advertisement

FoS - anyone else here?

loved every bit of it but getting out on Sat eve........

Thankfully, I live quite close, so have found the trick is to arrive early, before they open (there's a queue but it soon goes down) and stay late - I left about 7.30pm last night, wasn't too bad getting out.

Am going again tomorrow :)

Sitting in a pub close to Goodwood, staying in a good friends house. This was my 24th year. I saw the original record set and have long considered it as almost in repeatable by anything but another F1 car, but as that was never going to happen due to a change in rules, it has only really been the last 3 - 4 years that it has been challenged. That VW is simply insane. It changes direction faster than any F1 car has, and the speed it carries through bends (Molecomb) is just remarkable. Never mind on rails. It is just a fantastic event and I simply can’t miss it now,, but I have wound down to just one day now.

Gotta love the drifting Dakar truck @ 1:05, better angles than some of the purpose built drift tat lol

Thankfully, I live quite close, so have found the trick is to arrive early, before they open (there's a queue but it soon goes down) and stay late - I left about 7.30pm last night, wasn't too bad getting out.

Am going again tomorrow :)

I was there around 30 mins before they opened (Sat and Sun) so getting in wasn't a problem. Left at 7 and was very lucky to spot a gap opened by a steward (saw another car doing it and followed) which probably saved me at least 30 mins but still took 3 hours to get home to Windsor.

But a current F1 car can’t compete, and let’s be honest, the FoS is a poxy hill in a rich bloke’s garden. Most runs aren’t even competitive.
They will be tomorrow though, but more importantly the run the scalextric car had was in optimum conditions. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed to be as good.

They will be tomorrow though.

I can only find reference to “current teams” running cars, not current cars.

The limited number of engines per driver/car and huge limitations on testing surely mean that, for now, we won’t see Lewis, Charles, Valteri and Max competing head on for fastest times in the latest F1 cars.

I can only find reference to “current teams” running cars, not current cars.

The limited number of engines per driver/car and huge limitations on testing surely mean that, for now, we won’t see Lewis, Charles, Valteri and Max competing head on for fastest times in the latest F1 cars.
There are 'cheap' hill climb cars that could challenge the EV, as well as other cars that aren't F1. I'd like to see them have a go, but it seems the VW brown envelope may have more sway.

I followed the British Hillclimb Championship 1987-90, and yes, I should think the modern equivalents of the Pilbeams I watched would be something else up Goodwood.

Well 16 years a ago the British Hillclimb champion at the time Graeme Wight was allowed to run at the festival in his Gould,

He clocked a none too shabby 42.90 which was only a second off the Nick Heidfeld former record, and I think times and cars have improved since so yes a dedicated British Hillclimb car would be competitive today.......I have a feeling they are maybe frowned upon though. One of those beating the multi zillion pound star act may not go down too well.

Well 16 years a ago the British Hillclimb champion at the time Graeme Wight was allowed to run at the festival in his Gould,

He clocked a none too shabby 42.90 which was only a second off the Nick Heidfeld former record, and I think times and cars have improved since so yes a dedicated British Hillclimb car would be competitive today.......I have a feeling they are maybe frowned upon though. One of those beating the multi zillion pound star act may not go down too well.
This is the issue in a nutshell, the FOS is now an advertisement for the big companies. The hill climb/shootout has now become a showcase, and a knackered old hill climb car doesn't fit the bill at all.

advertisement

Back