advertisement

General Election 2024

Wonder if the press will start to worry they've done too good a job here, and start remembering stuff they've got on Labour. They'll need something to threaten Labour with, and if the Tories really do completely and finally implode...

EeSHe6J.png

Would anyone here actually stand again if they were in their mid 60's or older, had a decent pot of money in the bank and knew you weren't going to get the job again? I wouldn't, and I suspect nor would any Labour or any other party politician. Pretty normal human behaviour as I see it.

Probably, but would hazard a guess it’s around normal retirement age and older than many other public sector employees retire.
Yes, but how many MPs can you name who quit Parliament when they got to state pension age?

You’re trying to spin this as people making a principled decision, whereas the reality is they are just trying to avoid public humiliation. That’s entirely understandable, if disappointing. Public humiliation is the very least many of them deserve.

At least we are getting rid of some of the very worst and most vile people in public life. I’d have love to have seen them snivelling at 3:17 in the morning, but gone is good enough. I’ll take the win.

Would anyone here actually stand again if they were in their mid 60's or older, had a decent pot of money in the bank and knew you weren't going to get the job again? I wouldn't, and I suspect nor would any Labour or any other party politician. Pretty normal human behaviour as I see it.
Depends if they were in politics to "serve the wonderful voters" or to get their faces in the trough.

both parties competed very hard for an increasingly narrow economic "centre ground", and then tried to manage the widespread sense of disenfranchisement that followed by moving ever further to the right on social issues.
ISTM that the economic ground the two main parties have fought over is not centre, but hard right. It is the economics of privatisation, deregulation and public spending cuts.

Social issues require government investment, which is artificially constrained by ideology

It is the hard right economics that crowd out social issues because there is never enough ‘fiscal headroom’ for investment in social (or environmental) outcomes

Last edited:
I think not wanting to be a podium on election night coming in fifth place after the Natural Law Party candidate is pretty good motivation.

Yeah stuff that for a game of soldiers, much better to be out on the razz with a nose full of sniff with not a care in the world. Jobs well done eh?

As ever follow the money. Look at how the party is funded (though you have to dig a bit as it is so deliberately obfuscated). Look at how many MPs are multimillionaires with outside interests worth multiples of their MP salaries, bogus “directorships” for lobbying etc. Barely a week goes by without one of them getting busted for lobbying, shilling, fiddling their taxes, or dipping the till in some way or another. Then look at how they sell peerages, state assets, contracts etc. Political corruption semi-“legalised” via deliberately bent rules.

The UK Conservative Party is a criminal entity IMHO. Gangsters, albeit very posh public school educated ones. The last thing it represents is the wider electorate.
A simply outrageous assertion. If it was a criminal entity it would be subject to the full power of the law and prosecuted. But I guess you're going to assert they're all part of the corrupt establishment machine.

I'm afraid your second point is questionable too. As far as I can see, several million more people voted Conservative than voted Labour. Regardless of the obvious (to me) drawbacks of our first past the post system, a PR system would still have produced more Tory MPs than Labour MPs. I share your obvious disappointment at the way in which our present system skewed subsequent parliamentary power , but the fact is that more people voted Conservative than voted Labour. Do you not accept that, whatever voting system we, er, enjoy, we would have a Tory majority in parliament because more of the voting population wanted this?

advertisement

Back