advertisement

England cricket - winter 2019/20

Well they can get close if either Root, Stokes, Bairstow or Buttler get a century. And frankly one of them should.

I think that England were hindered by the illness thing, but batting second will probably mean having to bat last, by which time the wicket will probably be a bit of a bastard.

Maybe it was just de Kock who rescued them? I've not watched much of this test, but England seemed to get off to a very strong start bowling first

When little Quinton was growing up in King Edward VII school in J'burg he was teased mercilessly by English heritage boys about his name.
Since then de Kock has been a guaranteed pain in England's arse...if you'll excuse the expression :)

And Root won the toss...

I wondered if the decision was influenced by how many of the top order were still suffering a bit. To be fair, the way they had SA in trouble it could easily have worked. The bowlers lost their way a bit having got them to 111-5 and Archer was struggling to be much of a threat. I don't think the toss was crucial.

I think if you win the toss & put the opposition in then you are expecting to get them out for less than 300. I cannot blame Root for that but 2nd innings collapse did all the damage, if we had got around 250ish the scoreboard pressure would not have been as onerous in the end.

I think if you win the toss & put the opposition in then you are expecting to get them out for less than 300. I cannot blame Root for that but 2nd innings collapse did all the damage, if we had got around 250ish the scoreboard pressure would not have been as onerous in the end.

Root is still not using Archer in the best way imo , he should be used in short spells to scare the batsmen and if he does not take a wicket the batsmen is likely to relax on facing the next slower bowler and make an error . He comes on again , the batsman is used to the slower pace and misjudges Archers pace . THis way he can be kept fresher and more venomous

Root is still not using Archer in the best way imo , he should be used in short spells to scare the batsmen and if he does not take a wicket the batsmen is likely to relax on facing the next slower bowler and make an error . He comes on again , the batsman is used to the slower pace and misjudges Archers pace . THis way he can be kept fresher and more venomous

Because he's protecting Stokes - they'll ruin Archer if they carry on like this

They also need a dependable spinner to hold an end to allow the quicks more recovery time ,not sure where he will be coming from unfortunately

The 1st Test went so well we thought we would have a game of football so competitive that we will injure our top scorer: Amateurs on a holiday jaunt to Cape Town.

advertisement

Back