advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

Hi orangeart.

I did not mean you personally. meant some of the other bodgers on here ...

Cheers,
Peter

IMO (not used it) SAM seems like a good way to make a small speaker sound bigger and is going to work especially well on a 3-way system like the Phantom. However, on a 2-way system the added work for the bass-mid trying to push low is likely to detract from midrange quality. You simply can't ask a bass-mid to wobble around making deep bass without some modulation of the midrange.

IMO (not used it) SAM seems like a good way to make a small speaker sound bigger and is going to work especially well on a 3-way system like the Phantom. However, on a 2-way system the added work for the bass-mid trying to push low is likely to detract from midrange quality. You simply can't ask a bass-mid to wobble around making deep bass without some modulation of the midrange.

Yet all the reports are that it works really well.

I'm sure some of the gains outweigh some of the loses but Tenson is right. Widening the bandwidth a driver has to reproduce introduces modulation of the rest of the bandwidth it produces. That is obviously part of the reason why we move from 2 to 3 way then to 4 way etc. The Grimm speakers and my own do a similar thing to the SAM but as the volume of the driver increases the eq applied to the bottom end rolls of as a proportion. It means that the level of bass changes for a given playback volume though. There are compromises whatever you do!

Stefan

My design of the E-IX is quite deliberate. It already has a rather extended bottom end; such that I don't feel they need subwoofery augmentation if listening to music at sensible levels in a smaller room. I have been listening to my pair for the last four or five weeks, and I don't miss the mighty E-X. Extending the 47Hz LF range any lower will make the top end sound a tad dull. You will have noticed the natural droop already, which creates a naturally balanced FR. But as SAM can be switched in and out, it won't hurt to find out if my supposition is correct.

James

For anyone interested this is the new SAM profile of the Ergo IX with Devialet amps.

http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/ergo/ergo-e-ix#undefined

Nick

Hi There,
Just came across this thread.
As James mentioned, I can confirm that I had my Ergo-IXs pair measured by Devialet a few months ago. They were so kind to do so!!
I use the E-IXs with SAM now, and the driver excursion is limited for their protection. SAM really seems to make the most of the speakers, while protecting them
I must confess that the E-IXs / Devialet couple is a dream system :cool:
JC

17Hz...???!!! Crikey.

oops, didn't noticed that figure...
Frankly, SAM improves the overall signal for sure, but I don't feel such a bass extension as "17 Hz" would suggest
FYI, SAM can be switched on/off with the remote control. With SAM on, the important thing is that the music is better presented to my ears, in particular, the bass lines are easier to follow, in an effortless manner. It is the overall feeling that is improved rather than the bass extension per se

Does SAM include correcting for the room, or is it purely speaker correction?

IMO there is no point at all trying to push a ported speaker much below the port frequency as it acts like an open box. Can you set SAM to only work down to a certain frequency, or adjust how much correction it applies?

A bit of EQ can certainly bring great benefits especially if you are squeezing a driver into a slightly smaller box than ideal.

Does SAM include correcting for the room, or is it purely speaker correction?.
As far as I know, it is purely a speaker correction. I have heard that Devialet are also considering room EQ, but independantly from SAM

IMO there is no point at all trying to push a ported speaker much below the port frequency as it acts like an open box. Can you set SAM to only work down to a certain frequency, or adjust how much correction it applies?

A bit of EQ can certainly bring great benefits especially if you are squeezing a driver into a slightly smaller box than ideal.
Ergo speakers don't have port ... James can you confirm? ;)
As far as SAM is concerned, as a user, you can only enable or disable it as a whole. You don't have access to the level of correction. I guess Devialet could implement intermediate corrections, but currently it's "all of nothing "... Personally I find it works fine with E-IXs

Ergo speakers don't have port ... James can you confirm?

No port on the Ergo's, any of them. As it should be ;)
Ahem ...

The only Ergo to sport a port, much to my shame, was the first.

2652658-lg.jpg

Every Ergo since the E-I is acoustic suspension or infinite baffle.

I wasn't thinking much in those early days. We were all young, dumb and full of ideas once.

OK think I will have a set, how do I get put on the list?

Hi Nick,

Great stuff, just read through the options on the OP and email at the address I put there with your wishes. I'm hoping to finalise what people want this week an get an order in for the parts early next week or even the end of this week.

advertisement

Back