advertisement

General Election 2024

Nevertheless, if there is any hope, it lies outwith the increasingly narrowing reforms offered by Parliamentary democracy. I am encouraged by movements like the huge pro-Palestinian rallies currently sweeping the globe, the student encampments, the revolts in Kenya and Sudan, the massive anti- Le Pen demos in France, as well as the recent huge public sector strikes, Black Lives Matter, Extinction Rebellion, Gilet Jaunes movements etc. And that is where I will continue to direct my efforts rather than await the meagre crumbs that might be tossed our way from Starmer.

Wow! That's a pretty revolutionary stance! You seem to be pointing more to revolution, than to the employment of popular dissent to influence Parliament. Is that really what you want? Are you prepared to bring down our 800 year old Parliament, with its accompanying oversight of encumbent administrations, its defence of our Independent Judiciary and (more or less) Independent Press/Media?

Have you thought that through?

Edit: I'll go further. All of those groups/movements/actions etc.. which you describe are certainly broadly anti establishment and I'm broadly in agreement with their greivances. I'm not sure they'd all turn out to be left wing by our definitions if they ever gained true power, but the main point is that they are all essentially interest/protest groups, which are very clear about what they are against, but maybe rather less sure about what they are for.. and how to achieve it.

If you create enough noise to bring down the house, you have achieved homelessness. Then what?

I'm also reminded of the response attributed to Mark Twain when asked what he thought about Sin. His reply... "I'm agin it" didn't move us forward much...

I've just noticed that, following the boundary fiddles, my ballot paper doesn't even come from my own council but from the neighbouring blooming county!

FB-IMG-1719579625906.jpg

Sherry?

@Finnegan.
So you do realise that any attempt at revolution outside of the Parliamentary system risks all sorts of unintended consequences?
Just off the top of my head..
Civil War and not just between two camps.
Military Coup
Foreign (almost certainly American) intervention.
The establishment of an authoritarian regime, a la Stalin, Robespierre, Putin, Mao,etc.,etc.

@Finnegan.
So you do realise that any attempt at revolution outside of the Parliamentary system risks all sorts of unintended consequences?
Just off the top of my head..
Civil War and not just between two camps.
Military Coup
Foreign (almost certainly American) intervention.
The establishment of an authoritarian regime, a la Stalin, Robespierre, Putin, Mao,etc.,etc.
It also established inter alia U.K. Parliamentary democracy in 1649. It threw off British colonialism in the US in 1776. And rid the Romanian people of Ceauşescu in 1989. Liberated the slaves in modern day Haiti in 1781. And in France in 1789, ushered in the modern world as we know it.

But don't underestimate his popularity in Islington, and the extent of urban decay there.
Left out of the Levelling Up agenda, I imagine.
It also established inter alia U.K. Parliamentary democracy in 1649. It threw off British colonialism in the US in 1776. And rid the Romanian people of Ceauşescu in 1989. Liberated the slaves in modern day Haiti in 1781. And in France in 1789, ushered in the modern world as we know it.
yeah but apart from that..

From which, surely, the logical conclusion is to be careful which revolution you pick? You noticeably left out the Russian, Chinese etc., revolutions, which were long, messy and led even via a charitable assessment, to long term authoritarian rule. And given the imperialist shenannigans of Napoleon, I'm not entirely sure the French Revolution was quite the boon to humanity you portray.
By contrast, the Romanian, American and other revolutions were more 'popular', represented pretty much homogenous groups and led to functioning Democracies.

I'm just left wondering what sort of revolution you'd expect in the UK? For a start, we are more comparable to 'former Yugoslavia', than to Romania, in that we already have existing tensions between four national groups, plus significant ethnic and religious minorities, all of whom can be reliably expected to make a bid for their own territorial, economic and religious objectives in the inevitable period of instability which revolution would certainly bring. I've already mentioned the inevitable outside interests, which would include at the least the US, probably Eire, and possibly EU/NATO or even potentially Russia.

But quite apart from all of my educated guesswork above. Consider this. We've spent the whole of this Electoral Campaign period agonising, along with a divided and confused nation, over which way to jump. We have numerous clear political groupings, most of which barely acknowledge the yolk of Neoliberalism under which we all struggle.. much less offer any real way out.

Which leaves me wondering, where is your consensus for a 'popular' revolution coming from..and even if you can create one, how do you prevent outside interference or catastrophic internal strife?

One Labour, three Reform. Very curious as to Reform's success. Ex mining area.

I guess they view it as a target. Not had one fascist leaflet here yet, though they came last place here in the recent by-election. This seat is between Labour and Galloway as far as I can tell. I’m having no part in it. My Green vote will achieve nothing as usual.

Very curious as to Reform's success. Ex mining area.
I'm from mining stock going back at least five generations and I am absolutely NOT fooled by Reform.. but don't delude yourself that solid working class communities are anything other than very fertile ground for the propagation of Reform brand populism. All neglected former industrial areas are filled with bitter, disappointed folks who are very susceptible to such shite.

One Labour, two Reform and one 'English Constitution' leaflet here. No sign of the Tories, who haven't had an MP round here since Adam was a lad.

advertisement

Back