advertisement

Glasto 2024

Fat White Family have been quite good.

Never 'eard of them, or many of those playing at Glastonbury this year. Have been on YT listening to the bands referenced here and find most of it disappointing. Even those bands hailed as "protesty" are musically poor in my view...

Why is there a guy dangling his balls and pointing his arse crack at the camera?

Switched off Coldplay after "Yellow".... Their 1st album was good, but after that....

Now watching Bloc Party.... I thought they disappeared years ago.... Only ever heard their 1st album but are any of their later ones any good?

CP are the typical formulaic easy-hit band with show-ey staged performances. My sister loves them, goes to see them every year in a different European city.

No one else watch The Breeders? Band of the festival for me so far. Kelly even messed up the solos - which is part of the charm - and they just looked like they were having so much fun! Coolest 63 year olds there no question.

I love them. Although the audience seems to be middle aged blokes with beer bellies who still fancy Kim Deal rather than 20-something indie kids who fancy Kim Deal like me :)

@tuga thanks alot for that. Just having my breakfast alpen & froffy coffee, & what do I see? A chap's batty & junk.

You did a warning, but I wasn't expecting it quite so soon. That's the only bit of 'glasto' I've seen this year too.

Capt

I love them. Although the audience seems to be middle aged blokes with beer bellies who still fancy Kim Deal rather than 20-something indie kids who fancy Kim Deal like me :)

That's the only name along with Sleaford Mods to catch my eye out of all those listed names, their joy is infectious/ well specifically the Deal sisters & drummer (J the english bassist is typically & oppositely deadpan!).

I've put up a great little acoustic few songs they recently did, live in a CA forest, up on maccar's Folk/ acoustic thread: prolly a page or so back by now. It's really a peach.

I must agree with the Idles detractors: I find them so dreadful as to being mildly amusing- I even feel compelled to dip in to watch but only like a car-crash, astounded at how UK 'guitar music' has got here. Sleaford Mods' comments are right but letting them off lightly, & Justin Hawkins has a similar pov (knowledgeable even if his band's hardly great). I can't possibly listen to any political message amongst that dirge sorry; the singer was though, invited as one of two guests onto Open Book on radio 4 last year (so he obviously has intelligence), but the very first thing he said was that yes he had 'read' the book in question, but on an audiobook. Omg. You could almost hear the incredulous reaction from presenter & other guest! Hmm.. not so intelligent. He does though, clearly have a rich (spoken) voice that is without doubt.

Capt

Enjoyed the theatre of Coldplay - it is a spectacular show - but the music is just not for me.

Nitin Sawhney was excellent, but would prefer to see that band somewhere smaller and intimate.

Jessie Ware was fun.

As much as I enjoyed Disclosure, it made me miss Faithless and Maxi even more.

Hey fk you that's me! She's still a fox now she's not so chunky as she was.

--

I'm sure there'd be loads of bands I'd like at glasto on other stages, tiny corners & acoustic things, a Malian tuareg band for eg (Mdou Moctar [Niger] was the 3rd that caught my eye on the list), or potty Japanese band.

So I'd still love to have gone despite the lists of pop takeovers, the rap nonsense, coldsore, faithless, idles, old fart crooners & the miming.

Capt

Just watched the Little Simz set, superb as expected. Literate, articulate, powerful, politically astute and part of a linage and tradition that clearly goes back to things like Pieces Of A Man, Whats Going On etc. For those that think they hate rap give her a chance. She’s the real deal.

PS Her album ‘No Thank You’ is superb and sounds it too, cut beautifully over 4 sides. I’d unquestionably spin it at a hi-fi show to sell kit!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back