advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

Thanks James. Dbl's on wall mounts .........hahaha.

A bit more thinking needed on my part, especially wall mounts and placement.

My room is less than ideal and unfortunately the hifi has to fit around life and everything else so there is never going to be an ideal situation. Need to buy a bigger house with a dedicated listening room.

As far as distance between the speakers is concerned is there an optimum ? I suppose the amps may have a bearing on this. Mine are Avondale Ncc200 mono blocks with minicap6 and original nap140 transformers and cases.

Stu

Wall btakets can work well especially when you havnt cornerstone ports to worry about and even better when the speaker has been designed to be near a wall. I'd avoid having the brackets to close to the ceiling otherwise you'll get a lot of reflected sound. It would be a shame to ruin James' great phase response with reflections.

Maybe I should start selling DBL wall brackets...

I've made a couple of updates on the OP, i'd got a couple of the XO parts slightly wrong when I copied the amount from my price lists.

Also I had to add a little to the price of the midbass driver. When I priced this the distributor hadn't given me the full price list, they told me to copy the prices from Falcon and that there would be a profit in it. I've now got the price list and I'm not quite sure how Falcon are doing it at that price. They have just a 6% markup, which after shipping from the distributor is taken into account and their merchant fees for taking a payment seems to be actually costing them money! You are of course able to buy from them but buying from me does allow me to make about £8 on a driver which all helps.

I've also added some connectors and cable to complete the details.

Stefan

Next year I could be interested in a complete veneered pair to go with a Naim set-up. I will put them on wall brackets in my study. For now, however I will have to scratch my beard and wait, as I have over-invested in gear. This is not all bad: I have a set of AudioSmile LBM's coming my way in November.
Cheers to James and Stefan.
Peter

I would also be interested in a set but not till next year for similar reasons. Divorce is indeed a very expensive option and one I don't want to try again!!!!

Yes, we've all committed to other projects ;-)

Luckily you can never have enough loudspeakers
I agree.

4090688-md.jpg

I so wish I kept my copy of the E-IV (second from right).

I've got a rather sill amount of drivers I've collected just in case the perfect home for them crops up in a design down the road.

Hi all

Not sure if it is the same speakers but have just noticed that there are a pair of Ergo E IX listed in the SAM speaker matching for Devialet amps. Could it be these very Ergo's?

Nick

If think if someone other than James is calling their speakers Ergo E-IX, then James will have to sue them ;).

More seriously, they must the same. However, I don't not what listing it is that you are referring to. Perhaps its because I have little knowledge of Devialet.

Devialet have a system called SAM, speaker active matching where they carefully measure the cone movements of speakers and then adjust the amp so that the signal coming out of the speaker is as close as possible to the signal going in to the amp.

This has up till now been done on well known and/or expensive speaker systems in house.
There is now a mobile test unit going around and so I presume someone with E-IX's took them along. I know the unit has been in SE Asia and Australia so maybe that was where the measurement was done.

Anyway makes me even more determined to have a pair as my "going to Spain for the winter" speakers.

Hi all

Not sure if it is the same speakers but have just noticed that there are a pair of Ergo E IX listed in the SAM speaker matching for Devialet amps. Could it be these very Ergo's?

Nick
I think tof (JC) had his pair of E-IX measured by Devialet for SAMming.

Just a caveat though, the Scan-speak 15W is a small driver. Despite its generous excursion limits, they can easily suffer damage if you put too much LF through them. Please be mindful of that if driving them with grunty amps like the Devialet, and more so if the LF has been contoured with SAM.

James

Hi James

One of the controls that they do is put an excursion limit on the bass driver so even though the bass response is improved they limit the chance of damaging the speakers.

Nick

Ah, this is all great news, there must be quite a few devialet owners out there who want small speakers to go with their little magic amps.

That's interesting. I didn't realise. It's good to know there is an excursion limiter with SAM. The Scan-speak 15W8530K01 is good for +/-6.5mm with full linearity and +/-9mm mechanical maximum. So keeping it to 6mm is probably a good thing for its longevity and the music it plays. But I'm not sure if you'd get much amplitude at 17Hz. :D

Next year I could be interested in a complete veneered pair ... For now, however I will have to scratch my beard and wait, as I have over-invested in gear. This is not all bad: I have a set of AudioSmile LBM's coming my way in November.
Cheers to James and Stefan.
Peter

Well. If someone were to offer me a straight swap - a set of fully built plywood Ergos for my Nac 12 + Alps psu + Nap 160, I would not say no...

:D

Nice try but I got over my Naim obsession a while back. One day when I get a big bigger I might do part exchange, not yet though.

advertisement

Back