.

advertisement

Back