advertisement

FoS - anyone else here?

They (hill climb teams) are the absolute experts at harrying a car up the hill, be it an F2 car, caterfield type or standard saloon style; they'd show the F1 drivers a clean set of heels.

The hill climb people are experts at just that, as you have stated. PaulR on here did this for a few years and had a very fast car. A friend of mine at Sauber used to do this as well. He came second in the UK championship quite a few years ago and then made a bad choice in terms of an engine to try and win the following year.

The Pikes peak video is great (thanks for posting), but the car looks like it would have gone even faster with a better setup.

As to racing an F1 car up such peaks, they are not designed to do that at all. However, if that was set as an objective, then a modified F1 car would be extremely fast as well. It would just be a question of the rules, the budget, the resource and the time available.

Has anyone walked the hill at Goodwood? It seems a lot less steep gradient then say Harewood and certainly some of the other Yorkshire hills I've competed at. However without walking it it is so hard to tell.

Has anyone walked the hill at Goodwood? It seems a lot less steep gradient then say Harewood and certainly some of the other Yorkshire hills I've competed at. However without walking it it is so hard to tell.

It is nothing like as steep as the main climb at Harewood, but walking up and down all day, in crowds and dust, is tiring. However, it’s thirty years since I went to any of the championship hillclimbs, so.....

The European championship hillclimbs are scary long and very, very fast.

And one of the very few competition cars I regret never seeing, the late Georg Plasa in his self-built BMW 134 Judd. Only ever raced in Europe I think.

With respect:

Titles:

11th Duke of Richmond
11th Duke of Lennox
11th Duke of Aubigny
6th Duke of Gordon

And that’s all.

tenor.gif

And one of the very few competition cars I regret never seeing, the late Georg Plasa in his self-built BMW 134 Judd. Only ever raced in Europe I think.

Is that the same one as at this year's FOS Tony? Not sure how many Judd BMWs there are but there's one on a lot of vids from this year.

Is that the same one as at this year's FOS Tony? Not sure how many Judd BMWs there are but there's one on a lot of vids from this year.

I really don’t know, but (and I won’t link a video of it) Georg Plasa died when he crashed his into a rocky cliff. The car wouldn’t have been salvageable, and I doubt whether anyone would have wanted to compete with anything from it.

I really don’t know, but (and I won’t link a video of it) Georg Plasa died when he crashed his into a rocky cliff. The car wouldn’t have been salvageable, and I doubt whether anyone would have wanted to compete with anything from it.

Ahh ok, sorry I didn't know. I just caught a glimpse of a Judd engined E36 on one of the vids that sounded amazing and connected the dots. As you say, unlikely the same car.

They' should be saying that it's a work in progress then, because although an EV is cleaner once it's plugged into your solar panel system, 95% of these cars will be charged from a supply that is filthy in terms of its carbon footprint
Check the Western Power carbontracer site to check, unless you are on 100% coal the CO2 per unit distance is emphatically less.
Musk should look to square the circle by getting into clean energy creation - he might already be.
Is already, solar roof.
Once I have an EV, and charge it from my own solar panels/storage, it’ll be a lot les polluting than cleanest IC engined car.
Did just that today using a Zappi charger. OK, for a hybrid Passat GTE rather than full EV due to some work travel requirements but there is 30 miles of range now in there straight out of the air.

500KW eh? A lot less than the most powerful ICE's around! Just need the right engine in the right chassis plus VW levels of money and tech to spend on the handling etc and ICE's should well have it back in the bag. Bring it on! Bloody sewing machines:rolleyes:

It should be interesting next week when the New Lotus 130 all electric Hypercar is launched, I believe it's at the FOS now under a shroud of security.

It will show if its a folly by the pricing of it. Will it be affordable to the Lotus enthusiast who's already seen the marque hit Porsche price structures? or will it be an unaffordable (to most) show case oddball once more?

For anyone interested the launch of the British built all electric Hypercar is happening today. I mentioned the pricing of it above and thought it may be rich. Hearing it could be 2 million pounds rich now. I think I'll be giving that a miss even if it is green:D

I think the launch happens on the link below.........people who've glimpsed it are sworn to secrecy but it is supposed to be a bit different, and mega quick. We'll see. Shame it wasn't launched at the FOS though instead of lying there under guarded cover.

https://www.lotuscars.com/?fbclid=IwAR390HggM5QtIHPBHrLT4ua2eHWrb5I4h0EY3vygQR-4OyY4vG5HvOnvn1E

I went to Chateau Impney again this year - I prefer it to the FoS, it has many of the same older cars, but not the boring, modern stuff (new supercars leave me cold)! It's a bit less "corporate" in feel, too.

Thought Tesla had already done an electric Lotus?

I thought they used a Lotus chassis. From what people are guessing this thing could be the quickest car ever built.

I still don't understand the thought process behind the massive and costly development of it though, I suppose we may find out soon.

Didn't go this year - decided to avoid the traffic (I normally walk up the canal and get the bus from the station - a lot more sensible than driving).

Does anybody know if the Beast of Turin was there? That's my kind of car. Stick a FO big engine on a chassis, and bolt a seat on the back. Brilliant.

Yes, it appears on some of the footage on youtube from this year's festival.
The best thing about the Beast attending is that the owner Duncan Pittaway drives it to Goodwood from home nr Bristol :)

Yes, it appears on some of the footage on youtube from this year's festival.
The best thing about the Beast attending is that the owner Duncan Pittaway drives it to Goodwood from home nr Bristol :)
Now that's impressive. We can all trailer a garage queen to an event, fire it up and razz it up a hill for 5 minutes, but it takes a bit of enthusiasm to drive a thing like that 100+ miles across England. His fuel bill must be a bit eye-watering. It's not exactly a modern turbodiesel, is it?

That Lotus looks nice. And completely barking mad - almost 2000HP in a 1700Kg car...will be ridiculously quick..

The Beast is always fun to watch on the hill. Just need to be careful where you are standing relative to it in the paddock when they start it up!

advertisement

Back