advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

I have to wonder whether there is a link there.

I asked myself the same question at the time. I caught by the flu and the respiratory bacterial infection from my girlfriend (who lives separately from me, in a warm house), she had the symptoms week before me. I caught the flu at the time my GP told me flu was rife in the UK. Also I was living without heating for a month or more at these temperatures before I got ill. Then another two months after the antibiotics got shot of the infection with no recurrence of the illness. I'm happy that my house temperatures were not the cause of my illness.

I did my research before deciding to switch off the heating. I referred to the results way back in this thread. To summarise, Public Health England did a literature survey of all relevant papers and concluded that if you have no respiratory problems then providing you dress warm enough there no minimum safe indoor temperature.

Everyone's different, my tolerance to cold is better than most and so its acceptably comfortable - for me. Hence I decided to benefit financially from my high cold tolerance this winter. I'm using the money saved to fund a better holiday for me and the girlfriend.

Spot Paul Rich in this crowd:

15-C1-AAA3-8307-4564-B4-BB-42-D92066-B833.jpg

Good Evening All,

In an attempt to keep the thread somewhat on track even if this relates to electricity rather than gas.

Over the last 30 days my average daily bill has been £7.83, Solar PV has contributed 15.91kWh per day and the batteries are saving me £7.45 a day.

Regards

Richard

Moved into 3 bed chalet bungalow end of October.
Gas boiler (2016), gas central heating, hot water tank heated by gas.
I've come from oil powered boiler so no idea what a normal gas bill would be. Obviously they are very high at the moment.

Month of November was £212, December £450 ...very very cold week or so in December.

I have kept rooms at 20 degrees C and 17 at night.

Seems outrageous, is this excessive?
£240 running heating and hot water and our 3 bed house is very well insulated

How do you manage such a low gas bill AudioAl?

Only have the heating on for 1 hour between 7 and 8 pm just to take the chill off when it is propper cold , Keep active up and about during the day , I also invested in the super heavy thermal jumper and blanket that I use in the evenings , Blanket doubled up and put over my legs , Works for me . I'm not being held to ransom for some gas.

A friend of mine had his gas bill in for 3 months , £768 , He uses electric for cooking.
He was shocked and now does what I do , Trimmed gas use back big time.

A friend of mine had his gas bill in for 3 months , £768 , He uses electric for cooking.
He was shocked and now does what I do , Trimmed gas use back big time.
And hopefully he'll either deal with what must be either a very leaky house, or a house that might be too big?

I live in a typical 1980's brick 4 bed house.

During the winter months gas central heating and hot water is on for 1 hour in the morning and 4 hours in the evening with central heating set to 20 C. Washing machine, dishwasher and conventional electric fan oven are each used about twice a week. I'm ashamed to admit that I make no special efforts to save on consumption.

In the twelve months 'thru February 2023 total fuel consumption/costs (rounded) were:

Gas 16,250 kWh/£760.00
Elec 2,050 kWh/£550.00
-------------------------------------
Total 18,300 kWh/£1,310.00

During the same period, like most pensioners in England*, I received the following Govt. rebates/payments towards fuel costs:

Govt. Council Take rebate: £150.00
Winter fuel payment: £500.00
Govt. energy support payments (pro rata) £330
------------------------------------------
Total rebates/payments £980.00
Nett cost to me £ £330.00
=============================

I'm fortunate to be on a Shell Energy 18 month fixed tariff which expires at the end of July 2023, and consumption and gross costs in the previous twelve months thru February 22 were almost identical at 18,300 kWh/£1,310.00, but with with Govt. rebates and payments nett cost was £980 less this year than last year. This doesn't seem fair or right, does it? There must be significant numbers in a similar position?

* Scotland, Wales and NI are different I think?

I live in a typical 1980's brick 4 bed house.

During the winter months gas central heating and hot water is on for 1 hour in the morning and 4 hours in the evening with central heating set to 20 C. Washing machine, dishwasher and conventional electric fan oven are each used about twice a week. I'm ashamed to admit that I make no special efforts to save on consumption.

In the twelve months 'thru February 2023 total fuel consumption/costs (rounded) were:

Gas 16,250 kWh/£760.00
Elec 2,050 kWh/£550.00
-------------------------------------
Total 18,300 kWh/£1,310.00

During the same period, like most pensioners in England*, I received the following Govt. rebates/payments towards fuel costs:

Govt. Council Take rebate: £150.00
Winter fuel payment: £500.00
Govt. energy support payments (pro rata) £330
Total rebates/payments £980.00
Nett cost to me £ £330.00
=============================

I'm fortunate to be on a Shell Energy 18 month fixed tariff which expires at the end of July 2023, and consumption and gross costs in the previous twelve months thru February 22 were almost identical at 18,300 kWh/£1,310.00, but with with Govt. rebates and payments nett cost was £980 less this year than last year. This doesn't seem fair or right, does it? There must be significant numbers in a similar position?

* Scotland, Wales and NI are different I think?
Too difficult to make it suit every individual household.

Good Morning All,

A quick update. The average daily electricity bill over the last week has been £3.51 - but as noted above/ elsewhere that's the result of a PW2, 10.7kW of Solar PV, 18.5kW of PylonTech batteries and some judicious control of it all using the Home Assistant programme (which had a wee hiccough seemingly related to the clocks going forward this morning but which could have coincidence).

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back