advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

Maybe you guys (Tenson & Stefan) should join forces to create a version using the active crossovers.....would probably make a killer system........
Ahem ...

The passive crossover couldn't be simpler. It delivers a seamless crossover with near perfect phase alignment. Those who have listened to them will understand what musical coherence is all about. In the absence of a highly complicated and deleterious crossover network, I'm unconvinced of the benefit active filtering and amplification can bring to a small loudspeaker. The only change I would consider is using a better attenuating resistor on the tweeter; perhaps a Mills.

If provided with the transfer function of the xover I could feasibly create active xover boards for self assembly.
;)

Given that the passive filters are published, I'm surprised you can't reverse engineer the transfer functions.

The only change I would consider is using a better attenuating resistor on the tweeter; perhaps a Mills

I'll happily supply a jantzen supares resistor, there is only pennies in it. They are 5W though not 10W I haven't modelled this crossover myself but I'd have thought that was fine. james?

Good luck with this.

I have a pair, and I'm relatively local to Stefan if anybody wants to try something, or Stefan wants to set up a dem. Both types of crossover are available, but I've no recollection of how they got varied/developed or what components are fitted. An internal inspection would be needed...

Paul

I'll happily supply a jantzen supares resistor, there is only pennies in it. They are 5W though not 10W I haven't modelled this crossover myself but I'd have thought that was fine. james?
5W is plenty. Is the supares one up from their MOX versions?

Thanks Paul,

I borrowed Paul's once before. They were very fine sounding speakers indeed.

If anyone wants a demonstration we could organise a group listen at mine one day / evening or at the weekend.

Stefan

I have a pair, and I'm relatively local to Stefan if anybody wants to try something, or Stefan wants to set up a dem. Both types of crossover are available, but I've no recollection of how they got varied/developed or what components are fitted. An internal inspection would be needed...
Hi Paul,

I knew your pair would come in handy one day. The two XO variants are free-space (for 4pi radiation) and wall-mount (for 2pi). The 2pi version is better for the typical masonry smaller British listening room, whereas the 4pi version is more suited to timber-framed lossy spaces.

This is the schematic for the 2pi version.

15022453-lg.jpg

The 4pi version has an extra inductor and different component values.

I think I may have built that as written, but varied the original free space version to taste. I recall sitting speakers on step ladders and working through a sequence of tweeter resistor values. I also recall taking turns off inductors, but perhaps that was a nightmare. Anyway I'll open them up and check before anything happens.

Open day or weekend at Stefan's seems like a good idea. Whatever I can do, etc.

Paul

Well done Stefan and best of luck getting lots of sales. I know I want to try these Ergos at some stage. Don't know who your bolt supplier is, but I've found Boltbase to be very competitively priced. Unfortunately they don't appear to do t-nuts. Perhaps they could be persuaded?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Stefan,

Sounds a great idea. What is the advantage of birch ply over solid wood?

Graham

With regards birch ply I presume. James I'm so tempted to take set fans offer up. Thanks for your design and allowing this.

Yes that's right Spike. Man made materials are much more stable although movement can be engineered into solid wood products it would be expensive and difficult to try and do any sort of repeatable machining for production runs with solid timber although not completely impossible if that is what people really want.

Stefan

;)

Given that the passive filters are published, I'm surprised you can't reverse engineer the transfer functions.

I was hoping somebody would make my life a little easier ;) Also export of the LspCAD target transfer functions would avoid mistakes.

Unless there are 50 or more people who want PCBs it's not exactly a money-maker, but I could provide my circuits to those who want them.

I was hoping somebody would make my life a little easier ;) Also export of the LspCAD target transfer functions would avoid mistakes.
Haha! I would if I could. Unfortunately, my LspCAD files are lost with the untimely death of an ancient Toshiba laptop. I might have to get a technician to see what they can recover if I get desperate.

I heard these speakers at Andrew Popely's bake off a number of years ago. I was very impressed and now i have two kids under six years old and very limited living rom space i am doing some serious pondering and chin stroking.

My living room is 3.6 x 3.6M with a bay window and is very full of the usual stuff and lots of kids toys. I was thinking maybe to put these speakers on the wall above head height.

Will this give satisfactory results ?

Thanks, Stu

These should fit better than a pair of DBLs, that much I'm confident. If the E-IX mounted high can be angled down towards the listener, I can't see why they won't work. It's a bit difficult to predict optimality, so I think your best best is to borrow a pair to see if they would work as you intend.

Cheers,
James

advertisement

Back