advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

Just had our gas and electricity bill for the last quarter, £1170! There’s only 3 of us! £650 last year, quite a hike.

I don’t understand it, 16kwh a day average on electric, although we do use a tumble drier a fair bit. This is much higher than the average suggested in the media for a 4-5 bedroom house, not a 3 bed end terrace.

1440kwh electric for the last 3 months.
5000kwh Gas for 3 months

Last edited:
Just had our gas and electricity bill for the last quarter, £1170! There’s only 3 of us! £650 last year, quite a hike.

I don’t understand it, 16kwh a day average on electric, although we do use a tumble drier a fair bit. This is much higher than the average suggested in the media for a 4-5 bedroom house, not a 3 bed end terrace.
I just checked our electricity usage. Over Jan and Feb we averaged around 7kWh per day, peaks of 12kWh. This is a 4 floor house, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, tumble dryer. Your tumble drier needs to be used sparingly, maybe you have several 50W halogen lights too? Electric heated floor?

I just checked our electricity usage. Over Jan and Feb we averaged around 7kWh per day, peaks of 12kWh. This is a 4 floor house, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, tumble dryer. Your tumble drier needs to be used sparingly, maybe you have several 50W halogen lights too? Electric heated floor?

tumble drier used probably twice a day, one American fridge/ freezer and a separate under counter fridge in kitchen. Dishwasher once a day and washing machine possibly twice a a day. No underfloor heating and gas central heating. All LED Lighting but I do use the oven a fair bit when the baking urge strikes! I guess I should unplug some stuff!

We struggle to even get it down to 10kWh a day, even overnight sometimes the meter shows over a kWh used in 5 hours!

Just checked on google, it's most likely the tumble dryer at 4.5kWh a cycle.

From our last bill we averaged 22.4kWh per day for electric (for a 5-bedroom detached) so those averages of 7 to 10 kWh per day seem quite low. Even in our cottage, when we're in it we average about 12kWh per day in the winter.

From our last bill we averaged 22.4kWh per day for electric (for a 5-bedroom detached) so those averages of 7 to 10 kWh per day seem quite low. Even in our cottage, when we're in it we average about 12kWh per day in the winter.
Interesting. We have a quite large Edwardian semi (4,000 sq ft, 4 floors, 6 bed, 2 bathrooms), our current 7kWh/day electricity usage includes electric oven, tumble drier, 2 fridges (not American sized), 1 freezer, 1 other freezer as part of a fridge.

When we had fewer LED lights and 2 heated bathroom floors running, we used 13kWh/day average. In our case the heated floors were the hungry consumers. 22.4kWh is a little eye-watering unless this includes some heating too.

Last edited:
31st January to 26th February: £68 Electricity, £48 Gas. (100m2 house, 150mm insulation, 200mm in roof) Lots of windows.
With H.M. Treasury chipping in £67 it's been a cheap month.
Pre-heating water on the wood stove and storing it in a flask next to the kettle. Using hot-water bottles (with hot water from stove). Central heating on for only 30 mins/day to take chill off the concrete floor. Everything switched off at plug at bedtime. All upstairs rads off. Kids have returned to their own digs.

We are extremely lucky and grateful to have free logs and full control over our heating needs. Must be very grim in a cold, poorly-insulated house/flat with children who need to be kept warm. My elderly parents are spending a fortune on heating in their draughty, single glazed Victorian home. I've been trying to feed them firewood, but they burn so much, in an open fire, I couldn't possibly keep up with their needs. Converting thinned trees to dry firewood is very time-consuming, long-term work.

Prices are falling,when will we see it?
Wholesale UK gas prices are now around 123.5p per therm - a unit of heat - down from highs of around 450p a therm in August 2022

Meanwhile wholesale electricity prices have dropped from 548p per megawatt hour in August 2022 to just 139p today.

Prices are falling,when will we see it?
Wholesale UK gas prices are now around 123.5p per therm - a unit of heat - down from highs of around 450p a therm in August 2022

Meanwhile wholesale electricity prices have dropped from 548p per megawatt hour in August 2022 to just 139p today.
I doubt we will see it now they’ve got away with hiking the prices. I would like to know why we aren’t seeing the price come down. I mean, really know, not some crap and lies. They are killing people and killing the economy.

Pssst. It's another scam.

"British Gas owner Centrica reports record annual profits of £2.8bn last year. Up seven-fold from £392m in 2021" https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1626118264479793152

This is where your massive gas bills are going.

Very much like Covid. Government money is syphoned off in the name of corporate profit.

The vast majority of that profit comes from their exploration and production operations, not their retail arm.

In which case, why don't they use those profits to reduce their retail tariffs?, I hear you cry. Well, they cannot do that. By law.

I see Martin Lewis is patting himself on the back all over the place as though we're all going to be better off. We lose the support payments and the standing charge goes up whilst unit rates barely come down a fraction of a penny. I don't need to be money saving expert to figure out that I'm worse off not better.

I see Martin Lewis is patting himself on the back all over the place as though we're all going to be better off. We lose the support payments and the standing charge goes up whilst unit rates barely come down a fraction of a penny. I don't need to be money saving expert to figure out that I'm worse off not better.
Well, he has provided very sound advice for many years; saved people £000s or more over the years; been a worthwhile site for best return "high street" investments; given millions to charity.

Never got why some people don't like him.

Still getting by with extra layers of clothes and not running the heating: for February: elec £76, gas £46. I ran the heating for a fortnight at Christmas when I was laid low with flu and and a respiratory bacterial infection, but other than that I haven't ran the heating all winter. Living room varies between 11°C and 13°C.

I also learned that olive oil needs to be at a higher temperature than avocado oil to pour, I have to preheat the olive oil next to the hob when I'm cooking with it or else it won't come out to play :). Also my deodorant spray is not is not meeting half of its contractual obligation: to spray!

advertisement

Back