advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

Actually I have a set of Magico S5 at home which I use without SAM and they are quite good :D !!!! But I go to Spain for the winter each year and at the mo I take a pair of Mission 710 SE. I think the Ergo's might be better with or without SAM. It will be fun to find out though.....

Yes, I'm having some email issues though. I think it's just finger trouble. Trying to do many tasks at once I think. I'll hopefully get outlook syncing ways with my new email server later today.

Right all, I'd like to close this initial list by the end of the week so if anyone is thinking of joining or hesitating now is the time to add your name. Of course I can take orders in the future too but ordering now would save me some delivery costs to me from the manufacturers ;)

Stefan

I'm in - email sent to confirm. Stefan has agreed to do a pair for me in burr walnut , which should look rather good, I think, and worth a bit extra. Many thanks too, to James for allowing his designs to be used - a pair sealed box speakers has been an itch I've wanted to scratch for some time - my first "real" speakers back in the 1970s was a pair of AR6's - I don't think I appreciated them properly at the time before I moved on! I'll be using them with my current setup which is based on a Teddy Pardo ST60 amp and TeddyDacVC - Rega Apollo CD front end - which I reckon should be a decent match. Looking forward to the final result!

I'm really looking forward to seeing some veneered in the burr :)

We've got 3 almost confirmed orders now so should be able to start ordering parts very soon. If anyone else want's to join now is the time.

Stefan

Are you doing the finishing Stefan? I struggled with burr because of such deep and irregular grain. I recommend grain filler first.

Yes, I will be. You are right, burrs can be a pain in the ass and grain fillers are generally needed but if you go to far it can look like a plastic effect dash board, nice to have some natural feel to it.

... Many thanks too, to James for allowing his designs to be used - a pair sealed box speakers has been an itch I've wanted to scratch for some time - my first "real" speakers back in the 1970s was a pair of AR6's - I don't think I appreciated them properly at the time before I moved on!
It's a privilege to have my design adopted by so many. Long may it continue to be open source. I'm just pleased that Stefan can help make my design accessible to more people. My own hifi journey started with ARs too, and like you I probably didn't appreciate the AR94s I had.

Yes, I will be. You are right, burrs can be a pain in the ass and grain fillers are generally needed but if you go to far it can look like a plastic effect dash board, nice to have some natural feel to it.

I agree about seeing the natural grain of the wood, but as I said my journey with walnut burr was not an easy one. If you have not used it before, I suggest a trial run.

I agree about seeing the natural grain of the wood, but as I said my journey with walnut burr was not an easy one. If you have not used it before, I suggest a trial run.

Luckily I've used it a few times but each burr has it's own qualities and is always best to order a slice more than is needed to play around with

All official quotes sent, Components will be ordered upon recept of deposits and build will start soon thereafter.

:)

Awesome news, Stefan. Except for finishes, do they all have the standard offset and grille-less baffle?

Yes I'll get some piccies along the way although I am a bit crappier at that part despite being a photographer in the past!

All close to wall asymmetric baffle designs, grille less although 2 of them are mitred boxes not inset baffles.

Well I've pushed the button and paid my deposit, so here we go! Stefan has his eye on some suitable burr walnut veneer which he can now go ahead and order. I'm looking forward to the end result.

advertisement

Back