advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

Those Corian fronts did look good it's why I decided to go with the black valchromat for these kits.

I don't really feel the need to use a sub with mine, same with the full range speakers I supply. Sure they they dont go really low. If I want really low I use a different pair of speakers (lucky me I've got loads) but I tend to just listen to a speaker because it's good at what it does.

James, I'm very much enjoying the E-IXs in my man cave. They've taken the good part of a year to bed in and benefit from a lot of power, but I'll attest to the coherence and tonal accuracy. Can you recommend subs that would mate well? Or better still, do you have a sub DIY project that would mate with the E-IXs?
I'm pleased to hear you enjoy the E-IX. However, adding a sub to them is like asking for ketchup in a Michelin-rated restaurant, or strapping a turbo to a Mazda MX-5 or Subaru BR-Z to make them quicker. :D

Has anyone compared the E-IXs to commercial mini-monitors like LS50s, P3ESRs etc?
How do they stack up?

I am wondering whether or not to have a punt on a pair of these.
They would be electronically crossed over to my LF system.

At least one of my customers had a pair of p3esr which i think these replaced. Can't remember which one though!

I'm pleased to hear you enjoy the E-IX. However, adding a sub to them is like asking for ketchup in a Michelin-rated restaurant, or strapping a turbo to a Mazda MX-5 or Subaru BR-Z to make them quicker. :D
OK, I'll continue to enjoy them as is, and when I want that full body impression, I'll listen to bigger speakers! :)

Can you recommend subs that would mate well? Or better still, do you have a sub DIY project that would mate with the E-IXs?
Woofers with 8-10" drivers to be placed underneath the pair of E-IXs might be preferable particularly if they are on stands out in the room. This would enable the crossover frequency to be set higher at 200 Hz or so rather than the 80 Hz or so required by subwoofers that are scattered around the room. Such an arrangement would allow the mains to play louder and cleaner particularly in the important midrange which will no longer suffer from being modulated by large deflections of the midwoofer cone.

advertisement

Back